Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Horse Problems/Training Questions » Respecting the halter

Respecting the halter Expand / Collapse
Author

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 11/10/2015 5:32:48 PM
Ever since I got Baylee, I have been using a rope halter on her except for trailering. The reason being that she has no respect for the flat nylon halter whatsoever. She would drag me around and yank me and I could do nothing about it because she weighs a whole lot more than me (duh). How can I teach her to respect a halter like that. I have no problems in a rope halter so should I start with teaching her to yield to pressure in a rope halter and then transition to the flat halter? Or should I go straight to working in the flat halter?

Though she be but little, she is fierce

banner by Susan

Post #2031948
Posted 11/28/2014 5:57:46 AM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 7/12/2015 7:45:56 AM
If you have no problems in the rope halter and you arent gonna trailer her anytime soon, id start by teaching her to yield to pressure in the rope halter first. When you do start teaching it in the nylon halter tho, you could have a stud chain to help with control for the first few times you use it. Actually that its self might teach her lol

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2031951
Posted 11/28/2014 6:17:00 AM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

^she is fine with the rope halter, it's just that she knows that she can yank me around with the flat nylon one

banner by Susan

Post #2031953
Posted 11/28/2014 6:26:16 AM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 7/12/2015 7:45:56 AM
bayleepalomino (11/28/2014)
^she is fine with the rope halter, it's just that she knows that she can yank me around with the flat nylon one
just get a stud chain then. lol but dont yank on it or you could try teaching her to yeld, but chances are, shell just be dragging you around

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2031957
Posted 11/28/2014 6:39:09 AM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 5/31/2016 6:19:29 PM
lol don't result to using stud chains/rope halters your whole life. put her in a nylon and if she does something disrespectful smack her in the nose. she'll learn real quickly.

Post #2031958
Posted 11/28/2014 6:49:28 AM

Average Member

Last Login: 7/25/2016 11:35:43 AM
hullabaloo (11/28/2014)
lol don't result to using stud chains/rope halters your whole life. put her in a nylon and if she does something disrespectful smack her in the nose. she'll learn real quickly.

Lol yep. Or you can smack her on the shoulder with a crop when states being a butt. For the occasional going of property adventure, you could see a stud chain if you are worried about her taking off or something haha

-Lilyanna-
~Jackie & Medallion~
Banner by Abra
Was mistydixie
Post #2031960
Posted 11/28/2014 10:15:50 AM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: 5/16/2016 5:59:19 AM
Yup, soften her up nice in the rope halter before you try the nylon halter. I would use a chain under her chin threaded through the halter the first few times like Agraceful said just as a reminder. Or I've heard good things about Monty Roberts be nice halter for horses like that.

3 barrels 2 hearts 1 passion

The only difference between cowgirls and angels is cowgirls can ride better.

Post #2032012
Posted 11/28/2014 11:44:41 AM

Thanks everyone. I'm probably not going to ever be using a chain because the last time I used one on her, she went nuts. It was just threaded under the chin in the show halter for halter class and she HATED it.
So I'm going to teach her more respect and yielding to pressure on the ground in her rope halter and then switch to a flat one. And I will definitely be giving her a good smack when she tries pull me over or something

banner by Susan

Post #2032032
Posted 11/28/2014 12:45:42 PM

Last Login: 11/26/2015 9:55:59 AM
no dont smack her in the nose or else she could get headshy

Only those who risk going too far, can possibly find, how far they can go.
Post #2032053
Posted 11/28/2014 1:18:28 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 5/31/2016 6:19:29 PM
Equestrienne (11/28/2014)

that's only if you abuse the power, which any smart person can easily avoid.

Post #2032070
Posted 11/28/2014 2:18:09 PM

Average Member

Equestrienne (11/28/2014)

Nope. I always smack them in the nose if they aren't listening/nipping. It's really not that mean...I mean when we showed Begains (I was like ages 8-11...then we had my medical bills but yeah) we had a shocker and shocked them when they were hitched if they weren't looking pretty enough and guess what? We got grand champion in 6 mare hitch at world cause they had the best stances and were the most in synch with each other. I wouldn't recommend that exactly but just that smacking a horse on the nose isn't going to make them headshy as long as the power isn't abused.

-Lilyanna-
~Jackie & Medallion~
Banner by Abra
Was mistydixie
Post #2032092
Posted 11/28/2014 5:46:35 PM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 5/27/2016 7:19:55 PM
Lol if she's a twit with a stud chain I'd use it MORE to hammer home the point that YOU want it and its YOUR choice to use it and she is NOT the boss and she will behave in wahtever YOU feel the need to put her in. But I'm a mean face soo.

-----------

the night hath been to me a more familiar face than that of man; and in her starry shade of dim and solitary loveliness i learned the language of another world.
I'm happy in summertime beneath the dark blue sky, nae thinkin in the mornin at nicht where i'm gang to lie
bothies or byres or barns, or oot amangst the hay,and if the weather does permit, I'm happy a' the day.

.holding my rebel banner up with pride.
Post #2032158
Posted 11/28/2014 7:02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Last Login: 11/10/2016 2:39:20 PM
This thread omg
Don't be proud of abusing your horse so that it wins??? Not sure what rules Beglains are run under but that's very clearly illegal under USEF.
Don't hit horses in the face for trying to get away from you??? If she's trying to yank you somewhere, hitting her in the face is probably going to make her go that way faster (unless she's trying to run you over). Not to mention it hurts like hell if you miss their nose and hit bone.

OP-
Make sure she'll do whatever you want in a rope halter first (walk, trot, halt, back, turn, etc). Personally, I'd do some work getting her to work off your shoulder (she stops when you stop without touching the halter, she turns/pivots when you walk into her shoulder, etc) rather than just the halter. If she's trying to pull you somewhere, turn her in a small circle in the opposite direction. If she's trying to get out in front of you and drag you, halt and back hard each time she gets ahead of your shoulder. Try her in the flat halter by itself after she's good in the rope halter, but if she's still bad, put a stud chain on her. Some horses strongly prefer it one way or another, so I'd try it over her nose first. Make sure you're using it correctly; you need to use it with a quick, hard flick of your wrist instead of pulling and holding on it. If you're not comfortable dealing with her if she freaks, have someone else handle her until she gets used to it. Once she's good with it, just use it as a refresher whenever she gets rude again.

-Hannah

juliette

Post #2032176
Posted 11/28/2014 7:05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Last Login: 1/7/2017 2:52:56 PM
Hannah is very smart so

close my eyes and cross my arms,
put me in the dirt, let me dream with the stars

Post #2032179
Posted 11/28/2014 7:32:33 PM

Thank you Hannah.
I took a screen shot of your post so I can refer back to it

banner by Susan

Post #2032190
Posted 11/29/2014 6:55:38 AM

Average Member

[quote]#HereWeGo (11/28/2014)
This thread omg
Don't be proud of abusing your horse so that it wins??? Not sure what rules Beglains are run under but that's very clearly illegal under USEF.[/quote]

It's illegal to shock them in training? Multiple farms do it.

-Lilyanna-
~Jackie & Medallion~
Banner by Abra
Was mistydixie
Post #2032221
Posted 11/29/2014 12:45:53 PM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 5/27/2016 7:19:55 PM
#HereWeGo (11/28/2014)
This thread omgDon't be proud of abusing your horse so that it wins??? Not sure what rules Beglains are run under but that's very clearly illegal under USEF.Don't hit horses in the face for trying to get away from you??? If she's trying to yank you somewhere, hitting her in the face is probably going to make her go that way faster (unless she's trying to run you over). Not to mention it hurts like hell if you miss their nose and hit bone.
But clearly repeatedly hitting your horse in the face is the ONLY way to train it!!!!3243543463wdczxcfsd!!!!!

-----------

the night hath been to me a more familiar face than that of man; and in her starry shade of dim and solitary loveliness i learned the language of another world.
I'm happy in summertime beneath the dark blue sky, nae thinkin in the mornin at nicht where i'm gang to lie
bothies or byres or barns, or oot amangst the hay,and if the weather does permit, I'm happy a' the day.

.holding my rebel banner up with pride.
Post #2032267
Posted 11/29/2014 1:24:50 PM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: 5/16/2016 5:59:19 AM
I second Hannah, that is really good advice.

3 barrels 2 hearts 1 passion

The only difference between cowgirls and angels is cowgirls can ride better.

Post #2032286
Posted 11/29/2014 5:12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Last Login: 11/10/2016 2:39:20 PM
mistydixie (11/29/2014)
#HereWeGo (11/28/2014)
This thread omgDon't be proud of abusing your horse so that it wins??? Not sure what rules Beglains are run under but that's very clearly illegal under USEF.
It's illegal to shock them in training? Multiple farms do it.

"GR839 Cruelty to and Abuse of a Horse
4. The following acts are included under the words Cruelty and Abuse but are not
limited thereto:
f. Use of electric device in schooling or showing."

So technically not illegal unless you're doing it on the showgrounds but it's pretty common sense that if it's against the rules, it's probably not a good thing to do.

-Hannah

juliette

Post #2032351
Posted 12/29/2014 9:42:42 PM

Last Login: 11/26/2015 9:14:02 AM
I know that at the stable we used to work at we were told that if the horse did not listen or respect us or our space we should back them up a few strides then stop and let them think about it and when you saw a response you would continue what you were previously doing (walking,riding, etc.) if he did it again you would do the same thing.

Another thing with the walking was we were told (and it makes sense) don't hold the lead right by the face give the horse room to walk and look around so in a way give him his space when he starts to get in your space stop and back him up when it registers continue walking it only took a few times of doing this for the horses to know that they were not going to get away with it.

For the horses who did not like the sunscreen or their faces cleaned we would hold the damp rag or a hand with the sunscreen on their face until they stopped fighting us and we would remove our hand or rag( the pressure) and when we got the response that they got it we would reward (pat) and continue.

These techniques worked well for us and the horses.

The horses were respected and so were we.
Post #2038316
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 2 (2 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 3:15pm

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation