Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Horse Problems/Training Questions » Halter Showing

Halter Showing Expand / Collapse
Author

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 11/26/2015 9:14:02 AM
Hey Everyone,
I have been thinking of showing in halter, but I am not sure where to start the horse I would be using has no history(that I am aware of) of showing at all. I know the first thing some you will say is just go and see what it's like and take her with you so she can get used to the crowds, but I am sure some of you have shown in it and know something that can help me, I am sure anything is helpful.

Thank You

Post #2017769
Posted 8/10/2014 3:37:40 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 6/16/2015 3:10:40 PM
Halter is judged on how your horse is built. At the 4H level they typically have you walk and trot the horse in hand. Then you square them up and let the judge look at them (or thats how it works where i live). You should behave the same way you would if you were in a showmanship class. Your best bet to learn showmanship on your own is to watch youtube videos and read about it.

-Ashley-

Post #2017770
Posted 8/10/2014 6:28:47 PM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 7/25/2016 11:35:43 AM
RideEveryStride (8/10/2014)
Halter is judged on how your horse is built. At the 4H level they typically have you walk and trot the horse in hand. Then you square them up and let the judge look at them (or thats how it works where i live). You should behave the same way you would if you were in a showmanship class. Your best bet to learn showmanship on your own is to watch youtube videos and read about it.

Yep

-Lilyanna-
~Jackie & Medallion~
Banner by Abra
Was mistydixie
Post #2017778
Posted 8/10/2014 6:49:55 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 11/10/2015 5:32:48 PM
Everything that rideeverystride said. But also, I know around where I live we have a type of halter class called model halter. It's where you just walk in and stand your horse square and the judge walks around a looks at all the horses. You don't have to walk them or trot them or anything.

Though she be but little, she is fierce

banner by Susan

Post #2017779
Posted 8/11/2014 9:27:28 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 9/21/2014 8:04:03 PM
So halter is a little bit different than showmanship. Like these guys said^^ you generally walk to the judge and trot away. They watch your horses movement and the way he is built, his muscleing etc... However, for inspection when the judge/judges (at big shows theres usually more than one) comes to look at your horse, you dont have to use the quartering system. But since its all about your horse you dont want to be in the way of the judge looking at a certain part of your horse. When you set them up, stand so your feet are together and your belt buckle is pointing at your horses shoulder, and your body is a little in front of his nose (and to the side) when you walk and trot, make sure youre not pulling on him to get him to go (or her), precision is important. Ohhh. And for halter you can handset your horses feet or use your foot tp set them up. But for showmanship you CANNOT handset. And halter classes are categorized by gender and age of the horse. Goodluck and have fun:) halter and showmanship are my favorite classes ever.

-Banner by StopAndStare
Post #2017803
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 11:41am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation