Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Health, Grooming and Tack Q&A » possible locking stifle. other opinions...

possible locking stifle. other opinions... Expand / Collapse
Author

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 11/10/2015 5:32:48 PM
So before I begin with my huge long rambling post lol I just want to quickly update everyone on how the new barn is working out. let me just say, I LOVE it! My BO is amazing she is so sweet and kind and knowledgable. and im so happy Baylee is getting proper care now. and I love how BO notices things and actually talks to the owners. she noticed Baylee is losing topline (probably from lack of work) and she also noticed one day that Baylee was standing kind of awkward in the pasture so she went out and picked her hooves and checked for swelling and everything. which leads to this post.

so ive noticed this before and I feel awful for not paying closer attention. but Baylee always seems to stand funny on her hind right. its almost like she is tiptoeing.

more in next post

Though she be but little, she is fierce

banner by Susan

Post #2045892
Posted 3/15/2015 4:13:27 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

those pictures hardly show it but you can sorta see what im talking about.\
she also tends to stand under herself with her hind legs almost like shes trying to compensate for pain or something.
and shes always had problems with picking up her hind LEFT foot which would make sense because then she would have to put weight on her RIGHT foot. But its not swollen and its never hot. and it also doesn't seem painful for her when I feel it. but now that I look back at a couple videos it does seem like shes more choppy kind of with that leg.
we were working on circles and bending one time at the old place with trainer and trainer did point out that it seemed she was stiff and not wanting to bend when we were turning to the right.

but the big thing is what the farrier noticed last night. so I am now using my BOs farrier and she is wonderful. super knowledgable and good with horses and I really like her. Baylee was great for her front hooves but then farrier tried to do left hind and Baylee would kick out and move away. so farrier decided to the hind right before the left. but the farrier noticed that when she went to pick up Baylee's hoof (hind right) you could her a pop and see the stifle pop almost in and out when she would pick the hoof up and put it down. this is really concerning me. trying to get ahold of chiro to come out soon and then after that I am hopefully getting Baylee seen by a local vet who is really well known and trusted for his work with lameness and leg issues.

im sure im forgetting symptoms and stuff so I will probably end up posting more later. I will maybe try to add some videos too. im going out tomorrow so im going to video her stifle when I pick it up and stuff. also video her walking and trotting too probably

banner by Susan

Post #2045893
Posted 3/15/2015 4:21:28 PM

just remembered more...

im wondering if maybe this is an old injury that has come back. because im sure you guys remember, but I bought Baylee thinking she was broke. they were using her for lessons with little kids and was excellent. I know she wasn't drugged because we personally knew the barn owners that were selling her and trust them not to have drugged her. but before the barn owners confiscated her from old owners, the old owners only came out twice to see her so she was probably hardly, if not ever, worked prior to coming to my barn to be used in lessons. She was being used in lessons while she was for sale so that is when I bought her. she was great except we had a couple of accidents and issues which were probably from trust issues ands he was spooky. but then problems kept developing such as not moving off leg pressure not picking up back hooves mounting problems bending problems. so im wondering if maybe coming back into so much work could have caused or brought back an injury to her stifle or something. the third picture ive ever taken of her even shows her standing funny with that leg. I would post it but it shows faces of my dad and some other people so not going to for privacy reasons.

if anyone has any clue what this could be, please chime in! and if anyone has dealt with this.

im thinking maybe a weak or catching stifle? if it was a locked or loose stifle it would be locking up which it doesn't seem to be doing.

but I don't know what to do. even if she gets better she'll never be 100% and probably only good for light pleasure riding. I ride for pleasure but I also enjoy jumping and would really really like to get into barrel racing and she'll probably never be able to do tight circles again if this is a locked stifle. so praying and hoping I can figure this out

banner by Susan

Post #2045894
Posted 3/15/2015 5:57:14 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 11/10/2016 2:39:20 PM
Can you post a video of you working her?

-Hannah

juliette

Post #2045900
Posted 3/15/2015 6:40:39 PM

[quote]#HereWeGo (3/15/2015)
Can you post a video of you working her?

-Hannah[/quote]

I don't have a recent one because I haven't been riding much but I have a couple older ones.

banner by Susan

Post #2045906
Posted 3/15/2015 7:05:09 PM

found a couple pics I took of her tail that show her ankle (?) pretty well

working on getting some videos uploaded

banner by Susan

Post #2045908
Posted 3/15/2015 7:41:20 PM

photobucket isn't liking me but I managed to get one video. hopefully it works. ignore my eq I look like crap. this is the most recent video I have. she was also being a pain for some reason (maybe she was in pain?) and rearing so I was just trying to get through that without falling off lol
http://s1353.photobucket.com/user/bayleepalomino/media/IMG_3339_zps5uzbmpc0.mp4.html

banner by Susan

Post #2045911
Posted 3/16/2015 10:47:54 AM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 4/4/2016 7:01:07 AM
Look up Fibrotic Myopathy. My guy has it and he has the exact same problem, even the same foot. I'll see if I can get pictures of him later.

He kind of steps short with that foot, as if he can't take a whole step. There's no heat or swelling, but it's noticeable. He even stands the same way.

Post #2045927
Posted 3/16/2015 11:01:26 AM

I'm actually not finding too much about it but that could very well be a possibility. I'm going out today and I will probably video her at all gaits and see what she's like

banner by Susan

Post #2045928
Posted 3/16/2015 12:52:03 PM

Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 4/2/2015 7:15:51 PM
I could tell that she didn't want to step down on that foot and tended to try to keep weight off of it. She also did not seem to want to lope, which is less stress than the trot, but if she has a hind leg issue, that would make sense since the ope starts and comes from the back. I would be quite interested to here what the vet says.

Can Shoot Me Down, But I Won't Fall. I am Titanium

Run and hide, but we will find you. Our legacies, they live in our blood. Forever we will win these battles. We are smarter, faster, stronger.

I could never live without the strength of you by my side. You are my strength, my quickness, and my heart.

I will love you forever because love is the only thing in this world that is forever other than death, and true love goes to the grave.

Of course I believe in true love. I have you.

Snowy Dakota - SW Deluxe Candy
Post #2045944
Posted 3/16/2015 1:30:04 PM
Advanced Member

Last Login: 11/10/2016 2:39:20 PM
She's definitely not sound on it. That looks lower down in the leg than the stifle to me but I'm awful at hind end lameness (esp on gaited horses). It's something I would have a vet out ASAP for, especially if she stands on it like that all the time.

-Hannah

juliette

Post #2045949
Posted 3/16/2015 4:03:34 PM

I have a video of her stifle and it popping when I pick her hoof up but I can't get it to upload and you can barely see anything. Baylee was being a complete b*tch so I didn't get walking or trotting videos.
But she was definitely not wanting to put wait on it today. She would kind of hop on it a little but then put all weight on her left hind.
We finally got the number for the vet today so we will call him tonight and schedule asap.
We also got in contact with the barn that sold her to me and asked if they knew anything else about her and all they knew was that the guy bought her for his wife but he came out everyday for a week and rode but always told everyone that all baylee wanted to do was run. So he quit coming out and practically abandoned her. So who knows. Maybe she's had this for quite a while

banner by Susan

Post #2045953
Posted 3/17/2015 2:00:52 AM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 5/27/2016 7:19:55 PM
Well there's your answer for why she's always such a witch for you, it -is- pain after all :D You could always post the vids on the COTH forums for the lameness junkies over there, just be sure to put in that you're a kid and its your first horse so the armchair vets don't crucify you :| I can't watch the vid because my computer is a troll :(

-----------

the night hath been to me a more familiar face than that of man; and in her starry shade of dim and solitary loveliness i learned the language of another world.
I'm happy in summertime beneath the dark blue sky, nae thinkin in the mornin at nicht where i'm gang to lie
bothies or byres or barns, or oot amangst the hay,and if the weather does permit, I'm happy a' the day.

.holding my rebel banner up with pride.
Post #2045967
Posted 3/17/2015 9:47:57 AM

mephistopheles (3/17/2015)
Well there's your answer for why she's always such a witch for you, it -is- pain after all :D You could always post the vids on the COTH forums for the lameness junkies over there, just be sure to put in that you're a kid and its your first horse so the armchair vets don't crucify you :| I can't watch the vid because my computer is a troll :(

I feel awful about it! I can't believe I hadn't noticed it earlier. 5 he video is crap anyways. I can't get the actual good one to upload.

banner by Susan

Post #2045972
Posted 5/16/2015 7:22:38 AM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 6/16/2015 3:10:40 PM
Sorry for bumping this up, but how is she doing? What did the vet say?

-Ashley-

Post #2047719
Posted 5/27/2015 10:04:56 AM

RideEveryStride (5/16/2015)
Sorry for bumping this up, but how is she doing? What did the vet say?

Well long story short, th chiropractor adjusted her and that helped the stifle but then she was diagnosed with EPM and we are now dealing with club foot lameness

banner by Susan

Post #2047905
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 7:11am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation