Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » English Riding » Leather vs. Nylon Girth

Leather vs. Nylon Girth Expand / Collapse
Author

Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 4/2/2015 7:15:51 PM
Right now I have a Nylon girth I have had forever and I was wondering if leather or Nylon is better. My girth never seems tight enough, and their was one instance where my girth slipped while I was cantering and my saddle did a 180 turn to where my girth was, and my girth was where my butt was supposed to be! Luckily, I had no stirrup pads, and my feet were out of the stirrups before I even hit the ground.

This iswhat my girth is like but older.

Can Shoot Me Down, But I Won't Fall. I am Titanium

Run and hide, but we will find you. Our legacies, they live in our blood. Forever we will win these battles. We are smarter, faster, stronger.

I could never live without the strength of you by my side. You are my strength, my quickness, and my heart.

I will love you forever because love is the only thing in this world that is forever other than death, and true love goes to the grave.

Of course I believe in true love. I have you.

Snowy Dakota - SW Deluxe Candy
Post #2039157
Posted 1/6/2015 4:59:05 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 9/11/2016 12:40:40 PM
I have a leather one, and I have a light brown show saddle. I prefer the texture of leather, so it's all about perspective.

sara and jetson

Post #2039224
Posted 1/7/2015 12:48:40 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 6/16/2015 3:10:40 PM
My trainer has nylon (not sure what they're technically called) girths without fleece for all the lesson horses. Really the only difference to me is that the nylon girths are easier to clean because you can just hose them off when you're done riding. None of the horses seem to care if their girth is leather or nylon, but some horses may have a preference.

It sounds like the girth you have now is way too big. As long as you and your horse both like it then you might just consider getting the same girth in a smaller size. If your girth is too big then it doesn't matter what its made of, it isn't going to hold your saddle on.

-Ashley-

Post #2039259
Posted 1/7/2015 2:12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Last Login: 11/10/2016 2:39:20 PM
If the one you have really is that PC one, it's a hell of a lot grippier than a leather girth. It sounds like your girth is way too big for your horse.

-Hannah

juliette

Post #2039264
Posted 1/9/2015 1:46:51 PM

Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Actually, I think its too small. I forgot to add that I can't get it tight enough and that'shy it slips. I have like two holes left on it. It barely fits Dakota.

Run and hide, but we will find you. Our legacies, they live in our blood. Forever we will win these battles. We are smarter, faster, stronger.

I could never live without the strength of you by my side. You are my strength, my quickness, and my heart.

I will love you forever because love is the only thing in this world that is forever other than death, and true love goes to the grave.

Post #2039485
Posted 1/9/2015 5:40:04 PM
Advanced Member

Last Login: 11/10/2016 2:39:20 PM
SonnyDakota1712 (1/9/2015)
Actually, I think its too small. I forgot to add that I can't get it tight enough and that'shy it slips. I have like two holes left on it. It barely fits Dakota.

If you can't tighten it enough and you don't have many holes left, that means it's too large...

-Hannah

juliette

Post #2039516
Posted 1/9/2015 7:06:00 PM

Starting Member

The holes on the very end of my strap to cinch up? (Can't remember what it's called....) I have to try hard to get it actually cinched up! Like it barely reaches the strap.

Post #2039530
Posted 1/10/2015 10:06:31 AM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 11/22/2016 5:04:23 AM
how can you not get it tight enough if it's too small?
if it was too small then it would be too tight lulz

abrakadabra
I am the Lizard King, I can do anything.
Post #2039565
Posted 1/10/2015 2:43:12 PM

Starting Member

Like my horse is too fat I guess

Post #2039645
Posted 1/12/2015 3:14:51 PM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 6/16/2015 3:10:40 PM
SonnyDakota1712 (1/10/2015)
Like my horse is too fat I guess

Maybe if you tighten the girth past the first hole then your saddle won't be doing 180 turns...

-Ashley-

Post #2039894
Posted 2/15/2015 10:37:58 AM

Starting Member

I don't know what happened, but the girth fits. I rode Kota (Dakotas nickname, not barn name) in it, and it fit fine. Maybe he got fat and it finally fits! He is going in for training March 6, and the trainer said even though he is going in for WP training, he would make a great English horse. He knows the difference between English and Western, bc in WP he slows down, but riding English he moves forward with energy! I am so proud of my boy, and thanks for getting it through my thick skull that the girth was too big!

Post #2043787
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 10:28am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation