Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Health, Grooming and Tack Q&A » Hay?

Hay? Expand / Collapse
Author

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 11/10/2015 5:32:48 PM
So now my bo is only giving Baylee one flake of hay am and pm because she says it is alfalfa and she says that it is super good and they have the inside market. (Obviously they don't have the inside market on roundbales >_<)
So someone correct if I'm wrong.
Wouldn't Baylee need more than one flake am and pm to help keep her warm?
And won't alfalfa be worse for her seeing that she is already almost overweight?
Would it be better if she had a timothy or mixed grass hay because she could have more of it to keep her warm or does one flake of alfalfa work to keep her warm all night?

Though she be but little, she is fierce

banner by Susan

Post #2039145
Posted 1/5/2015 3:19:48 PM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 7/25/2016 11:35:43 AM
Afalfa is usually only fed to brood mares and young horses that are still growing. It isnt the best for mature horses even though it is the highest type in nutrients. There is a study going around to see if alfalfa when fed to mature horses can cause liver damage but idk. I know all this cause we grow a lot of hay and we keep up on it lol. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think that any type of hay, only two flakes a day wouldn't be enough, especially with the cold. I would recommend a alfala/timothy mix, or just a grass mix. Mixes are good since they get the nutrients of the different types and aren't lacking or high in any one.

-Lilyanna-
~Jackie & Medallion~
Banner by Abra
Was mistydixie
Post #2039148
Posted 1/5/2015 3:22:18 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 11/4/2017 9:06:29 PM
We feed all our horses coastal, about six per horse per day and they're all in pretty nice shape
idrk though, our climates are very different
HOWEVER
there is one mare that colics if she eats coastal so she has probably five flakes of soaked alfalfa a day and she's not fat or crazy

~The Bat~

You're just as sane as I am

Post #2039149
Posted 1/5/2015 3:23:53 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 11/4/2017 9:06:29 PM
If it's of any interest Callie (alfalfa maresy) was/is a broodmare

~The Bat~

You're just as sane as I am

Post #2039150
Posted 1/5/2015 3:49:02 PM
Advanced Member

Last Login: 11/25/2017 7:35:59 PM
Gonna_Make_It (1/5/2015)
Afalfa is usually only fed to brood mares and young horses that are still growing. It isnt the best for mature horses even though it is the highest type in nutrients. There is a study going around to see if alfalfa when fed to mature horses can cause liver damage but idk.

Alfalfa is very commonly fed to performance horses...
It sounds like you've confused your facts. I can only find studies that say that alfalfa is beneficial to liver health. Alfalfa is bad to feed to horses that already have kidney damage because it's high in calcium, but it doesn't cause liver or kidney damage. The only thing I can find remotely related to what you're saying is that alfalfa bales can be contaminated with poisonous plants that cause liver damage.

OP, how much does one flake weigh? A flake isn't a standard unit of measurement; it could be anywhere from 1-5+ lb. How much hay she needs also depends on how much grain she gets and how much grass there is available.

-Hannah

juliette

Post #2039155
Posted 1/5/2015 5:56:51 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 11/10/2015 5:32:48 PM
#HereWeGo (1/5/2015)
[quote]Gonna_Make_It (1/5/2015)
Afalfa is usually only fed to brood mares and young horses that are still growing. It isnt the best for mature horses even though it is the highest type in nutrients. There is a study going around to see if alfalfa when fed to mature horses can cause liver damage but idk.

Alfalfa is very commonly fed to performance horses...
It sounds like you've confused your facts. I can only find studies that say that alfalfa is beneficial to liver health. Alfalfa is bad to feed to horses that already have kidney damage because it's high in calcium, but it doesn't cause liver or kidney damage. The only thing I can find remotely related to what you're saying is that alfalfa bales can be contaminated with poisonous plants that cause liver damage.

OP, how much does one flake weigh? A flake isn't a standard unit of measurement; it could be anywhere from 1-5+ lb. How much hay she needs also depends on how much grain she gets and how much grass there is available.

-Hannah[/quote]
I have no clue how much it weighs. They don't weigh the hay. She gets 1.5lbs of Buckeye Gro 'N Win a day and is on pasture from either 7-11 am (they have no set schedule on when they turn them out) until dark. But most of the grass is dead and the roundbale is crap

Though she be but little, she is fierce

banner by Susan

Post #2039165
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 2 (2 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 7:44am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation