Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Horse Problems/Training Questions » Gaiting and Trot Poles

Gaiting and Trot Poles Expand / Collapse
Author

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 7/12/2015 7:45:56 AM
ok so im going to try saddleseat. but sonny wont gait XD he did it when i went to my riding bud's house after the winter,so i guess he dos it for new horses...ill try getting pics sometime either today or tomorrow of what he does when asked to gait. i guess he gaits but its not like this:
its more of this:. so does anyone have any exp with gaited/saddleseat that could help me,or give me tips?

Also he jumps over trot poles lol i rode him yesterday and he acted like it was a bounce. ive tried that walk over it,then trot over it thing,didnt work. he only does it at the trot or canter so...help? XD its actually quite cute, he even bucked a little after it,it was like "look at what i did" like he was pleased with himself XD he acts like a 2 year old sometimes,even though he's 19

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2023237
Posted 10/8/2014 8:18:22 AM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 11/10/2016 2:39:20 PM

Well first of all this horse is trotting, not racking...and you don't need a gaited horse to do saddleseat.

Trot the pole on a circle until he stops jumping it.

-Hannah

juliette

Post #2023248
Posted 10/8/2014 9:28:03 AM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

i was told that you needed a gaited horse,and that they gait.......................................

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2023255
Posted 10/8/2014 9:37:57 AM

Average Member

ok,so i didnt really take the time to look for a pic,i just clicked the first one i saw.

anyways,he's the rack...? anyways yea...i wanna teach him this,as i was told saddleseat was for gaited horses...?

anyways heres the pic

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2023256
Posted 10/8/2014 4:27:00 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 11/10/2016 2:39:20 PM
love the fray (10/8/2014)
i was told that you needed a gaited horse,and that they gait.......................................

(I think you said your horse is a QHxASB) Saddlebreds are either shown 3 gaited or 5 gaited. 3 gaited horses perform just walk/trot/canter; 5 gaited is when you need them to also have the slow gait and rack. Other breeds such as Morgans, Arabs, etc are not gaited but are often shown saddleseat.

You can't just teach a horse to be the quality of the horses you posted; they're bred for that and born with conformation conducive to saddleseat riding. A QH cross? Probably not. If it were just a matter of training and none of natural ability, horses of the quality you're posting wouldn't be so special.

-Hannah

juliette

Post #2023343
Posted 10/8/2014 6:03:23 PM

Average Member

#HereWeGo (10/8/2014)
[quote]love the fray (10/8/2014)

(I think you said your horse is a QHxASB) Saddlebreds are either shown 3 gaited or 5 gaited. 3 gaited horses perform just walk/trot/canter; 5 gaited is when you need them to also have the slow gait and rack. Other breeds such as Morgans, Arabs, etc are not gaited but are often shown saddleseat.

You can't just teach a horse to be the quality of the horses you posted; they're bred for that and born with conformation conducive to saddleseat riding. A QH cross? Probably not. If it were just a matter of training and none of natural ability, horses of the quality you're posting wouldn't be so special.

-Hannah[/quote]
ah ok. i was wondering why their were 3 and 5 gaited SBs. i know he was trained to gait,and does it himself when he wants to. He is a QH/ASB
and yea,i know you cant teach the quality of horses i had posted.
i just want to enter some local shows in saddleseat,maybe even show him one year at the county fair. and id love for him to just gait.....

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2023357
Posted 10/9/2014 7:32:10 AM

Average Member

Last Login: 7/25/2016 11:35:43 AM
I took saddle seat lessons for 3 years (and showed all over the place) and I rode show quality SBs and Morgans, but I never gaited them. You don't have to have them gait to show saddle seat. Those trots in the pics are actually artificially taught, they don't do that naturally, and even then they're high quality horses need for it like where I rode they bred, raised, trained and showed them (even at world levels). If you have any questions about saddle seat feel free to pm me! I don't know if you've ridden saddle seat yet but I would recommend taking a few lessons in it because its very different just from English, even the saddle feels really weird at first and there's not as much security as even a English saddle.

-Lilyanna-
~Jackie & Medallion~
Banner by Abra
Was mistydixie
Post #2023408
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 7:26am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation