Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Horse Problems/Training Questions » Weird

Weird Expand / Collapse
Author

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 7/25/2016 11:35:43 AM
I was doing evening feed tonight, just standing there petting Jackie like normal, minding my own business, and she kicked out at me with her right hind. I was petting her stomach near her right. Thankfully I was able to get out of the way fast enough because that's the last thing I need lol. She did it the other day also when I was brushing her right hind so I felt it and such and there was no noticeable swelling or heat, and I trotted in her hand and my dad didnt see anything strange going on. I just thought it was a fluke, but then when it happened again today I don't know what it is. She does get pretty sassy when she's in heat, but normally only when working her. She had never offered to kick before this. She's usually really well mannered so I'm guessing its a health issue and Im trying to get the vet out here asap but its not going too well :/ Anybody have ideas? She was shut in her stall and it's super cold/windy/snowing so maybe that has her messed up? Idk

-Lilyanna-
~Jackie & Medallion~
Banner by Abra
Was mistydixie
Post #2040959
Posted 1/25/2015 5:45:06 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 10/19/2016 10:00:58 PM
Is she usually shut up when it's cold/wet/windy?

~The Bat~

You're just as sane as I am

Post #2040960
Posted 1/25/2015 5:48:28 PM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

eventing_tough (1/25/2015)
Is she usually shut up when it's cold/wet/windy?

Yeah

-Lilyanna-
~Jackie & Medallion~
Banner by Abra
Was mistydixie
Post #2040962
Posted 1/25/2015 5:59:26 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 10/19/2016 10:00:58 PM
We're keeping her away from her true love is the only explanation I have

~The Bat~

You're just as sane as I am

Post #2040964
Posted 1/25/2015 6:07:31 PM

Average Member

eventing_tough (1/25/2015)
We're keeping her away from her true love is the only explanation I have

This could be quite true

-Lilyanna-
~Jackie & Medallion~
Banner by Abra
Was mistydixie
Post #2040966
Posted 1/25/2015 7:22:56 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 11/10/2015 5:32:48 PM
If nothing else works out, try a chiropractor. I really really recommend it. Baylee was touchy too and is so much better now because her hip was out of place

Though she be but little, she is fierce

banner by Susan

Post #2040984
Posted 1/26/2015 5:27:20 AM

Average Member

bayleepalomino (1/25/2015)
If nothing else works out, try a chiropractor. I really really recommend it. Baylee was touchy too and is so much better now because her hip was out of place

Ok thanks might see if I can find one around here

-Lilyanna-
~Jackie & Medallion~
Banner by Abra
Was mistydixie
Post #2041022
Posted 1/26/2015 1:50:35 PM
Advanced Member

Last Login: 11/10/2016 2:39:20 PM
If she's been in the stall for longer than she's used to (like if she's used to living outside 24/7 and she's been in the stall for 24 hours) then all that pent up energy could definitely be the reason. Also if she's been in for longer than normal she could have developed ulcers, which would contribute to the cranky and hot behavior. It's the middle of winter so she definitely shouldn't be in heat unless you're keeping her under lights.

I don't think you need to get the vet out just because she kicked twice while she'd been confined; if the behavior doesn't go away after she's been outside again for a couple days then I'd start to worry. I'd pick up some Ulcergard to give her while she's in though.

-Hannah

juliette

Post #2041081
Posted 1/26/2015 2:15:53 PM

Average Member

[quote]#HereWeGo (1/26/2015)
If she's been in the stall for longer than she's used to (like if she's used to living outside 24/7 and she's been in the stall for 24 hours) then all that pent up energy could definitely be the reason. Also if she's been in for longer than normal she could have developed ulcers, which would contribute to the cranky and hot behavior. It's the middle of winter so she definitely shouldn't be in heat unless you're keeping her under lights.

I don't think you need to get the vet out just because she kicked twice while she'd been confined; if the behavior doesn't go away after she's been outside again for a couple days then I'd start to worry. I'd pick up some Ulcergard to give her while she's in though.

-Hannah[/quote]

Ok thanks. And yeah I have no idea what I was thinking when I said that she could be in heat lol. She had only been cooped up for a day when she did it the first time, and a few weeks ago she had to be in there for a weekish because it was -30 all week.

Thanks I had wondered about ulcers, and was planning on picking some Ulcergard up.

-Lilyanna-
~Jackie & Medallion~
Banner by Abra
Was mistydixie
Post #2041085
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 2 (2 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 3:20pm

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation