Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Horse Problems/Training Questions » Lazy Horse

Lazy Horse Expand / Collapse
Author
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 12/14/2014 7:21:27 PM
Sorry, this is a long one.
I've been leasing a horse since October. He's 10, but he's still really green and sat for years before I started leasing him. Whenever I go catch him, he'll walk up to me, but when i take him out of his pen(the horses are in outdoor pens with a shelter) he will stand and not move. I can get him going, but it's a pain. Then he'll move around when I'm cinching up and mounting(he's gotten better at that but he's still not "good") then when I'm riding he is VERY difficult to get going. Pretty much the only way to get him going is because I tick him off with my cues enough. I'm the first one to make him work in a really long time, so I can see how he would resent it, but how do I help him enjoy rides? Thanks,
~Cory

♞Live to Ride, Ride to Live♞
Post #2031886
Posted 11/26/2014 9:34:43 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 5/31/2016 6:19:29 PM
i don't think it's that he just doesn't like being ridden or is bored. i've met a lot of horses like this. they're literally just don't want to move lol. and moving while tightening the girth is very common. but carrying a crop with you would help. when you're trying to walk the horse to the barn and stops, give em a whack on the butt. same for when riding, because no one likes being whacked on the butt lol.

Post #2031887
Posted 11/27/2014 7:29:15 AM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 7/25/2016 11:35:43 AM
Lol yep crops are a horse persons gift from God

-Lilyanna-
~Jackie & Medallion~
Banner by Abra
Was mistydixie
Post #2031898
Posted 11/27/2014 8:21:36 AM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 5/27/2016 7:19:55 PM
stick stick stick stick stick

-----------

the night hath been to me a more familiar face than that of man; and in her starry shade of dim and solitary loveliness i learned the language of another world.
I'm happy in summertime beneath the dark blue sky, nae thinkin in the mornin at nicht where i'm gang to lie
bothies or byres or barns, or oot amangst the hay,and if the weather does permit, I'm happy a' the day.

.holding my rebel banner up with pride.
Post #2031908
Posted 11/28/2014 11:54:18 PM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 12/14/2014 7:21:27 PM
Haha okay, guess I'll be investing in a crop! I use spurs if he's being really bad, but they don't seem to have an effect, so I'll try this.

♞Live to Ride, Ride to Live♞
Post #2032215
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 7:43am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation