Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Western Riding » Ranch Sorting

Ranch Sorting Expand / Collapse
Author

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 11/26/2015 9:14:02 AM
Hi Everyone,
I have come across the sport of Ranch Sorting and I am really interested in trying and competing in it with my family. I would like to know what you all know about it, if you compete, what equipment you use, what training you and your horse have, etc.

Thank You
Post #2038148
Posted 12/30/2014 5:22:20 AM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 7/12/2015 7:45:56 AM
idk anything about it, but i think Horse Illustrated did a article on it before. If you have back issues,see if you can find anything on it...it looks a lot like a trail class to be tho...

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2038365
Posted 12/30/2014 6:06:01 AM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 7/25/2016 11:35:43 AM
I never have but at one of my lessons barns they did sorting/roping/penning so I know a little bit. The horses were all VERY well trained to do their job, but half of it is instinct. The one I rode in lessons always wanted to take off after the cows if he saw one lol. All of them were QHs casue their breeding is right for the instinct, but then again one of my QHs is terrified of cows so idk lol. They used western saddle and bridle (duh), shorter braided reins (not sure if they were barrels or meant for ranch work), and breast collars. That's basically the extent of my knowledge on that stuff but hope it helps a little lol. I would definitely recommend getting a trainer for you and your horse who knows what they're doing in this area.

-Lilyanna-
~Jackie & Medallion~
Banner by Abra
Was mistydixie
Post #2038373
Posted 12/31/2014 12:47:39 PM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: 11/26/2015 9:14:02 AM
I don't know where to start looking for a clinic or anyone who can tell me about Ranch sorting. I would like to know more before I just join a group. I search for clinics but nothing near me. The competition season seems to have ended or will be starting in February.
Post #2038542
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 10:12am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation