Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Horse Problems/Training Questions » Help with a Greenie

Help with a Greenie Expand / Collapse
Author
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 12/14/2014 7:21:27 PM
I've been working with a 4-year-old QH mare recently, and she doesn't know ANYTHING. She's a very smart, generally good horse, besides some crowhops when she decides she's done working, haha. But I'm currently teaching her the cues to change gaits(walk to trot, trot to lope, etc) I was just wondering if anyone had any tips to make every ride more successful. Oh, and she has the cues down while lunging, just not under saddle. Thanks!

♞Live to Ride, Ride to Live♞
Post #2017030
Posted 7/30/2014 5:40:52 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 6/16/2015 3:10:40 PM
Cues as in you verbally saying "Walk" "Trot" "Canter" "Whoa" ?

-Ashley-

Post #2017033
Posted 7/30/2014 7:34:24 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 7/5/2016 6:22:24 PM
Get a trainer. The horse I ride is a greenie and it takes time for a horse to learn. 

Taylor & Shadow

banner by Annie

Post #2017043
Posted 7/31/2014 5:50:14 AM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 11/22/2016 5:04:23 AM
shadower (7/30/2014)
Get a trainer. The horse I ride is a greenie and it takes time for a horse to learn.
real advice would be coo too

abrakadabra
I am the Lizard King, I can do anything.
Post #2017049
Posted 7/31/2014 6:01:17 AM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 11/10/2015 5:32:48 PM
Does your horse respond to leg pressure and vocal cues?
I would recommend starting with your horse on the lunge line and work on vocal cues for walk, trot/jog, lope/canter, etc. and also teach your horse to move away from pressure. So your horse should know that if you press on his/her shoulder that you asking for him/her to move and he/she should move in the opposite direction of that pressure. By teaching that, you will be teaching your horse to move off your leg

Though she be but little, she is fierce

banner by Susan

Post #2017050
Posted 8/2/2014 8:11:02 PM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 12/14/2014 7:21:27 PM
Yeah, we've been working on vocal cues. I DO have people(knowledgable adults, but not "trainers") helping me, but I'm doing the majority of the training. Today I rode her in the arena instead of the round pen, so I think she just may not like the round pen, because she was a lot more compliant, besides a couple of bucking fits(until she realized that I wasn't going to let her get away with that). Any advice on how to deal with her moments of bad behavior?

♞Live to Ride, Ride to Live♞
Post #2017191
Posted 8/3/2014 6:04:16 PM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 6/16/2015 3:10:40 PM
horsecrazycory (8/2/2014)
Yeah, we've been working on vocal cues. I DO have people(knowledgable adults, but not "trainers") helping me, but I'm doing the majority of the training. Today I rode her in the arena instead of the round pen, so I think she just may not like the round pen, because she was a lot more compliant, besides a couple of bucking fits(until she realized that I wasn't going to let her get away with that). Any advice on how to deal with her moments of bad behavior?

pull her head up and put your leg on.

-Ashley-

Post #2017224
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 11:42am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation