Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Health, Grooming and Tack Q&A » sweat sheet and bit

12»»

sweat sheet and bit Expand / Collapse
Author
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 7/5/2016 6:22:24 PM
I am looking to buy a sweat sheet for when Shadow gets stuck in the rain. I was looking at this one. I measured Shadow today for a measurement and she is a 62. The sweat sheet in the link has 66-70 which is the closes to her size. Should I get the one in the link or find another one?

I also have to buy a new bit since Shadow's last one was to small. I was looking at a happy mouth bit and I was wondering what you guys think about them. Are they any good? Are they good to train a green horse in?

Taylor & Shadow

banner by Annie

Post #2036781
Posted 12/22/2014 2:41:22 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 5/31/2016 6:19:29 PM
find another. if you get one that doesn't fit then it will rub her hair off in specific spots and will really irritate her. you'll have to find a pony one, which are usually pretty expensive compared to horse blankets.

Post #2036783
Posted 12/22/2014 2:42:37 PM
Advanced Member

Last Login: 11/25/2017 7:35:59 PM
She's around 14.2hh, right? There's no way she's a 62. My guess is she's somewhere between a 66-72.

The bit depends on the horse. Happy Mouth snaffles are soft enough to be good for green horses if it's something they like to go in, but you can find a regular stainless steel snaffle for less money and it could do the job just as well.

-Hannah

juliette

Post #2036784
Posted 12/22/2014 2:54:57 PM
Advanced Member

#HereWeGo (12/22/2014)
She's around 14.2hh, right? There's no way she's a 62. My guess is she's somewhere between a 66-72.

The bit depends on the horse. Happy Mouth snaffles are soft enough to be good for green horses if it's something they like to go in, but you can find a regular stainless steel snaffle for less money and it could do the job just as well.

-Hannah
yup. She is 14hh.

Taylor & Shadow

banner by Annie

Post #2036785
Posted 12/22/2014 3:24:15 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 10/29/2016 11:30:06 AM
I've always had really bad luck measuring for sheets. I do it the way it shows in pictures, from the chest to the tail and I always get ridiculous numbers.

Thanks Abra!

Shaq and Jack
-Brianna-

Post #2036791
Posted 12/22/2014 3:38:32 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 1/1/2017 4:04:42 PM
Cindi is a QH/Arab and is extremely quick. We used a harder bit to make her slow down but it didn't work. My instructor pur her in a happy mouth and it worked great. Now she slows down when asked. The happy mouth worked well for her.

Banner by Hakuna Matata

•Hawkeye•Cindi•Jewel•Ginger•Winnie•

Rest in Peace Tom & Rest in Peace Bella

Post #2036795
Posted 12/23/2014 1:51:04 AM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 5/27/2016 7:19:55 PM
#HereWeGo (12/22/2014)
She's around 14.2hh, right? There's no way she's a 62. My guess is she's somewhere between a 66-72.The bit depends on the horse. Happy Mouth snaffles are soft enough to be good for green horses if it's something they like to go in, but you can find a regular stainless steel snaffle for less money and it could do the job just as well.-Hannah
^yep i've seen much smaller ponies take a 62, I think ya got lost somewhere OP. Also with the happy mouths, if they chomp on the bit i've seen them get sharp edges pretty fast.

-----------

the night hath been to me a more familiar face than that of man; and in her starry shade of dim and solitary loveliness i learned the language of another world.
I'm happy in summertime beneath the dark blue sky, nae thinkin in the mornin at nicht where i'm gang to lie
bothies or byres or barns, or oot amangst the hay,and if the weather does permit, I'm happy a' the day.

.holding my rebel banner up with pride.
Post #2037076
Posted 12/23/2014 1:52:30 AM

Advanced Member

Bri_anna (12/22/2014)
I've always had really bad luck measuring for sheets. I do it the way it shows in pictures, from the chest to the tail and I always get ridiculous numbers.
Its a lot easier if you use a sewing tape, have someone hold the horse AND hold the one end in the middle of the horses chest, and you go round to the middle of the tail. Never had that way come out weird?

-----------

the night hath been to me a more familiar face than that of man; and in her starry shade of dim and solitary loveliness i learned the language of another world.
I'm happy in summertime beneath the dark blue sky, nae thinkin in the mornin at nicht where i'm gang to lie
bothies or byres or barns, or oot amangst the hay,and if the weather does permit, I'm happy a' the day.

Post #2037077
Posted 12/24/2014 3:52:30 PM
Advanced Member

I will probably just end up getting a regular snaffle bit. I will also measure her again. I used a regular cloth tape.

I got another thing to ask. Shadow gets stuck out in the rain a lot and I just don't want her to get cold and sick, get rain rot, etc. Is there some sort of blanket I can get that is made for just keeping her dry while it is raining?

Taylor & Shadow

banner by Annie

Post #2037364
Posted 12/24/2014 6:11:29 PM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: 5/16/2016 5:59:19 AM
[quote]shadower (12/24/2014)
I will probably just end up getting a regular snaffle bit. I will also measure her again. I used a regular cloth tape.

I got another thing to ask. Shadow gets stuck out in the rain a lot and I just don't want her to get cold and sick, get rain rot, etc. Is there some sort of blanket I can get that is made for just keeping her dry while it is raining?[/quote]

Use a rain sheet. I have just a super light one and it keeps my Arab dry but not hot in the summer.

3 barrels 2 hearts 1 passion

The only difference between cowgirls and angels is cowgirls can ride better.

Post #2037375
Posted 12/24/2014 8:15:35 PM
Advanced Member

Last Login: 11/25/2017 7:35:59 PM
shadower (12/24/2014)
I got another thing to ask. Shadow gets stuck out in the rain a lot and I just don't want her to get cold and sick, get rain rot, etc. Is there some sort of blanket I can get that is made for just keeping her dry while it is raining?

A turnout sheet

-Hannah

juliette

Post #2037386
Posted 12/26/2014 12:07:04 PM
Advanced Member

I measured her again yesterday from the middle of her chest to the middle of her tail and got 72in. Is that correct?

Taylor & Shadow

banner by Annie

Post #2037588
Posted 12/26/2014 12:44:06 PM
Advanced Member

Last Login: 9/13/2016 7:07:44 PM
Sounds a lot more correct than 62, Rosie's right around 14.2 and she's a 72 as well.

Lydia + Rosie

Post #2037595
Posted 12/26/2014 3:35:47 PM

Advanced Member

shadower (12/26/2014)
I measured her again yesterday from the middle of her chest to the middle of her tail and got 72in. Is that correct?
I'd guess so, my rather compact 16hh tb is a 75

-----------

Post #2037628
Posted 12/27/2014 1:32:56 PM
Advanced Member

I might get a turnout sheet or a sweat sheet. Shadow stands out in the rain and gets all wet but she is getting a shelter built today. She sometimes gets sweaty when I ride her. Should I get a turnout sheet or a sweat sheet? 

Taylor & Shadow

banner by Annie

Post #2037869
Posted 12/27/2014 2:14:12 PM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

I'd get a turnout sheet, because some sweat sheets aren't waterproof. I'd also bet that turnout sheets are more willing to withstand "horseplay" then a sweat sheet would.

Post #2037890
Posted 12/27/2014 5:51:10 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 11/10/2015 5:32:48 PM
shadower (12/27/2014)
I might get a turnout sheet or a sweat sheet. Shadow stands out in the rain and gets all wet but she is getting a shelter built today. She sometimes gets sweaty when I ride her. Should I get a turnout sheet or a sweatsheet?

Get a sweatshirt/cooler to use after you ride her and to dry her off with. A sweatsheet shouldn't be used in the pasture. If you want something for her to wear while she is turned out, get a waterproof rain sheet or lightweight sheet. To be honest, I wouldn't even bother with the turnout sheet. You're in florida right? It won't get too cold there and if it's raining for a long time the sheet could get wet and maybe a little wet on the inside and that would cause her to get chilled an would be worse than not wearing anything at all. The best protection for a horse is it's natural coat. When you put a sheet or blanket on a horse, you are pressing the hairs down which is essentially taking away the horse's natural ability to stay warm and protect itself.

Though she be but little, she is fierce

banner by Susan

Post #2037916
Posted 12/27/2014 6:16:52 PM

bayleepalomino (12/27/2014)
[quote]shadower (12/27/2014)
I might get a turnout sheet or a sweat sheet. Shadow stands out in the rain and gets all wet but she is getting a shelter built today. She sometimes gets sweaty when I ride her. Should I get a turnout sheet or a sweatsheet?

Get a sweatshirt/cooler to use after you ride her and to dry her off with. A sweatsheet shouldn't be used in the pasture. If you want something for her to wear while she is turned out, get a waterproof rain sheet or lightweight sheet. To be honest, I wouldn't even bother with the turnout sheet. You're in florida right? It won't get too cold there and if it's raining for a long time the sheet could get wet and maybe a little wet on the inside and that would cause her to get chilled an would be worse than not wearing anything at all. The best protection for a horse is it's natural coat. When you put a sheet or blanket on a horse, you are pressing the hairs down which is essentially taking away the horse's natural ability to stay warm and protect itself.[/quote]

Exactly, as long as it is warm and she has shelter from the wind she should be fine.

Post #2037924
Posted 12/27/2014 6:47:00 PM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 5/31/2016 6:19:29 PM
i agree with the two above. minor doesn't even have a shelter, he has trees lol. and even when it's raining he refuses to stand near the trees... just his hay and or grass. if you let her winter coat grow out (which won't be much at all for where you are) she should be fine.

Post #2037927
Posted 12/28/2014 3:46:49 PM
Advanced Member

bayleepalomino (12/27/2014)
shadower (12/27/2014)

Get a sweatshirt/cooler to use after you ride her and to dry her off with. A sweatsheet shouldn't be used in the pasture. If you want something for her to wear while she is turned out, get a waterproof rain sheet or lightweight sheet. To be honest, I wouldn't even bother with the turnout sheet. You're in florida right? It won't get too cold there and if it's raining for a long time the sheet could get wet and maybe a little wet on the inside and that would cause her to get chilled an would be worse than not wearing anything at all. The best protection for a horse is it's natural coat. When you put a sheet or blanket on a horse, you are pressing the hairs down which is essentially taking away the horse's natural ability to stay warm and protect itself.
yes, I live in Florida. I was worried that the wind would get her chilled after her workout or bath. What is the difference between a cooler and a sweat sheet?

Taylor & Shadow

banner by Annie

Post #2038062
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 7:39am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation