Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » English Riding » Help a Newbie Out😂

Help a Newbie Out😂 Expand / Collapse
Author
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 12/14/2014 7:21:27 PM
So I'm (pretty much) just getting into English after nine years western(don't hate me too much haha). At my barn we ride English over the winter, so I have had two winters experience. I just got an all-purpose English saddle, even though I will be primarily jumping. I was wondering what some good brands are, and what brands to watch out for. Also, I'm looking into getting an English bridle; what is the difference between a cavesson and a figure-8? I know the figure 8 is supposed to do something more, but I couldn't find much on it online. Thanks so much!
~Cory

♞Live to Ride, Ride to Live♞
Post #2033194
Posted 12/2/2014 10:28:03 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 11/4/2017 9:06:29 PM
Okay, so good tack brands, I love (old) Colligiate for saddles and Showmark/Circuit for bridles, and I'm sure there's plenty of people who will disagree with me.

This is a cavesson, it really doesn't do much of anything extra, other than keeping the bridle on.

This is a figure eight, it gives the rider more control. Not sure of any specifics because no one will give me a straight answer -.-

~The Bat~

You're just as sane as I am

Post #2033195
Posted 12/2/2014 10:45:23 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 11/10/2015 5:32:48 PM
^correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a figure 8 keeps the bit it the right position in the horse's mouth so that the rider has more control and even when your reins are slacked or loose the bit still stays tight with constant pressure

Though she be but little, she is fierce

banner by Susan

Post #2033196
Posted 12/2/2014 11:04:23 PM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 12/14/2014 7:21:27 PM
Okay, I knew what they looked like but couldn't figure out what they did differently. And my saddle is a Whitman, is that a good brand? I couldn't find anything negative about it in the research I did before I got it, even though I got it for $50, so honestly...lol

♞Live to Ride, Ride to Live♞
Post #2033199
Posted 12/3/2014 8:21:26 AM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 10/21/2016 6:18:43 PM
A figure eight noseband is for horses that gap or avoid the bit. It prevents them for gaping/avoiding the bit. A flash does the same thing, but a figure eight is better for letting the animal breath more normally.

Home is behind, the world ahead, and there are many paths to tread.

Post #2033220
Posted 12/3/2014 8:25:33 AM
Advanced Member

Last Login: 11/10/2016 2:39:20 PM
A figure 8 helps keep the horse's mouth closed and prevents them from crossing their jaw. Keep in mind you can't show in one for hunters or equitation.

-Hannah

juliette

Post #2033222
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 7:20am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation