Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Horse Problems/Training Questions » Blanket leg straps

Blanket leg straps Expand / Collapse
Author

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 11/10/2015 5:32:48 PM
So I just realized that the blanket I ordered Baylee has leg straps that are not removable. Which is a problem. She HATES the leg straps. On the blanket that she has been borrowing, I attached the leg straps and she went nuts kicking and spinning. It took my trainer about 25 mins to get her to hold slightly still to unhook them. So should I just cut off the leg straps on the new blanket or should I try and accustom her to them somehow? Should I just buckle them and just turn her loose in the arena or round pen or something to get used to them?

Though she be but little, she is fierce

banner by Susan

Post #2032139
Posted 11/28/2014 4:43:29 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 10/21/2016 6:18:43 PM
You need to get her used to it. Not having leg straps can be really dangerous. I know a horse who got spooked when his blanket blew up over his head, flipped over and really hurt himself.

I would just throw her in out in the arenas let her get over it.

Home is behind, the world ahead, and there are many paths to tread.

Post #2032149
Posted 11/28/2014 6:30:13 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 11/10/2016 2:39:20 PM
Is she fine with being brushed/touched on her hind legs?
I'd make sure they're adjusted properly (short enough that she can't get caught up in them if she freaks) and stick her in a round pen/similarly small paddock with a flake of hay.

-Hannah

juliette

Post #2032171
Posted 11/28/2014 6:51:05 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 11/10/2015 5:32:48 PM
She's not too thrilled with being handled on her back legs but she lets me. I've been working on her with that. So I think the leg straps just kind of set her off and wasn't what she was used to.
Yeah I'll probably put it on, adjust them, and throw her in the round pen with food and see how it works out

Though she be but little, she is fierce

banner by Susan

Post #2032173
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 3:17pm

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation