Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Horse Problems/Training Questions » High-Strung Morgan

High-Strung Morgan Expand / Collapse
Author

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 9/20/2015 11:45:35 AM
Ok, so I have a very high strung Morgan. I would like to ride her, but last time I tried, she went crazy. I couldn't handle her. At that time, I had her all tacked up, and outside the pasture away from her buddies. I would like to try riding her again. This time, in the pasture, with her buddies around, without any tack. Just a halter and lead rope. But, I am really nervous. I don't want her to go crazy while I am bareback, and take off with me on her. Is there any way you guys could give me tips? Should I do it? Should I start slowly, and how? Is it a good idea to do it in the pasture where she can see her buddies? Is there a way to keep her from going crazy with me on her? Haha, sorry about all the questions.

Post #2027470
Posted 11/3/2014 7:56:27 AM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 11/26/2015 9:55:59 AM
well, i have a mare named Dixie who freaks out if she's not near her buddies. So, I would suggest that the first time you try to get back on her, do it near her buddies. you could also try lunging her first to try to work some of her energy out, too. i don't know how you feel, but i like to be bareback because i feel more secure that way :P. If you want, you could ask an adult to lead you around on her to see if she's going to behave, and then try her by yourself. here's another tip: suck on a peppermint before you get on! they are supposed to calm you down! and when you have a calm you, then that will increase your chances of having a calm horse ;).

Only those who risk going too far, can possibly find, how far they can go.
Post #2027473
Posted 11/3/2014 10:37:10 AM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 7/25/2016 11:35:43 AM
You need to have someone experienced come check her tack to make sure that's not the issue, and have the vet out to check her for anything physical. If its not any of that, get a trainer. Also, I think you said it's a mare, she might have been in heat when you last rode her and some of them go completely crazy when they are.

First of all, it's seriously dumb to just go bareback with just a halter and lead rope if she went crazy last time. It's not safe, even for a experienced rider, and you seem to me like a total beginner basically. If you have to, do ride her where she can see her buddies, put a saddle and bridle on, and have a trainer with you to help. Don't just do it in a halter and bareback. You could get seriously hurt.

-Lilyanna-
~Jackie & Medallion~
Banner by Abra
Was mistydixie
Post #2027484
Posted 11/3/2014 11:33:46 AM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 11/10/2015 5:32:48 PM
don't ride her yet.

do some simple ground work and lunging and just gain her trust and get to know her and just help teach her the basics from the ground. you could start her over like a young horse. just go through the basics and make sure she knows everything and that there are no holes in her training.

it could be she just doesn't know what you are doing and asking of her

Though she be but little, she is fierce

banner by Susan

Post #2027492
Posted 11/3/2014 12:43:18 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 5/31/2016 6:19:29 PM
wow that does not sound like a good idea.
get her checked by a vet and lunge the crap out of it until it stops cantering on its own.

Post #2027515
Posted 11/3/2014 4:32:34 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 11/10/2016 2:39:20 PM
You couldn't handle her with a saddle and bridle on on so you think riding bareback with a halter is a better idea?

If she hasn't been ridden consistently (or ever? hard to tell from your description), of course she's going to be wild. Have a trainer or experienced horseperson get her into shape for you and put some miles on her. While you're finding a trainer, you can lunge her in properly adjusted side reins for 15-20 minutes a few times a week to start getting her into shape.

-Hannah

juliette

Post #2027605
Posted 11/3/2014 6:16:13 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 9/20/2015 11:45:35 AM
[quote]#HereWeGo (11/3/2014)
You couldn't handle her with a saddle and bridle on on so you think riding bareback with a halter is a better idea?

If she hasn't been ridden consistently (or ever? hard to tell from your description), of course she's going to be wild. Have a trainer or experienced horseperson get her into shape for you and put some miles on her. While you're finding a trainer, you can lunge her in properly adjusted side reins for 15-20 minutes a few times a week to start getting her into shape.

-Hannah[/quote]

She has been ridden. When we bought her, she was really really good, but it turns out, she had been drugged.

Post #2027635
Posted 11/27/2014 8:28:49 AM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 5/27/2016 7:19:55 PM
She's probably not broke or barely broke, you probably used ill fitting tack as the morgans I've seen around here tend to be kind of an odd fit, AND she's herdbound as hell. I'd start by turning her out ALONE for a good while and break that habit, thats probably the single most annoying thing a horse can be, in my opinion. My horses KNOW if they get even pretend to be herdbound they're gonna be weeding the arena by themselves for a few days :|||||

-----------

the night hath been to me a more familiar face than that of man; and in her starry shade of dim and solitary loveliness i learned the language of another world.
I'm happy in summertime beneath the dark blue sky, nae thinkin in the mornin at nicht where i'm gang to lie
bothies or byres or barns, or oot amangst the hay,and if the weather does permit, I'm happy a' the day.

.holding my rebel banner up with pride.
Post #2031911
Posted 11/27/2014 8:35:03 AM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 7/12/2015 7:45:56 AM
mephistopheles (11/27/2014)
She's probably not broke or barely broke, you probably used ill fitting tack as the morgans I've seen around here tend to be kind of an odd fit, AND she's herdbound as hell. I'd start by turning her out ALONE for a good while and break that habit, thats probably the single most annoying thing a horse can be, in my opinion. My horses KNOW if they get even pretend to be herdbound they're gonna be weeding the arena by themselves for a few days :|||||

My gelding is herdbound but its only when we leave the farm. Then i usually have to walk until the horses are out of sight, then he's fine. that or, he was sore, but he still refuses...he's fine in the 60 acre pasture tho....

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2031914
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 10:13am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation