Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Horse Problems/Training Questions » Trailer Loading & Western....

12»»

Trailer Loading & Western.... Expand / Collapse
Author

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 7/12/2015 7:45:56 AM
ok,so first off,the trailer loading problem.
Lucy will load without a problem WITH a ramp. I think she gets confused about stepping up onto the trailer,and doesnt trust herself,but we do jump,so...ok,back to the point,i tied a lead rope around one fo her front fore and lifted that up and put it on the trailer and she walked right in...i dont want to have to do that,so help?

ok and i want to ride western and English now...i've ridden western for about 6 months and i am in no way a beginner rider in any style. which kind of curb bit do you recommend? and yes,ive trained in a snaffle and think their ready,just dont know which kind of bit to get?
also are these any good?

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2015569
Posted 7/18/2014 3:53:09 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 9/18/2017 7:16:11 AM
I can't help with the trailer issue

Does your horse neck rein and/or respond to you leg REALLY well? If s/he doesn't, you have no business using a curb until you have them trained to neck rein at least.
Headstall: ummm we have used those before at my barn, they seem to hold up alright. My trainer had stopped using it on one of the ponies though, I can't remember why lol. Ill ask my sister, she was the one riding the pony

..::Emma and Red::..

I don't really miss God but I sure miss Santa Claus

Post #2015592
Posted 7/18/2014 4:12:34 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 5/31/2016 6:19:29 PM
getting on a trailer isn't a question, it's a demand and it's something they have to do. get someone to go behind the horse and wave around their arms/a lead rope. when she steps on the trailer, release pressure and stop pulling on her and have the person stop behind you. when she's calm keep doing that until she's fully on. if she tries to back out, let her. just pressure and release until shes on and comfortable.

Post #2015611
Posted 7/18/2014 6:49:20 PM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

^The listen to my leg,i'm teaching neck reining as its going to be a while before i get the bit -.- im broke and i have no way of getting money....

as for the trailer, i belive NOTHING is a demand. I LET the horses question it,then let them CHOSE their answer. If its no,i FIND out why.

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2015748
Posted 7/18/2014 7:19:47 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 11/10/2016 2:39:20 PM
love the fray (7/18/2014)
i belive NOTHING is a demand. I LET the horses question it,then let them CHOSE their answer. If its no,i FIND out why.

Yeah it's great to let the horse think it's their own idea, but forward is not optional. You set them up to succeed but if they don't, work with them until they understand that when you ask, they go forward no matter what. Of course you try to figure out why they don't want to do what you're asking so that you can set them up for success better the next time, but the horse doesn't get to tell you what to do.

-Hannah

juliette

Post #2015750
Posted 7/18/2014 7:28:55 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 10/29/2016 11:30:06 AM
#HereWeGo (7/18/2014)
[quote]love the fray (7/18/2014)
i belive NOTHING is a demand. I LET the horses question it,then let them CHOSE their answer. If its no,i FIND out why.

Yeah it's great to let the horse think it's their own idea, but forward is not optional. You set them up to succeed but if they don't, work with them until they understand that when you ask, they go forward no matter what. Of course you try to figure out why they don't want to do what you're asking so that you can set them up for success better the next time, but the horse doesn't get to tell you what to do.

-Hannah[/quote]

yesss

Thanks Abra!

Shaq and Jack
-Brianna-

Post #2015755
Posted 7/18/2014 8:36:43 PM

Advanced Member

Bri_anna (7/18/2014)
[quote]#HereWeGo (7/18/2014)
[quote]love the fray (7/18/2014)

-Hannah[/quote]

yesss[/quote]

yes this demand is a strong word but you can not let them get away with it because once they figure out that they can get away with not getting on you're going to have so many more problems.

Post #2015764
Posted 7/18/2014 8:41:59 PM

Advanced Member

also loading a trailer is like jumping a jump, going through a gate, going into water, etc. you can let them spook the first time or two but after that they're just taking advantage of you.

Post #2015766
Posted 7/20/2014 5:08:53 PM

Average Member

maybe,but she breaks into a sweat near the trailer,she has flecks of foam on her by the time im done trying to get her int he trailer. I jsut dont know whats wrong...we have a 3 horse stockish trailer,but its black...and shiny -.-

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2016094
Posted 7/20/2014 7:17:20 PM

Last Login: 7/14/2015 4:47:08 PM
Horses that don't load are my biggest pet peeve ever. I have always had horses that load because I act like they are going to do it. If they don't, they get lunged on the lead line and I act like they're going to do it again. Once they get in, I release all pressure and say "good horse"

.Show Season 2015.
more fabu than you
Here I am, This Is Me, I came into this world
Wild & Free
tumblr

Post #2016112
Posted 7/20/2014 8:20:25 PM
Advanced Member

love the fray (7/20/2014)
maybe,but she breaks into a sweat near the trailer,she has flecks of foam on her by the time im done trying to get her int he trailer. I jsut dont know whats wrong...we have a 3 horse stockish trailer,but its black...and shiny -.-

Park the trailer in her pasture near the gate and feed her next to the trailer and even put her feed in the trailer once she's comfortable being around it.

-Hannah

juliette

Post #2016132
Posted 7/21/2014 12:10:41 PM

Average Member

#HereWeGo (7/20/2014)
[quote]love the fray (7/20/2014)

Park the trailer in her pasture near the gate and feed her next to the trailer and even put her feed in the trailer once she's comfortable being around it.

-Hannah[/quote]
yea,im gonna do that today,probably put her in the round pen and her food and water in it....she might not eat for a few days,but she needs to be in in 2 weeks lol

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2016214
Posted 7/21/2014 1:01:25 PM
Advanced Member

love the fray (7/21/2014)
#HereWeGo (7/20/2014)
Park the trailer in her pasture near the gate and feed her next to the trailer and even put her feed in the trailer once she's comfortable being around it.-Hannah
yea,im gonna do that today,probably put her in the round pen and her food and water in it....she might not eat for a few days,but she needs to be in in 2 weeks lol

Start by just putting her food and water beside it so you don't kill your horse

-Hannah

juliette

Post #2016220
Posted 7/21/2014 6:35:08 PM

Average Member

#HereWeGo (7/21/2014)
#HereWeGo (7/20/2014)
Park the trailer in her pasture near the gate and feed her next to the trailer and even put her feed in the trailer once she's comfortable being around it.-Hannah

-Hannah[/quote]
I KNOW!!!!!!!!!! I'M NOT STUPID. i ACTUALLY DONT WWANT YOUR HELP(OR ANYONES) ANYMORE ON THE TRAILERING PROBLEM. now can we just focus on what else the horses should learn before switching to a curb?

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2016294
Posted 7/21/2014 7:10:59 PM

Advanced Member

#HereWeGo (7/21/2014)
[quote]#HereWeGo (7/20/2014)

-Hannah[/quote]
I KNOW!!!!!!!!!! I'M NOT STUPID. i ACTUALLY DONT WWANT YOUR HELP(OR ANYONES) ANYMORE ON THE TRAILERING PROBLEM. now can we just focus on what else the horses should learn before switching to a curb?[/quote]
but you asked for that too? and you did say you were going to put it in the trailer first and that your horse wasn't going to eat for a few days?

Post #2016327
Posted 7/21/2014 7:43:56 PM

lol calm yo shiz
You need to teach your horse to neck rein well before introducing the curb (and responding to your leg). You cannot use two hands with the curb, and you need to use it sparingly.
Maybe try a grazing bit first? (I'm looking for other people's opinions on this too)

Post #2016347
Posted 7/21/2014 9:26:45 PM
Advanced Member

#HereWeGo (7/21/2014)
#HereWeGo (7/20/2014)
Start by just putting her food and water beside it so you don't kill your horse-Hannah
I KNOW!!!!!!!!!! I'M NOT STUPID. i ACTUALLY DONT WWANT YOUR HELP(OR ANYONES) ANYMORE ON THE TRAILERING PROBLEM. now can we just focus on what else the horses should learn before switching to a curb?

Yo calm your tits I was being mostly sarcastic. Just wanted to make sure that you remember that dehydration is a real threat. No need to yell about not needing anyone's help.

If you've only ridden western for six months, no, you're not an experienced western rider.
Make sure your horse neck reins well and can go mostly off your seat and leg. Try something soft at first, like a grazing bit with a snaffle mouth or low port.

-Hannah

juliette

Post #2016376
Posted 7/22/2014 5:59:48 AM

Average Member

#HereWeGo (7/21/2014)
#HereWeGo (7/21/2014)
#HereWeGo (7/20/2014)
Start by just putting her food and water beside it so you don't kill your horse-Hannah

Yo calm your tits I was being mostly sarcastic. Just wanted to make sure that you remember that dehydration is a real threat. No need to yell about not needing anyone's help.

If you've only ridden western for six months, no, you're not an experienced western rider.
Make sure your horse neck reins well and can go mostly off your seat and leg. Try something soft at first, like a grazing bit with a snaffle mouth or low port.

-Hannah[/quote]

ok...what the heck is a grazing bit? iv heard about them but never actually seen one?
also its been like 3 years of western....

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2016477
Posted 7/22/2014 6:37:55 AM

this is a grazing bit with a jointed mouth

Post #2016487
Posted 7/22/2014 1:21:42 PM

Average Member

[quote]redluva (7/22/2014)
this is a grazing bit with a jointed mouth

[/quote]

ok,thanks

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2016573
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 11:45am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation