Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Horse Problems/Training Questions » HELP

HELP Expand / Collapse
Author
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 12/14/2014 7:21:27 PM
Okay. So I'm not entirely sure how to word this without making the person sound terrible, but I'll try my best. At my barn, there is a horse who shall remain nameless, in case someone recognizes him, haha. Anyway, this horse is in kinda bad shape. He is healthy, don't get me wrong, and he has food and fresh water available.(He's a boarded horse) He has bite marks all over him from another horse(none fairly recently, however the hair has not grown back yet), his hooves need to be trimmed, and both his mane and tail are hopelessly tangled and halfway chewed off. I wanted to lease him, but the owner won't call my trainer/the barn owner back, and they haven't been out to ride him in at least a year. He's not abused, just neglected. It's nothing to call the SPCA for or anything, but what can I do to help him? CAN I do anything to help? (anything legal people haha, I don't need to get put in jail.) Sorry that was so long, if I left something out or you didn't understand something I said, I apologize but please ask me to clarify! Thanks!

♞Live to Ride, Ride to Live♞
Post #2019636
Posted 9/3/2014 8:01:05 PM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 4/7/2016 7:21:45 PM
You can ask the owner if you can groom him and stuff, I'm sure they would appreciate that. Do you ever get to talk to the owner? Maybe ask them again. Make sure to ask them before touching their horse though, I'm sure you know that.

Shelby & Callie

Post #2019642
Posted 9/3/2014 8:04:23 PM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Yeah, I got their permission to groom him two years ago, and did until I became too busy to go out on a regular basis. I haven't seen his owners in a year, though, so I can't ask them.:(

Post #2019644
Posted 9/3/2014 8:32:01 PM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 4/7/2016 7:21:45 PM
horsecrazycory (9/3/2014)
Yeah, I got their permission to groom him two years ago, and did until I became too busy to go out on a regular basis. I haven't seen his owners in a year, though, so I can't ask them.:(

Aw, that sucks. At least when you have time you can groom him a little. I really hope you can talk with his owners in the future, is there any way you can contact them? Do you have their number?
There might be nothing you can do though

Shelby & Callie

Post #2019648
Posted 9/7/2014 9:04:52 PM
Starting Member

Yeah, I'm going to start going out again on a regular basis. I don't have their number, unfortunately. As I said, they won't pick up for the barn owner, so there's really no way for me to contact them. I'm going to see if it's okay if I get his feet trimmed though when the farrier comes to the barn. I love this horse, and don't mind spending a little money on him to keep him happy and healthy.

Post #2020005
Posted 9/8/2014 4:57:11 AM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 5/31/2016 6:19:29 PM
horsecrazycory (9/7/2014)
Yeah, I'm going to start going out again on a regular basis. I don't have their number, unfortunately. As I said, they won't pick up for the barn owner, so there's really no way for me to contact them. I'm going to see if it's okay if I get his feet trimmed though when the farrier comes to the barn. I love this horse, and don't mind spending a little money on him to keep him happy and healthy.

to me honestly it sounds like the owners just dumped the horse there if they haven't been there in years or even contacted anyone. and legally, you're not aloud to have the horses feet done because you don't have permission from the 'owners'. i believe the barn is aloud to take the horses to auction/sell it by now since it's been so long but i'm not sure the date on that. my mom used to work for my old barn which had problems like this as well.

Post #2020015
Posted 9/8/2014 5:43:12 AM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 11/10/2015 5:32:48 PM
hullabaloo (9/8/2014)
[quote]horsecrazycory (9/7/2014)

to me honestly it sounds like the owners just dumped the horse there if they haven't been there in years or even contacted anyone. and legally, you're not aloud to have the horses feet done because you don't have permission from the 'owners'. i believe the barn is aloud to take the horses to auction/sell it by now since it's been so long but i'm not sure the date on that. my mom used to work for my old barn which had problems like this as well.[/quote]
That is what happened to Baylee. Her owners came out once in the 2 years they had her so after about 2 years the barn gained custody and sold her and that's how she ended up with me

Though she be but little, she is fierce

banner by Susan

Post #2020017
Posted 9/8/2014 8:29:33 AM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 5/31/2016 6:19:29 PM
bayleepalomino (9/8/2014)
[quote]hullabaloo (9/8/2014)
[quote]horsecrazycory (9/7/2014)

to me honestly it sounds like the owners just dumped the horse there if they haven't been there in years or even contacted anyone. and legally, you're not aloud to have the horses feet done because you don't have permission from the 'owners'. i believe the barn is aloud to take the horses to auction/sell it by now since it's been so long but i'm not sure the date on that. my mom used to work for my old barn which had problems like this as well.[/quote]
That is what happened to Baylee. Her owners came out once in the 2 years they had her so after about 2 years the barn gained custody and sold her and that's how she ended up with me[/quote]
yeah it's a sad thing, but it happens.

Post #2020022
Posted 9/8/2014 9:46:52 AM
Advanced Member

Last Login: 11/10/2016 2:39:20 PM
Do the owners still pay board? If not, check out the stableman's lien law in your state. It's possible that your barn could take ownership of the horse.

-Hannah

juliette

Post #2020025
Posted 9/8/2014 5:36:49 PM
Starting Member

Yeah that's why I was going to see it was okay. I obviously don't want to overstep my boundaries here. I'm not sure what's going on, if they're paying board or not, I believe the barn owner has some sort of deal with them, but, as it's really none of my business, I'm not sure. That sucks though if they abandoned him because I can't afford to own a horse.:(

Post #2020079
Posted 9/20/2014 6:58:36 PM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 5/27/2016 7:19:55 PM
hullabaloo (9/8/2014)
horsecrazycory (9/7/2014)
to me honestly it sounds like the owners just dumped the horse there if they haven't been there in years or even contacted anyone. and legally, you're not aloud to have the horses feet done because you don't have permission from the 'owners'. i believe the barn is aloud to take the horses to auction/sell it by now since it's been so long but i'm not sure the date on that. my mom used to work for my old barn which had problems like this as well.
You're talking about a 'stablemens lien' i believe, and in order to that one has to have not paid board in x months, depending on the state you're in. If they've paid board and just not come out, no dice.

-----------

the night hath been to me a more familiar face than that of man; and in her starry shade of dim and solitary loveliness i learned the language of another world.
I'm happy in summertime beneath the dark blue sky, nae thinkin in the mornin at nicht where i'm gang to lie
bothies or byres or barns, or oot amangst the hay,and if the weather does permit, I'm happy a' the day.

.holding my rebel banner up with pride.
Post #2021062
Posted 9/22/2014 10:26:40 PM
Starting Member

So we finally got a hold of the owners, and I'm going to be leasing this horse starting October, which turns out to be great for both parties. Thanks for your input guys!
~Cory

Post #2021136
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 11:36am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation