Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Health, Grooming and Tack Q&A » Keeping weight on

Keeping weight on Expand / Collapse
Author

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 7/25/2016 11:35:43 AM
Medallion is nice and plumb (even fat) in the summer/spring/fall when he can be on pasture, but as soon as winter rolls around you can start seeing his ribs. What feeds/supplements/other stuff work well? Last year we used something that worked really well (forget what it's called) but the farm store discontinued it so I'm looking for something new to try. Someone just told me moldy bread, but I feel awful giving it to him a lot lol. I might try a senior feed. Right now he gets 4 flakes a day, half a scoop of oats, and pasture if the weather allows (not a lot).

-Lilyanna-
~Jackie & Medallion~
Banner by Abra
Was mistydixie
Post #2039120
Posted 1/5/2015 11:49:54 AM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 11/25/2017 7:35:59 PM
I'd up his hay to 6 flakes a day and see if that helps. I'd also personally switch to a pelleted feed instead of straight oats to make sure he gets all the nutrients he needs. If that's not enough, try adding rice bran.

-Hannah

juliette

Post #2039123
Posted 1/5/2015 12:30:36 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 6/16/2015 3:10:40 PM
I give my horse cool calories and that works pretty well. Also, make sure to weigh his hay so that you can be sure he's getting the correct amount. The weight of a flake can vary.

-Ashley-

Post #2039129
Posted 1/5/2015 1:24:58 PM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 7/25/2016 11:35:43 AM
Thanks guys!

-Lilyanna-
~Jackie & Medallion~
Banner by Abra
Was mistydixie
Post #2039134
Posted 1/5/2015 5:31:04 PM

Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 4/2/2015 7:15:51 PM
Corn oil and oats works like a charm. I'd add a scoop of oats with a generous drizzle of corn oil each day.

Can Shoot Me Down, But I Won't Fall. I am Titanium

Run and hide, but we will find you. Our legacies, they live in our blood. Forever we will win these battles. We are smarter, faster, stronger.

I could never live without the strength of you by my side. You are my strength, my quickness, and my heart.

I will love you forever because love is the only thing in this world that is forever other than death, and true love goes to the grave.

Of course I believe in true love. I have you.

Snowy Dakota - SW Deluxe Candy
Post #2039164
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 7:40am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation