Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Horse Problems/Training Questions » Jumping Advice ASAP

123»»»

Jumping Advice ASAP Expand / Collapse
Author

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 7/12/2015 7:45:56 AM
ok so im going to a show next month and they have a jumping class.I want to enter but um says lucy has no "formal jump training". She's been jumping for 2-3 years and i trained her..took about 6 months bu yea...I know mum hates her and thats why she isnt letting me do this,but she's also letting me do the barrel race and neither of us has ANY traiing in that. She says its different...its really not. Lucy can clear just about anything but we will have some jump and barrel training too.

Also,whats the best way to teach a horse to rear? Ive read about scaring the horse to rearing but thats just stupid.

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2017331
Posted 8/5/2014 9:10:42 AM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 5/31/2016 6:19:29 PM
never ever ever teach your horse to rear because that's just stupid in general.

Post #2017332
Posted 8/5/2014 9:15:41 AM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

[quote]hullabaloo (8/5/2014)
[/quote]
Sonny's going to be a trick/liberty horse and theres nothing you can do about it.

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2017334
Posted 8/5/2014 9:43:12 AM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

[quote]love the fray (8/5/2014)
[/quote]
Sonny's going to be a trick/liberty horse and theres nothing you can do about it.[/quote]
you can do other tricks that aren't rearing that are a lot safer for you and the horse. and rearing should defiantly not be the first trick you teach..

Post #2017335
Posted 8/5/2014 9:46:10 AM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 11/16/2015 6:10:13 AM
[/quote]
Sonny's going to be a trick/liberty horse and theres nothing you can do about it.[/quote]
you can do other tricks that aren't rearing that are a lot safer for you and the horse. and rearing should defiantly not be the first trick you teach..[/quote]
Fr yo

Lily & Cleo

Personal Blog|Equine Blog

La La La La La La La La La La La

Post #2017336
Posted 8/5/2014 9:53:23 AM

Average Member

[/quote]
you can do other tricks that aren't rearing that are a lot safer for you and the horse. and rearing should defiantly not be the first trick you teach..[/quote]

Its not the first trick im going to teach him.

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2017338
Posted 8/5/2014 9:59:24 AM

Advanced Member

[/quote]

Its not the first trick im going to teach him.[/quote]

teaching horses tricks is not like teaching dogs tricks. it's not like teaching a dog to beg and such. rearing is a very unsafe trick and the only way to teach them is to scare them into rearing as rearing is a horses way of panicking because they are prey animals. you or someone else could easily accidentally trigger that trick and get kicked in the face and they would expect a reward.
also we can't really tell you anything about the jumping and barrel racing as we've never seen you do either. a trainer for both would be best because things can be very dangerous otherwise when you don't know what you're doing and expect to go and show.

Post #2017342
Posted 8/5/2014 9:59:44 AM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 2/24/2017 12:12:54 PM
love the fray (8/5/2014)
hullabaloo (8/5/2014)
love the fray (8/5/2014)
hullabaloo (8/5/2014)
Sonny's going to be a trick/liberty horse and theres nothing you can do about it.
you can do other tricks that aren't rearing that are a lot safer for you and the horse. and rearing should defiantly not be the first trick you teach..

It's still a really stupid thing to teach any horse. If you're goin to do that liberty stuff with him you better have experience teaching horses that and be working with someone who is

..::Emma and Red::..

I don't really miss God but I sure miss Santa Claus

Post #2017343
Posted 8/5/2014 10:05:16 AM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Also why the fck are you entered in a show if you and your horse don't have any training?

Post #2017346
Posted 8/5/2014 10:05:25 AM

Average Member

redluva (8/5/2014)
love the fray (8/5/2014)
hullabaloo (8/5/2014)
love the fray (8/5/2014)

It's still a really stupid thing to teach any horse. If you're goin to do that liberty stuff with him you better have experience teaching horses that and be working with someone who is[/quote]
oh my gosh. i asked for advice teaching him. 1)i know what to do. 2)i dont really care what you guys think about him being a trick or liberty horse and 3)he's going to be taught how to rear,whether you guys like it or not.

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2017347
Posted 8/5/2014 10:06:33 AM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 11/16/2015 6:10:13 AM
love the fray (8/5/2014)
redluva (8/5/2014)
love the fray (8/5/2014)
hullabaloo (8/5/2014)

It's still a really stupid thing to teach any horse. If you're goin to do that liberty stuff with him you better have experience teaching horses that and be working with someone who is[/quote]
oh my gosh. i asked for advice teaching him. 1)i know what to do. 2)i dont really care what you guys think about him being a trick or liberty horse and 3)he's going to be taught how to rear,whether you guys like it or not.[/quote]
Well you gonna die, don't say we didn't warn you

Lily & Cleo

Personal Blog|Equine Blog

La La La La La La La La La La La

Post #2017348
Posted 8/5/2014 10:08:08 AM

Advanced Member

love the fray (8/5/2014)
redluva (8/5/2014)
love the fray (8/5/2014)
hullabaloo (8/5/2014)

oh my gosh. i asked for advice teaching him. 1)i know what to do. 2)i dont really care what you guys think about him being a trick or liberty horse and 3)he's going to be taught how to rear,whether you guys like it or not.[/quote]
just letting you know it's dangerous and you shouldn't do it without a trainer? lol.

Post #2017349
Posted 8/5/2014 10:09:05 AM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 11/22/2016 5:04:23 AM
lol ur hilarious
Rearing isn't like a good thing only trained professionals should be purposely making a horse rear. Most people who teach their horse to rear on command are working on getting their horse to STOP rearing. Work on little tricks like smiling and stuff.

abrakadabra
I am the Lizard King, I can do anything.
Post #2017350
Posted 8/5/2014 10:10:44 AM

Average Member

redluva (8/5/2014)
Also why the fck are you entered in a show if you and your horse don't have any training?

its a freaking fun show,and no,im taking all of my horses and she's been in training for 3 years,and im not entered yet. havent filled out the forms.

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2017351
Posted 8/5/2014 10:11:28 AM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 11/22/2016 5:04:23 AM
love the fray (8/5/2014)
redluva (8/5/2014)
love the fray (8/5/2014)
hullabaloo (8/5/2014)

k you totes "know what to do" aka why you asked in the first place???
have fun terrifying your horse it's not like a good action for them
much love very ownerly

abrakadabra
I am the Lizard King, I can do anything.
Post #2017352
Posted 8/5/2014 10:27:53 AM

love the fray (8/5/2014)
redluva (8/5/2014)
love the fray (8/5/2014)
hullabaloo (8/5/2014)
love the fray (8/5/2014)
hullabaloo (8/5/2014)
It's still a really stupid thing to teach any horse. If you're goin to do that liberty stuff with him you better have experience teaching horses that and be working with someone who is
oh my gosh. i asked for advice teaching him. 1)i know what to do. 2)i dont really care what you guys think about him being a trick or liberty horse and 3)he's going to be taught how to rear,whether you guys like it or not.

Congratulations on contradicting yourself. If you know what to do, don't bother asking for our advice, unless of course you're just trolling, in which case carry on I guess??
Have fun teaching your horse to rear, hope you don't plan on riding it, good luck, if I was religious I'd say god bless your soul but I'm not so

Post #2017357
Posted 8/5/2014 10:29:20 AM

Average Member

my definition of liberty:a way to play with your horse,any horse can join/quit when they want,their not forced to do anything,they have the freedom they lack when being ridden/training. They chose who they follow, their not bound by tack/ropes. They have the liberty to do what they want,not what we want. We chose to follow,to mimic,to play with our horses,to become one of them, to play as one of them. No one is forced,we all chose.

no more said.thats that.good day to all.

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2017358
Posted 8/5/2014 10:31:19 AM

Last Login: 7/14/2015 4:47:08 PM
have fun when you have no helmet on because "oh such bond" and you cue your horse to rear and he flips over backwards on you.
Natural selection I guess.

It's a stupid thing to do and we are warning you. If you want to teach your horse to rear do it but we aren't going to help you when he has a rearing problem

.Show Season 2015.
more fabu than you
Here I am, This Is Me, I came into this world
Wild & Free
tumblr

Post #2017359
Posted 8/5/2014 10:44:53 AM

love the fray (8/5/2014)
my definition of liberty:a way to play with your horse,any horse can join/quit when they want,their not forced to do anything,they have the freedom they lack when being ridden/training. They chose who they follow, their not bound by tack/ropes. They have the liberty to do what they want,not what we want. We chose to follow,to mimic,to play with our horses,to become one of them, to play as one of them. No one is forced,we all chose.no more said.thats that.good day to all.

Horses are half ton animals. They are not dogs. People need to treat them with respect, and realize what damage they can do. They are muh stronger than we are, and they don't always realize this. If you let them "be free" then they learn that they can boss you around and you will end up getting hurt.
Teaching a horse to rear is asking for disaster. You are essentially rewarding bad behaviour. It's no different than rewarding a horse when he kicks or a dog when he bites. It's dangerous behaviour that wouldn't be tolerated if any of the other horses you work with did it (I deeply hope anyway) an should not be taught as a trick if you are just doing it to "play around" with your horse.

Post #2017361
Posted 8/5/2014 2:13:04 PM

Last Login: 11/26/2015 9:55:59 AM
Well, do you have the Young Rider issue for running faster barrels? You could try that. Do you have access to a trainer? Can you talk to your mom about how you feel about why you want to go to that jumping show? But I like you, and please, please, please don't try rearing yet. I don't know what I'd do if you died! Rearing is cool, really cool, but please wait on that. :)

Only those who risk going too far, can possibly find, how far they can go.
Post #2017385
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

123»»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 10:39am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation