Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Western Riding » Barrels,Poles,Flag Plug

Barrels,Poles,Flag Plug Expand / Collapse
Author

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 7/12/2015 7:45:56 AM
Ok so my sister has claimed summit and i actually like the big guy :(

Anyways,she wants to do speed events at our 4-H fair in 2015. He is VERY clumsy,and really doesnt know where to put his feet. The show is sometime in late july/early september. In the summer,he would be at a trainers every week for lessons.

When i had my accident we were cantering did a barrel turn and he fell. I know he hasnt had any training and is clumsy so thats why he fell(and he was bucking) but im still hesitant to train him for speed events. Anyways,thoughts on that? and i wouldnt be training him alone,i do have a trainer lol

wasnt sure where to post...

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2022628
Posted 10/5/2014 4:46:40 PM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 10/15/2014 4:38:29 PM
how old is he? More info please. Past training? What do you mean that he is clumsy? is he just clumsy or just out of shape?

Post #2022827
Posted 10/7/2014 7:32:26 PM

Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 11/26/2015 5:30:36 PM
Maybe u should hold off on speed 4 a little while (probably not wanted what u wanted 2 hear huh? And I know exactly how that feels!) and just take it nice and slow first. Y not start with western pleasure first? That's what I did.

Sparx21

When God created the horse, he said to the magnificent creature, "I have made thee as no other."

~A pair of chaps and a cowboy hat don't make you a cowgirl.~ Anti pretender clique
Post #2023177
Posted 10/8/2014 5:34:17 AM

Average Member

he's 7. i believe he's been trained in western pleasure when he was around 3. he was sold and just sat in a field with a bit of training for 2-3 years before we got him. He's clumsy like he doesnt know where to put his feet. Ive shown in in english EQ,english pleasure,western pleasure,trail and western horsemanship(and halter and showmanship).

He has this HUGE canter stride,so i cant believe what his gallop stride is. He is part TB,and looks like he has got everything TB but his coloring XD

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2023233
Posted 10/8/2014 5:58:04 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 1/1/2017 4:04:42 PM
I don't ride Western but Hawkeye is also not good with knowing where to put his feet. We have been having him trot over poles on the ground and it seems to help him pick up his feet and place them correctly. We usually have him trot over 1 at first and then add more, as he learns to place his feet properly.

Your horse doesn't seen that old he could probably get the hang of it but I would definitely start slow when working on the patterns. Walk, trot.

Banner by Hakuna Matata

•Hawkeye•Cindi•Jewel•Ginger•Winnie•

Rest in Peace Tom & Rest in Peace Bella

Post #2023236
Posted 10/8/2014 6:04:20 AM

Average Member

[quote]Lets Ride (10/8/2014)
I don't ride Western but Hawkeye is also not good with knowing where to put his feet. We have been having him trot over poles on the ground and it seems to help him pick up his feet and place them correctly. We usually have him trot over 1 at first and then add more, as he learns to place his feet properly.

Your horse doesn't seen that old he could probably get the hang of it but I would definitely start slow when working on the patterns. Walk, trot.[/quote]

omg im not even going to THINK about cantering him around the pattern. I had a accident,he turned like a barrel horse and he fell. Im scared to,so ill be having my trainer do that.

Also,i dont ride western either,im barrel racing english XD

And yea,he's being trained to jump but wont pick his feet up...but he cleared a 4-5ft round bale perfectly,with very good form once,so i know he can do it...but yea,ill work him over poles again lol

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2023238
Posted 10/8/2014 6:25:34 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 1/1/2017 4:04:42 PM
love the fray (10/8/2014)
Lets Ride (10/8/2014)

Your horse doesn't seen that old he could probably get the hang of it but I would definitely start slow when working on the patterns. Walk, trot.[/quote]
[quote]omg im not even going to THINK about cantering him around the pattern. I had a accident,he turned like a barrel horse and he fell. Im scared to,so ill be having my trainer do that.

And yea,he's being trained to jump but wont pick his feet up...but he cleared a 4-5ft round bale perfectly,with very good form once,so i know he can do it...but yea,ill work him over poles again lol[/quote]

When we did the first jump with Hawkeye he would knock it over because he wouldn't pick of his feet. We actually raised it a little and gave him a small tap with the crop and he went over, didn't even touch the pole. The jump was only about a foot. If he did knock it over he would have to go around and do it again.

Banner by Hakuna Matata

•Hawkeye•Cindi•Jewel•Ginger•Winnie•

Rest in Peace Tom & Rest in Peace Bella

Post #2023239
Posted 10/8/2014 9:05:42 AM

Average Member

Lets Ride (10/8/2014)
[quote]love the fray (10/8/2014)
Lets Ride (10/8/2014)

[quote]omg im not even going to THINK about cantering him around the pattern. I had a accident,he turned like a barrel horse and he fell. Im scared to,so ill be having my trainer do that.

And yea,he's being trained to jump but wont pick his feet up...but he cleared a 4-5ft round bale perfectly,with very good form once,so i know he can do it...but yea,ill work him over poles again lol[/quote]

When we did the first jump with Hawkeye he would knock it over because he wouldn't pick of his feet. We actually raised it a little and gave him a small tap with the crop and he went over, didn't even touch the pole. The jump was only about a foot. If he did knock it over he would have to go around and do it again.[/quote]
i have some 10 gallon buckets i could use XD
its really different because the first horse i ever trained had jumped anything...lol he wont

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2023253
Posted 10/8/2014 10:23:34 AM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 1/7/2017 2:52:56 PM
If you can't canter him around a pattern and he's this clumsy keep him away from the barrel pattern for the love of god and both of your personal safety

close my eyes and cross my arms,
put me in the dirt, let me dream with the stars

Post #2023267
Posted 10/8/2014 10:28:37 AM

Average Member

GirlOnFire (10/8/2014)
If you can't canter him around a pattern and he's this clumsy keep him away from the barrel pattern for the love of god and both of your personal safety

im sure he could canter it. im just scared too...but my sister wants to barrel race so...he's her horse...

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2023268
Posted 10/8/2014 11:27:16 AM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 1/7/2017 2:52:56 PM
GirlOnFire (10/8/2014)
im sure he could canter it. im just scared too...but my sister wants to barrel race so...he's her horse...
If you're going through with it, at least get proper equipment

close my eyes and cross my arms,
put me in the dirt, let me dream with the stars

Post #2023287
Posted 10/21/2014 3:03:05 PM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 5/27/2016 7:19:55 PM
GirlOnFire (10/8/2014)
GirlOnFire (10/8/2014)
and from the sound of things, perhaps a rosary.

-----------

the night hath been to me a more familiar face than that of man; and in her starry shade of dim and solitary loveliness i learned the language of another world.
I'm happy in summertime beneath the dark blue sky, nae thinkin in the mornin at nicht where i'm gang to lie
bothies or byres or barns, or oot amangst the hay,and if the weather does permit, I'm happy a' the day.

.holding my rebel banner up with pride.
Post #2025245
Posted 10/21/2014 3:31:15 PM

Average Member

mephistopheles (10/21/2014)
GirlOnFire (10/8/2014)
GirlOnFire (10/8/2014)

what is a rosary?

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2025253
Posted 10/21/2014 5:08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Last Login: 9/13/2016 7:07:44 PM
love the fray (10/21/2014)
mephistopheles (10/21/2014)
GirlOnFire (10/8/2014)
GirlOnFire (10/8/2014)
what is a rosary?
oh my god

Lydia + Rosie

Post #2025275
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 7:45pm

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation