Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Health, Grooming and Tack Q&A » Repairing Old Saddle

Repairing Old Saddle Expand / Collapse
Author

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 6/26/2016 9:16:11 PM
Okay so I just got this pancake saddle very cheap from my trainer, and I'm not sure what brand it is but it's about 40-60 years old and nice enough that my trainer showed her TB on the A circuit with it. The tree's still great, and I rode in it and adored it. I'm just not certain about a couple things:

1) The seat has two cracks, like so:

Would you say I should take the saddle in to get them repaired, or are they pretty inconsequential?

2) It's been a LONG time since I've been around horses regularly, so I know this is an insanely dumb question, but how often should I oil?

Used to be Princeshelby

equine blogfandom/personal blogmusic blog

My horse is Max. You can call me Shelby.

Post #2041908
Posted 2/1/2015 1:07:51 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 6/9/2016 8:43:20 AM
Kinda funny that you bought an old saddle! I just bought a 71 year old western saddle lol.

Anyway, honestly I feel like if you took it in, they would want to re-seat it. idk if you want to spend the money (I think it's like $750 around here but I live in IL so it's expensive) on it. If it's not getting worse, I probably would just leave it alone.

For oiling it, I never oil my stuff, but I wouldn't do it too frequently. My method is to wipe down with a damp cloth every time I ride and then when it starts to get dry/sad looking, I'll condition it. When I'm riding regularly, that's about every 2-3 weeks. I definitely wouldn't oil that much though, maybe 3-4 times a year tops. I'm not big on oil though so others will have to give their input on that.

Life never "happens" at a good time

Post #2041950
Posted 2/13/2015 10:49:19 PM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 6/9/2016 8:43:20 AM
Alright so I know that I've already responded once but I want to give some new info! haha. So I picked my western saddle up from the repair place a week ago. I've given it a light coat of oil every night since I got it home. Most of it is nice and soft and beautiful, although there are a couple of spots that need more oil. You should be familiar enough with tack to know when it's soft enough/doesn't need more oil so I guess my recommendation is to oil it (lightly, one coat a day at most) until it softens up nicely and you know that it really doesn't need more oil.

My western saddle does need a coat or two more of oil in just a couple of places, but aside from that, after a week, it's in wonderful shape.

Life never "happens" at a good time

Post #2043570
Posted 3/4/2015 2:41:21 PM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 5/27/2016 7:19:55 PM
The cost of repairing the seat is about 3x the value of the saddle, tbh.

-----------

the night hath been to me a more familiar face than that of man; and in her starry shade of dim and solitary loveliness i learned the language of another world.
I'm happy in summertime beneath the dark blue sky, nae thinkin in the mornin at nicht where i'm gang to lie
bothies or byres or barns, or oot amangst the hay,and if the weather does permit, I'm happy a' the day.

.holding my rebel banner up with pride.
Post #2045365
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 2 (2 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 7:47am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation