Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Horse Problems/Training Questions » Exercises for Oreo

Exercises for Oreo Expand / Collapse
Author

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 11/26/2015 9:55:59 AM
Hi! So Oreo is just the most clever, cutest, and most adorable pony you've ever seen! …Until you ride him. He bucks, side-steps, and does literally whatever he can to get you off. He's also the fattest pony. Do any of you have any ideas for what i can do every day so that he can lose weight ad maintain it? Also, i've noticed he has a slight limp in his left foreleg. And it's probably me, but his knee seems to be a bit swollen. He's been this way for months now, and i wonder if i should be worried. I only notice it when he's walking and standing sometimes. He runs and jumps just fine, but he slightly limps. Ideas? Thanks in advance! :)

Only those who risk going too far, can possibly find, how far they can go.
Post #2020448
Posted 9/12/2014 8:31:32 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 5/31/2016 6:19:29 PM
um yeah that seems like something to talk to a vet about. especially if he's limping and swollen, he definitely shouldn't be getting ridden.

Post #2020620
Posted 9/12/2014 9:11:09 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 6/29/2016 8:24:57 PM
If he's been limping and swollen for months and you want to ride him or do any kind of work (such as lunging), you need to have a vet out to find out whats wrong with him. He's in some sort of pain and working him will only make it worse. After he's all fixed up thennn you can start to work on his issues. As for the weight problem, is he on any kind of grain?

Sic parvis magna.

In the end we only regret the chances we didn't take.

Post #2020646
Posted 9/13/2014 11:22:43 AM

Well yeah he's always been pretty tough to ride so his leg didn't influence it. No, he isn't on any grain. He just eats grass in pasture all day. Okay i'll look into seeing about his limp. :) but i don't plan on riding him anytime soon because i always end up fallling off. After i figure out what's wrong with his leg, i'd just like some simple groundwork ideas for him. I tried lunging him once but he always gets spooked because it gets tangled up in his legs. Any more help? :)

Post #2020663
Posted 9/13/2014 1:27:17 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 5/31/2016 6:19:29 PM
Cricket2 (9/13/2014)
Well yeah he's always been pretty tough to ride so his leg didn't influence it. No, he isn't on any grain. He just eats grass in pasture all day. Okay i'll look into seeing about his limp. :) but i don't plan on riding him anytime soon because i always end up fallling off. After i figure out what's wrong with his leg, i'd just like some simple groundwork ideas for him. I tried lunging him once but he always gets spooked because it gets tangled up in his legs. Any more help? :)

how does the lunge line get tangled in his legs? that shouldn't happen if it's done properly. maybe see some youtube videos and see the differences.

Post #2020687
Posted 9/13/2014 8:06:03 PM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 11/4/2017 9:06:29 PM
A grazing muzzle should help with his weight.

~The Bat~

You're just as sane as I am

Post #2020724
Posted 9/14/2014 11:40:24 AM

hullabaloo (9/13/2014)
[quote]Cricket2 (9/13/2014)

how does the lunge line get tangled in his legs? that shouldn't happen if it's done properly. maybe see some youtube videos and see the differences.[/quote]
Idk… maybe because it's Storm's lunge line and it's really heavy. Do you think that lunging him in an enclosed area would help so that the other horses wouldn't get in the way?

Post #2020738
Posted 9/14/2014 6:30:45 PM

Last Login: 8/11/2015 12:24:34 PM
All lunge lines are the same right? Just try to make sure you are holding it right so it doesn't get tangled in his legs. Lunging him in a enclosed area would be best.

Ask the vet about his leg :) but if he's jumping and doing stuff in his pasture area then I don't think it's bugging him to much lol but still get the vet too look at it

Our bond can never be broken, Catherine & J.T. forever <3

Post #2020795
Posted 9/14/2014 6:32:20 PM
Advanced Member

Last Login: 11/10/2016 2:39:20 PM
Cricket2 (9/14/2014)
hullabaloo (9/13/2014)
Cricket2 (9/13/2014)
how does the lunge line get tangled in his legs? that shouldn't happen if it's done properly. maybe see some youtube videos and see the differences.
Idk… maybe because it's Storm's lunge line and it's really heavy. Do you think that lunging him in an enclosed area would help so that the other horses wouldn't get in the way?

Heavier lunge lines are great to lunge with because they're almost impossible for a horse to get tangled up in if you're lunging properly. I'm having a hard time envisioning how you're managing to get your horse tangled up while lunging unless either you've got most of the line laying on the ground and are only holding onto the very end or if the horse is cutting in badly on one side and you're not paying attention enough to take up the slack.

-Hannah

juliette

Post #2020797
Posted 9/15/2014 6:00:38 PM

#HereWeGo (9/14/2014)
Cricket2 (9/14/2014)
hullabaloo (9/13/2014)
[quote]Cricket2 (9/13/2014)

Heavier lunge lines are great to lunge with because they're almost impossible for a horse to get tangled up in if you're lunging properly. I'm having a hard time envisioning how you're managing to get your horse tangled up while lunging unless either you've got most of the line laying on the ground and are only holding onto the very end or if the horse is cutting in badly on one side and you're not paying attention enough to take up the slack.

-Hannah[/quote]

I think he cuts a lot and I'm not holding it right so I'll try again. :)
Catherine- yeah i don't think it's a big problem but I'll get someone to look at it. Thank you guys! :)

Post #2020857
Posted 9/15/2014 7:01:01 PM

Last Login: 10/29/2016 11:30:06 AM
If you free lunge you don't have to worry about the rope

Thanks Abra!

Shaq and Jack
-Brianna-

Post #2020861
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 11:45am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation