Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Horse Problems/Training Questions » Lead issue?

Lead issue? Expand / Collapse
Author

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 7/25/2016 11:35:43 AM
Jackie will only give me a nice lope to the left, on the rail. If we go to the right, she just throws a fit. If I try going down the middle, she gallops... Lead problem? She also will only lunge to the right. I'm having a trainer come out to help with some other glitches we are having, but wanted to know what you guys thought. We had her tack checked and its fine, an a vet was also just out.

-Lilyanna-
~Jackie & Medallion~
Banner by Abra
Was mistydixie
Post #2016154
Posted 7/21/2014 7:25:58 AM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 9/11/2016 12:40:40 PM
It also may be a result of poor conformation. With my horse, you can cue him just right and prepare him, but his proportions are so off that it is hard for him to pick up his right lead canter.

If it's not the tack or anything medical/conformational, I suggest working him more in that particular direction. Ask for the lead and then bring him back down, cue him up again, and bring him back down. Praise for the correct lead.

EDIT: It may require a chiropractor(sp?) to come out, maybe something hurts him when be tries to canter.

sara and jetson

Post #2016162
Posted 7/21/2014 10:18:43 AM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 7/25/2016 11:35:43 AM
Thanks. Chiropractor is a good idea.

-Lilyanna-
~Jackie & Medallion~
Banner by Abra
Was mistydixie
Post #2016184
Posted 7/25/2014 9:56:40 AM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 6/16/2015 3:10:40 PM
Try only working her the direction that she has trouble with for a while. If she doesn't start to get better then assume its a pain issue and start checking things (back, tack fit, hocks, stifles, etc.).

-Ashley-

Post #2016773
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 11:43am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation