Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Horse Problems/Training Questions » Jumping Advice ASAP

««123»»

Jumping Advice ASAP Expand / Collapse
Author

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 7/25/2016 11:35:43 AM
[quote]love the fray (8/5/2014)
my definition of liberty:a way to play with your horse,any horse can join/quit when they want,their not forced to do anything,they have the freedom they lack when being ridden/training. They chose who they follow, their not bound by tack/ropes. They have the liberty to do what they want,not what we want. We chose to follow,to mimic,to play with our horses,to become one of them, to play as one of them. No one is forced,we all chose.

no more said.thats that.good day to all.[/quote]

Have fun dieing!

-Lilyanna-
~Jackie & Medallion~
Banner by Abra
Was mistydixie
Post #2017424
Posted 8/8/2014 9:57:53 AM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 9/6/2015 12:17:46 PM
Wow. You guys are so ridiculously rude.

Anyhoo, I have some experience at trick training. There are a lot of good books on the subject, and online videos. I know Stacy westfall had a DVD seminar on it_ and I think Clinton Anderson did also. I prefer not to use treats for training. With some horses it might make them nippy.

Rearing isn't really a recommended trick, but it is your horse. Take things slow and be sure that the horse understands what you want him to do. It is no fun working a horse that over anticipates what you want him to do. Wear a helmet. Its a good idea.

Always think through each step in the training. Keep safety first always.
Good luck!

Think of Riding as a Science, but Love it as an Art-George Morris

Post #2017578
Posted 8/8/2014 2:28:07 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 9/11/2016 12:40:40 PM
^we're trying to warn the OP, so she doesn't end up hurt. hopefully she'll rethink her idea.

sara and jetson

Post #2017620
Posted 8/8/2014 2:48:26 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 7/5/2016 6:22:24 PM
I'm laughing at the thought of a 12 y/o teaching a horse to rear.  

Taylor & Shadow

banner by Annie

Post #2017627
Posted 8/8/2014 3:43:35 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 6/29/2016 8:24:57 PM
BackToBedlam (8/8/2014)
^we're trying to warn the OP, so she doesn't end up hurt. hopefully she'll rethink her idea.

Lawl. The way you and everyone else except for dressage4fun 'warned' her is more likely to make her do it just to prove you wrong.

Sic parvis magna.

In the end we only regret the chances we didn't take.

Post #2017631
Posted 8/9/2014 1:43:05 PM

Last Login: 9/6/2015 12:17:46 PM
SwiperNoSwiping (8/8/2014)
[quote]BackToBedlam (8/8/2014)

Lawl. The way you and everyone else except for dressage4fun 'warned' her is more likely to make her do it just to prove you wrong.[/quote]
Exactly. Just give her advice and leave it at that. If folks get hurt, well, oh, well

Think of Riding as a Science, but Love it as an Art-George Morris

Post #2017704
Posted 8/9/2014 3:27:11 PM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 11/22/2016 5:04:23 AM
more worried about the horse's safety tbh

abrakadabra
I am the Lizard King, I can do anything.
Post #2017721
Posted 8/10/2014 12:02:44 PM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 7/25/2016 11:35:43 AM
LostInADream (8/9/2014)
more worried about the horse's safety tbh

Same.

-Lilyanna-
~Jackie & Medallion~
Banner by Abra
Was mistydixie
Post #2017763
Posted 8/23/2014 7:09:53 PM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 5/27/2016 7:19:55 PM
survival of the fittest, i 'spose o.O

-----------

the night hath been to me a more familiar face than that of man; and in her starry shade of dim and solitary loveliness i learned the language of another world.
I'm happy in summertime beneath the dark blue sky, nae thinkin in the mornin at nicht where i'm gang to lie
bothies or byres or barns, or oot amangst the hay,and if the weather does permit, I'm happy a' the day.

.holding my rebel banner up with pride.
Post #2019020
Posted 8/24/2014 1:32:57 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 1/6/2016 4:33:57 PM
She asked for advice, not criticism. Quite being so condescending. She can do what she wants with her horse.

Post #2019042
Posted 8/24/2014 1:39:23 PM

Average Member

Last Login: 7/12/2015 7:45:56 AM
Thank You dressage4fun.

We start training tomorrow.(he was lam edue to abscesss' other wise itd have been started)

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2019043
Posted 8/24/2014 2:17:37 PM

Last Login: 9/18/2017 7:16:11 AM
hammermeister (8/24/2014)
She asked for advice, not criticism. Quite being so condescending. She can do what she wants with her horse.

Yes, she can do what she wants with her horse, so can you and I, but that doesn't make it a good idea. If i said I needed help with training my horse to viciously attack certain people on command, would you help me? I think not.
It's a stupid thing to do, we aren't being condescending, we are worried about the horse's safety

..::Emma and Red::..

I don't really miss God but I sure miss Santa Claus

Post #2019044
Posted 8/24/2014 3:57:27 PM

Average Member

redluva (8/24/2014)
[quote]hammermeister (8/24/2014)

Yes, she can do what she wants with her horse, so can you and I, but that doesn't make it a good idea. If i said I needed help with training my horse to viciously attack certain people on command, would you help me? I think not.
It's a stupid thing to do, we aren't being condescending, we are worried about the horse's safety
[/quote]
And how about you guys stop being jerks?

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2019049
Posted 8/24/2014 6:28:41 PM
Advanced Member

Last Login: 10/5/2016 2:39:32 PM
not going to tell you the whole story, but a horse that was trained to rear basically ruined not only my friend's riding career but her normal life as well

idk man i think i'm cool so.

Post #2019057
Posted 8/24/2014 6:41:33 PM

love the fray (8/24/2014)
redluva (8/24/2014)
hammermeister (8/24/2014)
Yes, she can do what she wants with her horse, so can you and I, but that doesn't make it a good idea. If i said I needed help with training my horse to viciously attack certain people on command, would you help me? I think not. It's a stupid thing to do, we aren't being condescending, we are worried about the horse's safety
And how about you guys stop being jerks?

Lulz k you yhave been a jerk countless times to us so
Believe it or not, i don't come on here just to piss on people's dreams, but i will tell you the hard and honest truth, which is YOU AND YOUR HORSE could get SERIOUSLY INJURED if you proceed in your journey of "liberty" training. You haven't listened to us before, which leads me to believe you may be trolling, so i doubt you will listen now. That being said, i fully expect you to attempt to train your "champion" horse (or is that another I'm thinking of?) how to rear, but if and when the sh!t hits the fan and someone gets hurt because of the "training", then i hope you will remember the numerous posts warning you not to
Which I'm sure you won't

Post #2019058
Posted 8/25/2014 7:31:19 AM
Advanced Member

Last Login: 9/11/2016 12:40:40 PM
Well, since there's no stopping you and your shenanigans, please be safe with what you do. We have given you ample warnings about the consquences, and I urge you to rethink your choice. And I think the rest of us just have to accept that she's not going anywhere and being more forceful isn't going to help any.

And Taylor, age has nothing to do with it. A ten year old that has been riding for 3 years can know the same amount as a 16 year old that also has 3 years of horse experience. FYI. (maturity not being a factor b/c 27 year olds can be mature as 16 year olds)

sara and jetson

Post #2019078
Posted 8/25/2014 11:11:14 AM

Average Member

I AM VERY AWARE OF THE DANGERS OF TEACHING A HORSE TO REAR.

Also,what about the dangers of OTHER EVENTS?

How about Show Jumping? A horse and rider could be killed instantly.
And Barrel Racing. One wrong turn,the horse is down with a broken leg.
And pleasure. A horse could spook,a rider could fall,shatter her skull,a horse could break a leg,get a foot trapped in the bridle etc

We also are in danger of even INTERACTING with a horse. One move form a horse and we could be dead. WHY should trick training be any different? And BEFORE you answer "Well,its jsut not right,it goes against the nature of the horse," etc. think about other disciplines. Naturally, a horse wouldnt run barrels, pick up his feet to gait, or naturally do dressage movements(uper level,sidepassing,leg yielding etc.).

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2019083
Posted 8/25/2014 1:57:17 PM
Advanced Member

Last Login: 10/5/2016 2:39:32 PM
guys she's totally right like i would want my horse to be able to rear and then screw up one day and flip over backwards shattering my spine and putting me in a wheelchair for the rest of my life lolz yussss
and like omigawd this sport is so dangerous we should all just quit now because people with gaited horses are torturing them by teaching them unnatural movements i mean they aren't born like that people stop trying to hurt them. also horses aren't meant to turn ok they move in straight lines so barrels? uh uh not natural. they are bad. stop.

and yeah we are in danger just being around horses so let's just make it worse by teaching them new ways to kill us and rewarding them with treats when they don't go sprawling backwards and hurt themselves or us.

idk man i think i'm cool so.

Post #2019087
Posted 8/25/2014 2:19:14 PM

Too lazy to quote, but this is in response to the fray chick

Yes, being around horses is dangerous, and we should fully respect that every time they are approached. The are much bigger and stronger than we are, and should be treated that way.
Yes, we could be killed in a jumping, barrel racing, or even trail riding, BUT as riders, it is our job to do our best to keep everybody involved SAFE. Accidents do happen, it's true, but the risk of an accident caused by our own stupidity can be greatly reduced if we just use our brains and put aside our wants and think about the safety of the horse and others.
Think about this: all goes well in your training, your horse rears on command, la dee da everything is going just swimmingly. So one day, you decide to take your lovely, well trained, "champion" horse out for a ride. Horseyface gets tired of working and just wants a break, so he remembers that if he rears up, ooohhh treat time! Rewards! I'll do that, then i get food, yum! So horse rears, rider falls, horsey might fall onto rider, and what do you have? A crippled rider and an injured horse, or one that now figures rearing is the way to get out of work.
I have been on a rearing horse, and I'm not going to lie, it's scary; there's next to nothing you can do about it, and all that- falling, flipping- goes through your mind, and you can't do much to stop it.
I am 100% sure you are still going to do this and not listen to anything we are saying, but please, if not for you, for your horse's sake, be safe about it and really,really think this through

Post #2019089
Posted 8/25/2014 2:54:57 PM
Advanced Member

Last Login: 11/10/2016 2:39:20 PM
love the fray (8/25/2014)
I AM VERY AWARE OF THE DANGERS OF TEACHING A HORSE TO REAR.Also,what about the dangers of OTHER EVENTS?How about Show Jumping? A horse and rider could be killed instantly. And Barrel Racing. One wrong turn,the horse is down with a broken leg.And pleasure. A horse could spook,a rider could fall,shatter her skull,a horse could break a leg,get a foot trapped in the bridle etcWe also are in danger of even INTERACTING with a horse. One move form a horse and we could be dead. WHY should trick training be any different? And BEFORE you answer "Well,its jsut not right,it goes against the nature of the horse," etc. think about other disciplines. Naturally, a horse wouldnt run barrels, pick up his feet to gait, or naturally do dressage movements(uper level,sidepassing,leg yielding etc.).

Yes, there is risk in everything. However, some things are riskier than others. For example, there is a chance you could break your leg while getting out of bed, but there's a higher chance you could break your leg jumping off a one story building. There's a chance your horse could simply spook, causing it to rear, flip over, and die, but there's a higher chance that it could rear, flip over, and die if you make it rear over and over again. Risk all about probability and outcome. Personally, I value my horse too much to ask it to do something that could kill it so easily.

And just a little arguing 101...it gives you a lot more credibility if what you say is at least true.
I have no clue why you think that rearing is unnatural to the horse. Rearing is a very natural evasion, which is why knowledgeable people who work with horses do their best to avoid it.
Horses do naturally gait...there are a lot more breeds that are naturally gaited (TWHs, Foxtrotters, Pasos, Standardbreds, Icelandics, Rocky Mountain Saddle Horses, etc) than ones that are taught artificial gaits (mostly just Saddlebreds, although some Standardbreds do need help with pacing). Horses also naturally do most lower-level dressage movements.

-Hannah

juliette

Post #2019090
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

««123»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 7:33pm

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation