Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Western Riding » Gaming

12»»

Gaming Expand / Collapse
Author

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 11/10/2015 5:32:48 PM
So I would like to get into gaming with Baylee. Not on a super competitive level but just for fun at local shows. I would like to do flag, barrels, and poles. Tell me everything I need to know about these events and tips on how to train for them, improve time, etc. anything is appreciated!

Though she be but little, she is fierce

banner by Susan

Post #2016366
Posted 7/21/2014 10:19:31 PM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 10/15/2014 4:38:29 PM
Barrels- Work on circles and bending. The more flexible the better. Do nice even circles and use your legs to bring your horse in and out to make bigger and smaller circles. Work on the pattern slowly. Once you feel that you have mastered it at the walk/trot move on to a slow lope and increase speed once you feel you have mastered that.
Poles- Once again work on bending, circles, and flexibility. Really emphasize moving off your leg.
Flag- I wouldn't suggest doing flag because it messes up everything you work on with barrels. You have to reach over the neck with one hand and lean into the barrel which are 2 things you shouldn't do. I mean if you just want to do it for fun there is nothing wrong with it. Training will be the same as barrels.

Post #2016434
Posted 7/21/2014 10:37:48 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Thanks! I will work on that. Yeah I'm just doing everything for fun so I'm not too worried about flag messing up the barrels training

banner by Susan

Post #2016450
Posted 7/22/2014 5:30:17 AM

Last Login: 10/29/2016 11:30:06 AM
I'm currently getting Jack familiar with how to be an all around horse and from my experience I definitely would say to start slow. Start your patterns at the walk or trot and then move up once your horse is confident. If you start out going fast you'll quickly learn that your horse really isn't sure what it's doing and your pattern will be very sloppy. It will help a lot it your horse can move off your leg

Thanks Abra!

Shaq and Jack
-Brianna-

Post #2016476
Posted 7/22/2014 6:03:25 AM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 7/12/2015 7:45:56 AM
for barrels and poles,work at the walk/trot. rarely gallop them at home....also the horse has to be conditioned for speed work...
hehe also anyone know where you can find plastic rain barrels?

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2016478
Posted 7/22/2014 11:04:54 AM

Ok thanks you all. I guess I'm on the right track because I've been working on her circles and she moves great of leg. But her circles could use some work. She doesn't bend in. Just kinda circles with her nose out and hips in.

banner by Susan

Post #2016541
Posted 7/22/2014 12:39:40 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 1/7/2017 2:52:56 PM
Flags will not screw up a horse's barrel pattern unless you drill to kill them. I know, because Seven can win both. The main thing is to keep her dependent on you for signals, and not on memory. If you just do barrels every ttime you have her out and nothing else, A) she'll get sloppy and try to cut corners, she thinks she has the pattern down and B) whenever she sees barrels she'll get crazy and try to do them. I have reconditioned several horses from that kind of training, and it's never pretty.

close my eyes and cross my arms,
put me in the dirt, let me dream with the stars

Post #2016562
Posted 7/22/2014 12:47:12 PM

GirlOnFire (7/22/2014)
Flags will not screw up a horse's barrel pattern unless you drill to kill them. I know, because Seven can win both. The main thing is to keep her dependent on you for signals, and not on memory. If you just do barrels every ttime you have her out and nothing else, A) she'll get sloppy and try to cut corners, she thinks she has the pattern down and B) whenever she sees barrels she'll get crazy and try to do them. I have reconditioned several horses from that kind of training, and it's never pretty.

That is like the main thing I DO NOT want to happen. Having her see the barrels and want to run. So she will be fine if I just occasionally work on them?

banner by Susan

Post #2016564
Posted 7/22/2014 12:57:21 PM

Last Login: 6/4/2017 7:21:18 PM
Also you don't have to practice the barrel/flag/poles patterns every single day. I've seen too many horses with ruined hocks and knees from this sigh

..::Emma and Red::..

I don't really miss God but I sure miss Santa Claus

Post #2016568
Posted 7/22/2014 1:01:34 PM

redluva (7/22/2014)
Also you don't have to practice the barrel/flag/poles patterns every single day. I've seen too many horses with ruined hocks and knees from this sigh

Yeah. I hate it when people run their horses on the patten everytime they ride and they end up with either a horse who sees the barrels or poles and goes nuts or a horse with joint problems

banner by Susan

Post #2016570
Posted 7/22/2014 1:14:47 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

bayleepalomino (7/22/2014)
GirlOnFire (7/22/2014)
That is like the main thing I DO NOT want to happen. Having her see the barrels and want to run. So she will be fine if I just occasionally work on them?
Yes, especially if you aren't doing them competitively like I am. I barely ever get to work a pattern, mostly I work on flexing and muscle-building and that comes from chances to just run out on the straight... that's not for everyone but it really works for Seven

Post #2016571
Posted 7/22/2014 1:50:06 PM
Advanced Member

Also, I just watched your barrel video. I realize it's not you riding, but she goes more than a little wide around those barrels. The best way to train that away is to start at a walk, keep her close but not too close (ideally 3-4 ft away), and work on flaws. Go to your horn when you turn, pull up on her mouth, not out (You can pull up a lot further than you can pull out should you need more control) and when her head's pointed at the next barrel/home, come off the horn and pick up your rein to let her go. If you do that, ALWAYS do it when your working on barrels, whether you're walking through them or galloping. I'll try to find you some videos and stuff that are good for barrel training.

Post #2016576
Posted 7/22/2014 2:11:02 PM

Thanks so much! I will definitely start doing that. So why exactly do I want to pull up? To turn her around the barrel I would think I would need to neck rein her

banner by Susan

Post #2016577
Posted 7/22/2014 2:28:12 PM
Advanced Member

Okay paint time haha
The best time to start flexing is the pink, but where you REALLY need it is purple, green is when you should straighten up and focus on the next barrel. These are approximate and vary from horse to horse

ALSO flexing is when you have her head looking at it so she could turn it best, NOT when your turn should start, and turning w/ flex does not work on every horse (It does Rosie, but Seven HATES it) so yeah

Post #2016580
Posted 7/22/2014 2:38:12 PM

Oh ok. Wow! That helps a ton

banner by Susan

Post #2016582
Posted 7/22/2014 2:53:56 PM
Advanced Member

Yup! If you ever have a question PM me c:

Post #2016585
Posted 7/22/2014 3:15:09 PM

Ok will do :) I figure you or Brianna are the people to go to if I have questions

banner by Susan

Post #2016587
Posted 7/23/2014 8:55:23 PM

Average Member

Last Login: 10/15/2014 4:38:29 PM
GirlOnFire (7/22/2014)

I mean it won't totally screw you up but to me flag just goes against all barrel rules. First of all you cross your hand over the neck which is a no no. Second of all you lean in to the barrel teaching your horse to drop it's shoulder which is also a no no. If you aren't doing it competively it's fine. But if you ever do decide to be competitive in barrel racing it's not something I would suggest. Nothing against flag though cuz it does look fun:)

Post #2016714
Posted 7/24/2014 2:58:30 PM

Last Login: 10/29/2016 11:30:06 AM
^you really don't have to reach over their neck in flag, if you grab the flag with the hand closest to the barrel, you're reaching over their shoulder, not the neck.

OP: Dana probably will be more knowledgeable but I'd love to answer any questions you have and help you out with whatever you aren't sure about

Thanks Abra!

Shaq and Jack
-Brianna-

Post #2016746
Posted 7/28/2014 5:23:52 AM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 5/27/2016 7:19:55 PM
I have nothing valuable to add other than gaming looks like sooooooo much fun.

-----------

the night hath been to me a more familiar face than that of man; and in her starry shade of dim and solitary loveliness i learned the language of another world.
I'm happy in summertime beneath the dark blue sky, nae thinkin in the mornin at nicht where i'm gang to lie
bothies or byres or barns, or oot amangst the hay,and if the weather does permit, I'm happy a' the day.

.holding my rebel banner up with pride.
Post #2016879
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 1:42am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation