Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Western Riding » Trail riding at night

Trail riding at night Expand / Collapse
Author

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 11/10/2015 5:32:48 PM
So the ranch where I board and ride is 80 acres. There is 20 acres owned by another barn behind the ranch and the other barn lets us ride on their property. There is a show arena where we usually show just outside of the 20 acres so to get there (we ride there) we take a trail from our property cutting through the other barn's property and to the arena. Usually the show isn't done before 10 pm and we always have another person bring the trailer so we trailer home so we don't have to ride in the dark. However, there is a show this Saturday and me and another girl were planning on going to but the person who usually trailers the horses is out of town and no one else has a trunk or trailer at my barn. So our only option is to ride back. By it could be 3 am when we do. If that is how we end up going back, how can we be safe doing it? I really don't want to come across a deer or something and Baylee will spook and maybe bolt.

Though she be but little, she is fierce

banner by Susan

Post #2017817
Posted 8/11/2014 12:44:08 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 5/31/2016 6:19:29 PM
you could ride with one of those head light things on your head. my dad gets them for hunting. or bring a flash light and hold it. if the trail is near the road in any way you can get reflective vests and such.

Post #2017819
Posted 8/11/2014 1:06:26 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 1/1/2017 4:04:42 PM
I would definitely carry a flash light with you. I would also make sure you have a fully charged cell phone on you. Once on a trail ride the leader's horse spooked and took off with the only phone in her saddle bag. So it's good to have the phone on you.

Banner by Hakuna Matata

•Hawkeye•Cindi•Jewel•Ginger•Winnie•

Rest in Peace Tom & Rest in Peace Bella

Post #2017824
Posted 8/13/2014 7:55:00 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 11/10/2016 2:39:20 PM
I would definitely wear a head lamp, have a whistle, and bring a cell phone.

-Hannah

juliette

Post #2017977
Posted 8/13/2014 8:00:14 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

So my plan is to bring a headlamp, some glowsticks, a whistle, a phone clipped to my jeans, water, and maybe a little bell to put in the reins or something to alert wildlife

banner by Susan

Post #2017978
Posted 8/15/2014 5:43:04 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 9/21/2014 8:04:03 PM
sounds good! if you have one of those flashlights you clip on to a hat bill, you can clip it onto the crown piece of your bridle:)

-Banner by StopAndStare
Post #2018070
Posted 8/15/2014 6:03:21 PM

Oh that's a good idea! Too bad I don't hav one :( I'm doing it tomorrow night but I just now found out that my headlamp is shot. So I guess I'll have to carry a flashlight

banner by Susan

Post #2018073
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 11:35am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation