Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Horse Problems/Training Questions » western to english

western to english Expand / Collapse
Author
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 7/5/2016 6:22:24 PM
I am going to test ride my English saddle on Shadow and I am going to start riding her English for now on. She has been ridden western most of her life. I hear most horses can make the switch but I wanted to hear your advise. Can most horses make the switch?

Taylor & Shadow

banner by Annie

Post #2015040
Posted 7/12/2014 1:57:50 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 6/16/2015 3:10:40 PM
...yes.
I assume she does not neck rein, so it wont be very different to her.

-Ashley-

Post #2015042
Posted 7/12/2014 3:10:47 PM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 5/27/2016 7:19:55 PM
No offense but you only ride her rarely and don't really do much with her so I don't think it'll be severely emotionally damaging to her if you sit on her in an english saddle...

-----------

the night hath been to me a more familiar face than that of man; and in her starry shade of dim and solitary loveliness i learned the language of another world.
I'm happy in summertime beneath the dark blue sky, nae thinkin in the mornin at nicht where i'm gang to lie
bothies or byres or barns, or oot amangst the hay,and if the weather does permit, I'm happy a' the day.

.holding my rebel banner up with pride.
Post #2015050
Posted 7/12/2014 5:53:20 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 9/6/2015 12:17:46 PM
Personally/ I'd just stick to western/ since that is what she knows. Plus, you haven't ridden in a while either, so stick to the basics.
PS. Just another thought, you haven't seen her in like, a year, so don't freak out if she acts like she doesn't recognize you right off the bat. Not something most people want to hear,yes, but not everything is all The Black Stallion themed in the real world of horsendom.

Think of Riding as a Science, but Love it as an Art-George Morris

Post #2015054
Posted 7/12/2014 6:14:01 PM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 5/31/2016 6:19:29 PM
i don't think she'll care at all. usually horses will care if you go english to wester, but not western to english. a western saddle is just a lot heavier then an english one and some horses don't like that *cough minor cough* lol

Post #2015058
Posted 7/12/2014 8:22:57 PM
Advanced Member

Last Login: 11/10/2016 2:39:20 PM
You ride her in a snaffle anyway, right? It's not going to be any different to swap out the western saddle for an English one.

-Hannah

juliette

Post #2015071
Posted 7/12/2014 9:11:44 PM
Advanced Member

Last Login: 7/5/2016 6:22:24 PM
#HereWeGo (7/12/2014)
You ride her in a snaffle anyway, right? It's not going to be any different to swap out the western saddle for an English one.

-Hannah
yeah, I ride her in a snaffle

Taylor & Shadow

banner by Annie

Post #2015073
Posted 8/4/2014 1:50:51 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 9/12/2014 11:26:37 PM
Star was a western horse all her life and only got switched to English when she came to my barn. She wasn't used to a snaffle at ALL but we threw her in a hackamore and she was just fine. Shadow should be good to go if you usually rode in a snaffle anyways. Just expect cantering to feel very lopelike

#MyTwoCents

Kathy | Star

arte non vi: through skill, not force

Personal Tumblr | Indie Tumblr | Youtube

Post #2017271
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 11:43am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation