Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Western Riding » pulling through the bit

pulling through the bit Expand / Collapse
Author

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 11/10/2015 5:32:48 PM
So for almost the whole time I've had baylee I've been riding her in this bit
http://www.sstack.com/English_Bits_Kimberwick/FES-Kimberwick-Snaffle
But it is my trainer's bit that I was borrowing so now that I am moving I have to give it back. I can't find another one anywhere so I went ahead and bought and single jointed uxeter kimberwick. She rides in it the same as with the other one except with this one she is a whole lot stronger and is almost pulling through the bit. I couldn't get her to slow down from a trot. Keep in mind that I know you shouldn't rely on the bit and I don't she just doesn't have the training right now to whoa off of leg and seat cues (something we are working on but need a bit first). So is there a way to help stop this? Or is it the bit? The mouthpiece on this new bit is a little bit thicker. I'm afraid to go up to a more severe bit because I don't want her to learn to pull against that one too. But I'm thinking about a little s hackamore and a smooth mouth jr cowhorse.

Though she be but little, she is fierce

banner by Susan

Post #2043506
Posted 2/13/2015 8:04:24 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 10/29/2016 11:30:06 AM
Do you use it as a snaffle or as a curb? I'd just get her softer in the mouth. Do lots of flexing and teach her as soon as she gives in the pressure will go away.

Thanks Abra!

Shaq and Jack
-Brianna-

Post #2043528
Posted 2/13/2015 8:26:55 PM

Last Login: 11/10/2015 5:32:48 PM
Using it as a curb.
I just don't why she is doing that all of a sudden. She's always had such a soft mouth. I guess maybe she was distracted because a new horse had just arrived at the barn a few mins before I got on and they were calling back and forth. She goes good most of the time in my egg but snaffle so I will probably use that and work more on what you said

Though she be but little, she is fierce

banner by Susan

Post #2043530
Posted 2/14/2015 7:21:02 AM

Last Login: 10/29/2016 11:30:06 AM
Hhm maybe she was just having an off day and was distracted like you said because of the other horse that was there. Sometimes my horses will be like that, where there are days they don't want to listen very well.

Thanks Abra!

Shaq and Jack
-Brianna-

Post #2043606
Posted 2/14/2015 7:23:50 AM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 10/19/2016 10:00:58 PM
Is she rooting?

~The Bat~

You're just as sane as I am

Post #2043607
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 3:25pm

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation