Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Horse Problems/Training Questions » Encouraging "lazy" horse

Encouraging "lazy" horse Expand / Collapse
Author

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 10/28/2014 3:52:16 PM
Hey guys,
So i recently started riding this gelding: he is a 10 year old, about 16.2hh and not exactly sure what breed.
Anyway, I have been getting him back in shape for the woman I work for, and he is very hard to get encouraged, especially at the beginning of my ride. He was a rescue horse and it sounds like he was overused for lessons with little kids.
So, I don't want to push him too hard but I also want him to start doing more. We just do walk trot canter, leg yielding and turn on the forehand and recently started trot poles. He doesn't have any apparent medical issues and never seems to be in pain, always has his ears perked forward. I've been riding him for about 2 months and he has come a long way, however its just so hard to get/keep him going. I've done quite a bit of ground work with him which he responded well to, and he always nickers and comes to the gate when i go to get him. He's just so "lazy". Anyway, I'm rambling, but any help would be much appreciated.
Ps. I'm also taking a lesson on him once a week so I do have help from a trainer but I just wanted some other opinions/suggestions. :)

--Jasmine

"My horse's feet are as swift as rolling thunder,
she carries me away from all my fears,
and when the world threatens to fall asunder,
her mane is there to wipe away my tears."
I love you Twinkle!!!
(Banner/Picture to come)
Post #2026344
Posted 10/26/2014 4:53:58 PM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 7/12/2015 7:45:56 AM
It would hel to know what your doing already to get him to move. I have a VERY lazy gelding so your not alone.

one thing that helps get him moving is the "ask,tell,demand,promise"
method. Ask by squeezing your heels,tell by bumping/small kick,demand by tapping him with crop,promise by smacking him with crop.

Another one is using a crop,and everytime he doesnt respond to your leg,give him a tap(harder too if have too) behind your leg.

Another one is spurs. It works better for me,but my dog keeps eating the crops and/or little brothers think their swords/weapons so yea XD but good luck with your horse

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2026346
Posted 10/26/2014 5:31:20 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 11/10/2016 2:39:20 PM
Put your leg on and if he doesn't respond, cluck and use your stick. Rinse and repeat until he starts going forward off your leg. Make sure you take your leg off once he goes forward; if you're constantly squeezing you're just making him even more dead to your leg.

-Hannah

juliette

Post #2026352
Posted 10/26/2014 6:14:23 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 10/28/2014 3:52:16 PM
Thanks for the help :)
I usually, first use a voice command, wait to see if he responds, then squeeze with my legs, wait to see if he responds, and then if he doesn't tap him with the crop and then if he doesn't go, smack him with the crop.
That's been helping a lot and he has been moving off my legs quite a bit better now.
However, for the first 10-15 minutes of my ride, he will stop if I do not constantly tap (meaning like tap each stride) him on the butt with the dressage whip. So that is more what I am trying to alleviate.
Also, I think the last barn he was at just used a ton of kicking him so if I use too much leg or spurs he completely shuts down and won't do anything.
So, I try to avoid using too much leg until he trusts me more.

--Jasmine

"My horse's feet are as swift as rolling thunder,
she carries me away from all my fears,
and when the world threatens to fall asunder,
her mane is there to wipe away my tears."
I love you Twinkle!!!
(Banner/Picture to come)
Post #2026355
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 11:45am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation