Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Horse Problems/Training Questions » Rearing??

Rearing?? Expand / Collapse
Author

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 7/12/2015 7:45:56 AM
Ok so at feeding time the geldings fight. They will bite kick and ive seen them rear before.(like this)
ive had it. They dont even have food and their fighting. I was told that Summit had a problem with wanting to be at the food first, but i just thought running, not fighting. They are fine once they have food its only before they have it. He did make sonny rear and like go sideways at the same time,and i almost of trampled. I cant separate them either. Lately they have just been kicking out at each other. They dont have shoes though. Is there anything i can do without separating them? im kinda done...theres been no serious injury's but yea....

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2028341
Posted 11/10/2014 7:47:07 AM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 11/26/2015 9:55:59 AM
well, at feeding time, you could put one in a separate pasture where he's still in sight of the other horses and feed him there and the other with Lucy. And then release him when they're done. I hope this helps!

Only those who risk going too far, can possibly find, how far they can go.
Post #2028352
Posted 11/10/2014 9:06:21 AM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Equestrienne (11/10/2014)
well, at feeding time, you could put one in a separate pasture where he's still in sight of the other horses and feed him there and the other with Lucy. And then releasehim when they're done. I hope this helps!

ive tried. but know when summit see's me and he neighs,he's kicking,pinning his ears and attacking the other 2 when they are like on the opposite of the field -.-

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2028361
Posted 11/10/2014 9:16:55 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 1/6/2016 4:33:57 PM
That's natural for horses. They are seeing who is going to be boss, and they will sometimes fight just to make sure the leader is still the leader. Mare's do the same thing, they nibble-bite, each other until one of them flinches, etc.... You can't really stop the gelding's. That is completely natural in horses, it's nothing to be worried about.

Post #2028364
Posted 11/10/2014 9:18:59 AM

Average Member

hammermeister (11/10/2014)
That's natural for horses. They are seeing who is going to be boss, and they will sometimes fight just to make sure the leader is still the leader. Mare's do the same thing, they nibble-bite, each other until one of them flinches, etc.... You can't really stop the gelding's. That is completely natural in horses, it's nothing to be worried about.

they dont fight any other times except for at feeding. and im not worried,im pissed off at them.

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2028365
Posted 11/10/2014 12:02:01 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 11/26/2015 9:55:59 AM
love the fray (11/10/2014)
Equestrienne (11/10/2014)
well, at feeding time, you could put one in a separate pasture where he's still in sight of the other horses and feed him there and the other with Lucy. And then releasehim when they're done. I hope this helps!

ive tried. but know when summit see's me and he neighs,he's kicking,pinning his ears and attacking the other 2 when they are like on the opposite of the field -.-
well, um, idk right now, but i'll keep thinking

Only those who risk going too far, can possibly find, how far they can go.
Post #2028416
Posted 11/10/2014 12:04:26 PM

Average Member

Last Login: 7/25/2016 11:35:43 AM
You need to put lots of small piles of feed/flakes around so they're out of reach of each other. Most the time, as long as they all have some they leave each other alone. You can't expect them to eat from the same pile/spot without fighting.

-Lilyanna-
~Jackie & Medallion~
Banner by Abra
Was mistydixie
Post #2028418
Posted 11/10/2014 2:03:11 PM

Last Login: 9/18/2017 7:16:11 AM
Without separating them, the only thing you can do is put multiple small bits of food around the paddock
Horses are horses, we can't control what they do to each other when they're turned out

..::Emma and Red::..

I don't really miss God but I sure miss Santa Claus

Post #2028491
Posted 11/10/2014 3:36:18 PM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: 5/16/2016 5:59:19 AM
You can't really stop them from fighting but like everyone said either separate them or put out multiple piles. Maybe take a lunge whip with you for your own safety just as a warning so they give you space.

3 barrels 2 hearts 1 passion

The only difference between cowgirls and angels is cowgirls can ride better.

Post #2028533
Posted 11/10/2014 4:17:09 PM

Average Member

ok....they arent eating form the same spot,they all of their own food away from each other -.- hopefully once they see theres nothing to fight about they will quit...hopefully.

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2028558
Posted 11/10/2014 4:18:41 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 11/4/2017 9:06:29 PM
If you're in any physical danger, make it so you can feed without going in, and feed whoever's instagating first.

~The Bat~

You're just as sane as I am

Post #2028559
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 7:38pm

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation