Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Health, Grooming and Tack Q&A » Horses and mini donkeys

Horses and mini donkeys Expand / Collapse
Author

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 5/16/2016 5:59:19 AM
Hi
So my Arab is extremely buddy sour and when i take my other mare to a show next year it will be a problem. Does anybody have or know what it is like to keep horses and mini donkeys together? How do they get along? It won't be a problem for my easy going QH but the Arab is a dominant mare. Thanks in advance.

3 barrels 2 hearts 1 passion

The only difference between cowgirls and angels is cowgirls can ride better.

Post #2037091
Posted 12/23/2014 8:49:51 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 1/6/2016 4:33:57 PM
I have mini donkey's and a mini horse at my barn. They don't put the mini donkey's in the pastures with the horses, because the mini's hate the horses, but those are our mini's- all mini's are different. If you where going to get a mini- I would lease him for a week or a month ( Whatever one you are comfortable with). Then If they like each other I would say It is a great idea to get a mini. It really depends on the horse, and mini. I hope this helps!

Post #2037103
Posted 12/23/2014 1:12:42 PM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 7/25/2016 11:35:43 AM
It just depends. I use to have a Mini/Shetland and we couldn't put her in with the other horses because she would beat them up lol

-Lilyanna-
~Jackie & Medallion~
Banner by Abra
Was mistydixie
Post #2037140
Posted 12/23/2014 3:30:23 PM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 7/12/2015 7:45:56 AM
My trainer has ponies,horses,minis and mini donkeys LOL

The mini donkeys are a pain-they take our tack and stuff and their LOUD. The minis are cute,and their put in with the horses. It really depends on the horse/pony. My mini mare would try to beat up sonny but adored lucy XD

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2037181
Posted 12/25/2014 6:56:43 AM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 5/27/2016 7:19:55 PM
I've had drafts, minis, ponies, donkeys and cows all turned out in my front pasture together before, everyone was fine. The only thing is make sure your bottom fence board is low enough they can't squeeze under and if you have the wrap around chain gate latches you might want to put a carabiner clip on the end and make sure its attached since my donkey figured out how to open it up pretty quickly lol

-----------

the night hath been to me a more familiar face than that of man; and in her starry shade of dim and solitary loveliness i learned the language of another world.
I'm happy in summertime beneath the dark blue sky, nae thinkin in the mornin at nicht where i'm gang to lie
bothies or byres or barns, or oot amangst the hay,and if the weather does permit, I'm happy a' the day.

.holding my rebel banner up with pride.
Post #2037412
Posted 12/25/2014 7:58:46 AM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: 5/16/2016 5:59:19 AM
Thanks guys,
It sounds like the donkeys might have more trouble with the horses then the other way around!
Hopefully next year sometime we can get 1 or 2

3 barrels 2 hearts 1 passion

The only difference between cowgirls and angels is cowgirls can ride better.

Post #2037417
Posted 12/25/2014 8:19:11 AM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 5/27/2016 7:19:55 PM
BarrelRacingBabe (12/25/2014)
Thanks guys,It sounds like the donkeys might have more trouble with the horses then the other way around!Hopefully next year sometime we can get 1 or 2
I have a theory that all equines are born with the same amount of 'tude its just more concentrated in ponies/minis due to the smaller size hence the butthole attitude so many of them have :P

-----------

the night hath been to me a more familiar face than that of man; and in her starry shade of dim and solitary loveliness i learned the language of another world.
I'm happy in summertime beneath the dark blue sky, nae thinkin in the mornin at nicht where i'm gang to lie
bothies or byres or barns, or oot amangst the hay,and if the weather does permit, I'm happy a' the day.

.holding my rebel banner up with pride.
Post #2037421
Posted 12/26/2014 4:59:28 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 9/18/2017 7:16:11 AM
mephistopheles (12/25/2014)
BarrelRacingBabe (12/25/2014)
Thanks guys,It sounds like the donkeys might have more trouble with the horses then the other way around!Hopefully next year sometime we can get 1 or 2
I have a theory that all equines are born with the same amount of 'tude its just more concentrated in ponies/minis due to the smaller size hence the butthole attitude so many of them have :P

Possibly the most accurate description of ponies I've ever seen xD

..::Emma and Red::..

I don't really miss God but I sure miss Santa Claus

Post #2037639
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 2 (2 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 5:02pm

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation