Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Health, Grooming and Tack Q&A » Help

Help Expand / Collapse
Author

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 7/25/2016 11:35:43 AM
So yesterday I saw that Jackie had a little raw spot on her spine so I figured it was a saddle sore even though it had been a couple of days since I rode her and put some cream stuff on it that normally takes care of it. Today I went to do morning feed and her whole spine is raw, and it looks like it's oozing, and she won't let me get close to it. Does anybody know what I should do? Should I call the vet to come out?

-Lilyanna-
~Jackie & Medallion~
Banner by Abra
Was mistydixie
Post #2038708
Posted 1/2/2015 8:32:05 AM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 10/21/2016 6:18:43 PM
I would call the vet out!

Home is behind, the world ahead, and there are many paths to tread.

Post #2038712
Posted 1/2/2015 8:33:59 AM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 11/10/2015 5:32:48 PM
I have no idea what that could be.
Yes, I would definitely call the vet. I hope she's all right. Sounds nasty

Though she be but little, she is fierce

banner by Susan

Post #2038714
Posted 1/2/2015 9:28:50 AM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Ugh the vet is all booked up for the next few days. You would think that living super close to the 2nd largest city in IN there would be more then one large animal vet around here! I need to find a new one because this also happened when Medallion had colic and all I could do was walk him. Blah. Oh and she UTD on dewormer and she's almost never in the rain so its not rain rot

-Lilyanna-
~Jackie & Medallion~
Banner by Abra
Was mistydixie
Post #2038715
Posted 1/2/2015 2:46:55 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 10/29/2016 11:30:06 AM
last night I was watching a vet show on tv and a donkey had bald patches and it had horse lice

Thanks Abra!

Shaq and Jack
-Brianna-

Post #2038750
Posted 1/2/2015 4:11:44 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 7/5/2016 6:22:24 PM
lice could be the problem like Brianna was saying. Horses rub against trees, part of their stall, or fence post to itch themselves because lice are biting and sucking on her.

Taylor & Shadow

banner by Annie

Post #2038756
Posted 1/2/2015 5:47:15 PM

Average Member

Ok thanks I'll check for lice and we have some equine lice dust so I might put it on her as a precaution. There's absolutely nothing she could rub her back on though in her stall and she's been in the past couple days with only today out because of the weather though.

-Lilyanna-
~Jackie & Medallion~
Banner by Abra
Was mistydixie
Post #2038764
Posted 1/3/2015 10:39:31 AM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 5/27/2016 7:19:55 PM
This type of odd weather we've been having is a breeding ground for random skin funk on horses. I spray anything weird with banixx and it usually g's tfo pretty quick

-----------

the night hath been to me a more familiar face than that of man; and in her starry shade of dim and solitary loveliness i learned the language of another world.
I'm happy in summertime beneath the dark blue sky, nae thinkin in the mornin at nicht where i'm gang to lie
bothies or byres or barns, or oot amangst the hay,and if the weather does permit, I'm happy a' the day.

.holding my rebel banner up with pride.
Post #2038809
Posted 1/3/2015 11:09:30 AM

Average Member

mephistopheles (1/3/2015)
This type of odd weather we've been having is a breeding ground for random skin funk on horses. I spray anything weird with banixx and it usually g's tfo pretty quick

Lol I actually just bought from banixx today for her

-Lilyanna-
~Jackie & Medallion~
Banner by Abra
Was mistydixie
Post #2038814
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 7:41am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation