Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Horse Problems/Training Questions » Confidence issue?

Confidence issue? Expand / Collapse
Author

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 7/12/2015 7:45:56 AM
So ever since august, when i fell and lucy ran me over, she hasnt been the same...
I think it might be a confidence issue with her and me, its come to the point to where im scared to ride her.
Within 5 minutes of our ride, she's throwing her head up, bolting, rearing etc. just generally trying to get me off, and i thought it was the cold, but now im not so sure as its been going on since august(actually its now worse...)

One of my friends, who went through this with her mare, thought it was a confidence issue in both of us. She said lucy seemed to be scared to hurt me again and is trying to get me off because she doesnt want to hurt me again.

Its like theres a wall between us, and i cant break it...

Im gonna try to get a video, but it might be like saturday or sunday, so you guys will have to wait....

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2042152
Posted 2/3/2015 5:34:18 AM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 7/25/2016 11:35:43 AM
There might be a confidence issue with you, but definitely not Lucy. If you're scared every time you ride her, she's gonna know that and think there is also something she needs to be scared of, or just knowing that she might be able to take advantage of you, so she does. I would first get the vet out, then possibly a chiropractor, and have a experienced horse person check your tack to make sure nothing is rubbing/pinching. If she's fine physically, and her tack is fine, I would recommend for you to get lessons on a lesson horse to build your confidence back up in riding, and then maybe have lessons on Lucy.

-Lilyanna-
~Jackie & Medallion~
Banner by Abra
Was mistydixie
Post #2042155
Posted 2/3/2015 2:23:28 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 1/7/2017 2:52:56 PM
It could also be Lucy saying, 'Aha, I misbehave and I don't have to work! This is brilliant!' As my mom used to say, once they know how to dial your number, it's hard to delete it from their contacts. They know how to get you off and it's hard getting them over that.

close my eyes and cross my arms,
put me in the dirt, let me dream with the stars

Post #2042236
Posted 2/3/2015 2:32:33 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 10/19/2016 10:00:58 PM
Check your saddle/other tack
she sounds like a tester, is that correct?

~The Bat~

You're just as sane as I am

Post #2042240
Posted 2/3/2015 4:54:27 PM
Advanced Member

Last Login: 11/10/2016 2:39:20 PM
Ash (2/3/2015)
lucy seemed to be scared to hurt me again and is trying to get me off because she doesnt want to hurt me again.

That is a whole load of bs, not to mention that makes literally no sense

If you're scared of her, you're not going to be riding her as well as you normally would so that's contributing to the bad behavior. Also, because you're scared, she thinks there's something to be scared of, so obviously she's going to act scared/want to get out of there.

-Hannah

juliette

Post #2042288
Posted 2/3/2015 6:25:28 PM

Average Member

#HereWeGo (2/3/2015)
[quote]Ash (2/3/2015)
lucy seemed to be scared to hurt me again and is trying to get me off because she doesnt want to hurt me again.

That is a whole load of bs, not to mention that makes literally no sense

If you're scared of her, you're not going to be riding her as well as you normally would so that's contributing to the bad behavior. Also, because you're scared, she thinks there's something to be scared of, so obviously she's going to act scared/want to get out of there.

-Hannah[/quote]
Im not scared of her, im scared tor ride her...

ANd she's perfectly fine in the round pen/arena/whatever you wanna call it, its only when we ride outside of it she starts acting up.

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2042297
Posted 2/4/2015 1:54:22 PM
Advanced Member

Last Login: 11/10/2016 2:39:20 PM
Ash (2/3/2015)
#HereWeGo (2/3/2015)
Ash (2/3/2015)
That is a whole load of bs, not to mention that makes literally no senseIf you're scared of her, you're not going to be riding her as well as you normally would so that's contributing to the bad behavior. Also, because you're scared, she thinks there's something to be scared of, so obviously she's going to act scared/want to get out of there.-Hannah
Im not scared of her, im scared tor ride her...ANd she's perfectly fine in the round pen/arena/whatever you wanna call it, its only when we ride outside of it she starts acting up.

Yes, you're scared of her when you're riding her.

-Hannah

juliette

Post #2042417
Posted 2/4/2015 2:11:18 PM

Average Member

#HereWeGo (2/4/2015)
Ash (2/3/2015)
#HereWeGo (2/3/2015)
[quote]Ash (2/3/2015)
That is a whole load of bs, not to mention that makes literally no senseIf you're scared of her, you're not going to be riding her as well as you normally would so that's contributing to the bad behavior. Also, because you're scared, she thinks there's something to be scared of, so obviously she's going to act scared/want to get out of there.-Hannah
Im not scared of her, im scared tor ride her...ANd she's perfectly fine in the round pen/arena/whatever you wanna call it, its only when we ride outside of it she starts acting up.

Yes, you're scared of her when you're riding her.

-Hannah[/quote]
Yea...u thought you meant scared of her in General.

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2042420
Posted 2/5/2015 6:13:55 AM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 11/22/2016 5:04:23 AM
Hannah is a queen she doesn't think anything that isn't true

abrakadabra
I am the Lizard King, I can do anything.
Post #2042480
Posted 2/8/2015 9:54:08 AM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: 11/26/2015 7:36:04 AM
Your horse can sense that you're nervous which may also be causing her to throw her head and bolt when you are on her. What are you doing on her? I know that at my barn when horses do this generally they go to the chiropractor which helps a lot in the way they perform.

Heather Flannery

Post #2042760
Posted 3/9/2015 2:39:34 PM

Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 4/2/2015 7:15:51 PM
The reason she is having no problem in the round pen/arena/small lot or whatever is because you are probably a hell of a lot more calm in there. Outside she can bolt and go as far as she wants or buck you off and run to the moon and you're afraid you'll never see her again. Dana is right too. She's thinking "oooh this is easy! All I gotta do is act up and she'll leave me alone! You should probably spend about 80% of your time with her on the ground re-establishing that YOU are boss not her. She knows she is bigger now and she needs to forget it.

Can Shoot Me Down, But I Won't Fall. I am Titanium

Run and hide, but we will find you. Our legacies, they live in our blood. Forever we will win these battles. We are smarter, faster, stronger.

I could never live without the strength of you by my side. You are my strength, my quickness, and my heart.

I will love you forever because love is the only thing in this world that is forever other than death, and true love goes to the grave.

Of course I believe in true love. I have you.

Snowy Dakota - SW Deluxe Candy
Post #2045595
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 1:47am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation