Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Western Riding » Teaching the lope

Teaching the lope Expand / Collapse
Author
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 9/11/2016 12:40:40 PM
so, Jet and I are going western for awhile, and I really want to achieve a good lope. are there any tips of how I can get him to slow down, stretch out, and lope correctly?

sara and jetson

Post #2019972
Posted 9/9/2014 10:57:44 AM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 7/25/2016 11:35:43 AM
What I did with Jackie was teach her a word that means slow down but not stop or go a gait down. I used easy and now if she takes off cantering (which is most the time) I tell her easy and she goes down to the lope.

-Lilyanna-
~Jackie & Medallion~
Banner by Abra
Was mistydixie
Post #2020109
Posted 7/27/2015 6:45:58 PM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 7/27/2015 6:40:25 PM
Every horse is different, so you will probably need to try many different things to slow your lope down. If you like a more natural horsemanship, then try asking for the lope/canter and about 3 strides in stopping and backing up. Try this for a few training rides and see if he responds. Depending on the horse and the person using the devices, a martingale and draw reins often put the horse on the bit and make them drop their heads. You can lift the reins and slow the lope that way. In western pleasure, most people teach horses that when you lift your hand that means drop your head and slow down. I have found that these two tools make it very easy to teach a horse basic collection, make sure to use them with a trainer at first so you don't accidentally use them improperly and to ensure your horse is comfortable with them. Loping in small circles should help as well as doing what we call "bending and turning." bend your horse at the jog/trot in small circles, serpentines, and side passing both directions. Hope this helps!

Horsegirl1789
Post #2048697
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 5:01pm

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation