Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Horse Problems/Training Questions » Dixie won't move!

Dixie won't move! Expand / Collapse
Author

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 11/26/2015 9:55:59 AM
Hi! So I noticed that today when I rode Dixie, she didn't move. Let me explain. So sometimes she moved around without a problem when I was riding her, and there were periods when she just wouldn't walk on. She didn't trot either, when I asked her. She just walked quickly. There was a period when I kept nudging and pulling and she wouldn't move until Storm started to walk towards us. It's like she won't go unless the other horses come, too. I don't think she's in pain. Is it the other horses? I miss the jumpy, snorting, trotting, rearing, prancing, running-away mare I used to have! Where did she go???

Only those who risk going too far, can possibly find, how far they can go.
Post #2017170
Posted 8/2/2014 3:12:39 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 11/10/2015 5:32:48 PM
She is probably in heat.
Baylee gets like that too and is lazy when in heat. So I take advantage of it and use her laziness to go on a nice slow trail ride :)

Though she be but little, she is fierce

banner by Susan

Post #2017174
Posted 8/2/2014 4:03:23 PM

Last Login: 11/26/2015 9:55:59 AM
Wait… does that mean she's going to have a foal?? Yes, a slow trail ride would be nice. :)

Only those who risk going too far, can possibly find, how far they can go.
Post #2017184
Posted 8/2/2014 4:05:51 PM

Last Login: 11/10/2015 5:32:48 PM
No she shouldn't be pregnant unless she has had access to a stallion (or vice versa) it just means that she is capable of getting pregnant. All mares go into heat at times just some show the signs worse than others.

Though she be but little, she is fierce

banner by Susan

Post #2017185
Posted 8/2/2014 7:01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 7/5/2016 6:22:24 PM
Did she just now starting to do this? Try a crop. It could be that there is other horses around her or could be in heat. Mares go into heat every three week for five days in the summer. That could be why she isn't moving.

Taylor & Shadow

banner by Annie

Post #2017189
Posted 8/3/2014 9:43:59 AM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 7/25/2016 11:35:43 AM
Lol when Jackie goes into heat she moves faster, not slower but yeah, they're all different about it. If its certain times and she's fine the other times I would say shes in heat. Wait a little bit and see and if it doesn't resolve check tack/vet. And if its not any of those, it's time to get your crop out. :)

-Lilyanna-
~Jackie & Medallion~
Banner by Abra
Was mistydixie
Post #2017200
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 11:44am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation