Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Horse Problems/Training Questions » Bolting Horse

Bolting Horse Expand / Collapse
Author

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 5/16/2016 5:59:19 AM
Hi
So I'm having this issue with my mare...about 2wks ago my mare bolted when I was working on barrels. The problem is my pattern is set up in an old wheat field so she has over 100 acres of running space. Anyway she was unstoppable for a while until she leaped sideways and I fell and sprained my wrist. Took her out there again on Sunday. While she took off again this time the other way and I pulled my back out almost flying over her shoulder. It isn't the barrels as I was not even doing barrels when she took off last time. It is when I push her and she is hot and ready to quit. She only does this in this particular place and it is really unsafe as all of a sudden she just goes. I can probably turn her but I don't want to turn her into the field as she might run out to the neighbours. It is not safe and not fun. We are also 1 farm away from a major highway and I don't need her getting hit on the road if she gets loose. Any ideas? She is a sweetheart the rest of the time and she is great at doing barrels in the pasture and trail riding.

3 barrels 2 hearts 1 passion

The only difference between cowgirls and angels is cowgirls can ride better.

Post #2026388
Posted 10/27/2014 10:55:57 AM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 10/19/2016 10:00:58 PM
Turn her in the smallest circle you possibly can. In that area, don't ride her at a canter or a gallop for a while, but work with her at the walk and trot.

~The Bat~

You're just as sane as I am

Post #2026395
Posted 10/27/2014 3:06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 11/10/2016 2:39:20 PM
eventing_tough (10/27/2014)
Turn her in the smallest circle you possibly can.

If she's truly bolting, there's a decent chance you'd pull her right off her feet if you did that.
Try an emergency stop (plant one hand in her neck, lean back, and pick your other hand straight up and back hard) and if that doesn't work, turn her in a big circle and spiral in smaller as she slows down. Never use two hands at once to try to stop her; all she'll do is lean on you because you're giving her something to pull against.
If you can feel when she's about to bolt, spin her in a circle before she bolts.

-Hannah

juliette

Post #2026435
Posted 10/27/2014 3:57:48 PM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: 5/16/2016 5:59:19 AM
Hannah-
I was worried about pulling her over as well. I'd rather ride her out then be fell on. I will try those ideas next time I work her! Thanks

3 barrels 2 hearts 1 passion

The only difference between cowgirls and angels is cowgirls can ride better.

Post #2026439
Posted 10/28/2014 2:23:20 PM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 7/12/2015 7:45:56 AM
#HereWeGo (10/27/2014)
[quote]eventing_tough (10/27/2014)
Turn her in the smallest circle you possibly can.

If she's truly bolting, there's a decent chance you'd pull her right off her feet if you did that.
Try an emergency stop (plant one hand in her neck, lean back, and pick your other hand straight up and back hard) and if that doesn't work, turn her in a big circle and spiral in smaller as she slows down. Never use two hands at once to try to stop her; all she'll do is lean on you because you're giving her something to pull against.
If you can feel when she's about to bolt, spin her in a circle before she bolts.

-Hannah[/quote]
yea,dont use 2 hands to stop. my mare leaped out,around 6 feet from the ground.

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2026668
Posted 11/3/2014 1:20:21 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 11/8/2014 2:25:56 PM
it might help if you learn how to ride ;)
Post #2027537
Posted 11/3/2014 4:05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Last Login: 9/11/2016 12:40:40 PM
[quote]barnrat (11/3/2014)
it might help if you learn how to ride ;)
[/quote]

Maybe it would help if you weren't an ignorant troll (;

sara and jetson

Post #2027598
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 7:43am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation