Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Horse Problems/Training Questions » copy cat

copy cat Expand / Collapse
Author

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 11/10/2015 5:32:48 PM
so Baylee has been copying another horse lately. it is my trainer's daughter's horse (we ride together a lot) that horse is a big brat. and by big, I mean 18 hands. he cribs, pulls back when tied, kicks other horses, is gate sour, hates water, busts through fences, and just has no respect whatsoever. and unfortunately Baylee has started to copy some of his behaviors. especially the water issue. she has always been fine with water crossings. when we trail ride we have to cross a creek and later on, a low spot where water always sits. she goes through the creek perfectly fine and so does the other horse. Baylee has always gone right through the low spot without concern but the other horse always leaps over it. well now Baylee has decided that she will copy him and leap over it too. she almost unseated me the other day. she looked like a lippazanner she jumped so big and far. so why does she copy him? how can I get her to stop?

and also, she is constantly in heat. like every other week it seems. she was never like this until thst same horse started getting turned out with her. can I stop this from happening? why is it only him that causes her to go into heat so often?
I recently put her on Mare Magic to help with her cycle

Though she be but little, she is fierce

banner by Susan

Post #2022972
Posted 10/6/2014 6:13:20 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 11/10/2016 2:39:20 PM
The horse's entire estrous cycle lasts 21-23 days and estrus lasts 5-7 days so she should be coming into heat every 2ish weeks. You might just be exaggerating how often she's in heat, idk. If she's really consistently coming into heat every other week, I'd definitely call your vet about that.

Mare Magic is literally just raspberry leaves. It does nothing to control hormones; all it does is help sooth the cramping associated with estrus. To control her cycle (make her stop cycling), you need either Depo or Regumate.

She copies the other horse because that's how animals survive. They see one animal do something that helps it survive and try to copy it so that it increases their chances of survival. The other horse thinks there might be something dangerous in the water, so your horse thinks there might be something dangerous in the water. Better safe than sorry.

-Hannah

juliette

Post #2022981
Posted 10/6/2014 6:19:14 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 11/10/2015 5:32:48 PM
That's what I meant about the mare magic. I am just using it to help make her comfortable. My trainer recommended it so yeah.

How do you suggest, I teach her to not leap over it every time? The next time Morris is out there, his owner agreed to let me pony her from him across it.

Though she be but little, she is fierce

banner by Susan

Post #2022984
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 11:46am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation