Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Western Riding » Breast collar fit

Breast collar fit Expand / Collapse
Author

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 11/10/2015 5:32:48 PM
So I am just now getting around to fitting Baylee's breastcollar an sadly it is too late to return it if it doesn't fit. I'm thinking it is too high where her neck ties into her chest. Could some of you please give your opinion? I want to use this for barrels so I don't want one that doesn't fit because it could make her uncomfortable. Luckily I only paid $30 for it but my mom will think I'm nuts for putting a new breast collar on my Christmas list xD
Sorry I have such crappy photos. I had some of the actual breast collar and of me fitting fingers in between it and her shoulder but they accidentally got deleted

I'm going to get a wither strap after Christmas, will that help any?
I might try this breast collar since it's contoured http://www.jefferspet.com/products/contoured-breast-collar

Though she be but little, she is fierce

banner by Susan

Post #2034753
Posted 12/11/2014 1:42:27 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 1/7/2017 2:52:56 PM
Okay first I have to ask is it a magic's wither strap? XD

But your right, the ring in the center of the breast collar looks too high up, it looks like it's on the base of her throat about? It also appears your breast collar is on the last hole for the buckles - it looks to me like it's just too small, and a wither strap won't help. A wither strap is good for moving the dees between the tugs and the beast collar strappy thing up, therefore freeing her shoudlers, and helping a bit in the case of a too big breast collar, like Rosie's. (Even though we custom measured her for her breast collar it's still too big xc) I'll go outside maybe and get a horse out and show you a well-fitting breast collar, a too-small breast collar (if I can manage it) and a too-big breast collar.

close my eyes and cross my arms,
put me in the dirt, let me dream with the stars

Post #2034773
Posted 12/11/2014 1:54:30 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

^no xD actually getting custom paracord reins and wither strap made. If I get a magic's strap I will only use it at shows. So will get that later once I have one to use for schooling
And I have to decide on a design haha

Ok that's what I thought. Someone suggested a contoured one or a pulling style. Not sure about the pulling style since they are used mainly for roping and they just look kind weird to me haha

banner by Susan

Post #2034778
Posted 12/11/2014 2:40:32 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

I also see pulling collars used for narrower-chested horses... Oh, by the way, does Baylee have a particularly broad chest? Or is it rather ordinary?
And the dees look really quite low on her shoulders - putting a wither strap in this breast collar properly adjusted might make the whole thing a bit too high, you know?
I got Rosie out and took some pictures, so:

Side of her breast collar (with Lydia's Christmas-present-from-me wither strap c;)

Two fingers between her shoulder and the breast collar (with lots of silver and black mane in the way)

Front of the breast collar, I like to not have to pull hard to be able to see the ground under her chest, Rosie's is a big loose in the front so maybe not this much ground!

Without the wither strap, her breast collar just slumps down on top of her shoulders (or it would if I had found Lydia's cinch and snapped the bottom tug on oops)
Help you?

Post #2034786
Posted 12/11/2014 3:14:11 PM

I really have no clue xD I think she has an ordinary chest. She's just weird for sizing stuff. Like she can wear some small horse/cob size stuff yet she can also wear average horse size. So I don't really know.
Ok yeah Baylee's definitely doesn't fit compared to Rosie's.

banner by Susan

Post #2034797
Posted 12/11/2014 3:58:20 PM
Advanced Member

Rosie's pretty petite too, it's like someone shrunk a horse a couple inches and that's her xD Not a distinct 'pony' build, but 14.2 and horse like.

Post #2034801
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 2 (2 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 3:24pm

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation