Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » English Riding » Flying Changes

Flying Changes Expand / Collapse
Author

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 3/8/2016 9:02:37 PM
how should I go about teaching them to Albert? I think he's done them in the past because he'll occasionally do them after a jump, but very rarely. I've never really done flying changes, but I can't have someone else put them on him because there's no one else to ride him sooo yeah. The only advice I've gotten is basically to run them into the corner so they're so off-balanced they have to swap, but that sounds like an accident waiting to happen so I won't be doing that xD

Sam and Albert

12-31-10 . 3-23-12 . Banner by Abra

Personal Photography Writing

Post #2012910
Posted 6/18/2014 7:42:18 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 11/10/2016 2:39:20 PM
He's about 20, right? Are his hocks and stifles sound enough? I'd make sure he's physically capable before you try to teach him.

When you do go to teach him, have a very solid counter canter and leg yielding at the canter first (will probably take a few months if he doesn't already know it). Once you've got that, canter across the diagonal straight toward the rail a couple strides from the corner, when you get a couple strides from the rail, move his hip over and step a little into your outside stirrup. Make sure you're carrying enough pace.
Some do like it a lot more though when you're not messing with them that much and prefer you just go across the diagonal straight to the rail and twoish strides before you hit the rail just open your outside rein and step out hard (again, making sure you have enough pace).

-Hannah

juliette

Post #2012999
Posted 6/18/2014 9:10:33 PM

Advanced Member

Thank you! Yeah, he's 20, and never been lame apart from farrier issues. Would it be safe to say he's sound enough if he jumps anywhere from 2'3 to 3' twice a week with no problem, plus the various flatwork?

Sam and Albert

Post #2013011
Posted 6/19/2014 5:22:27 PM
Advanced Member

AfterAllThisTime (6/18/2014)
Thank you! Yeah, he's 20, and never been lame apart from farrier issues. Would it be safe to say he's sound enough if he jumps anywhere from 2'3 to 3' twice a week with no problem, plus the various flatwork?

Maybe, but if your vet is coming out for something in the next couple months, I'd have them flex him just to make sure since you can't be positive if he's missing changes because he's green to them or if it hurts.

-Hannah

juliette

Post #2013068
Posted 6/19/2014 5:24:59 PM

Advanced Member

#HereWeGo (6/19/2014)
AfterAllThisTime (6/18/2014)
Maybe, but if your vet is coming out for something in the next couple months, I'd have them flex him just to make sure since you can't be positive if he's missing changes because he's green to them or if it hurts.-Hannah
My vet is coming out next month for vaccines, so I'll have her flex him then. Thank you!

Sam and Albert

Post #2013070
Posted 6/19/2014 6:24:27 PM
Advanced Member

Important to note that you don't always need a ton of pace - Henry had to learn by being SUPER collected.

juliette

Post #2013083
Posted 6/20/2014 7:03:37 PM
Advanced Member

#HereWeGo (6/19/2014)
Important to note that you don't always need a ton of pace - Henry had to learn by being SUPER collected.

Sorry I should have specified more like impulsion than pace. :) From what I've seen Albert seems like the type to do a more stereotypical hunter-y lead change rather than a very dressage-y change so that's why I said pace (enough that he's carrying himself and not trying to suck back behind your leg, but not running him to the corner).

-Hannah

juliette

Post #2013208
Posted 8/15/2014 5:40:15 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 9/21/2014 8:04:03 PM
My horse tends to be heavy on the forehand, so to ask for a change i half halt, so hes on his hinds and he can pick up his fronts for a change, if that makes any sense, What they said up there is also great advice, impulsion is great, and open up your inside rein (the lead you want to change to[for a left lead, open your left rein]) and step into the outside. Goodluck, and be safe!

-Banner by StopAndStare
Post #2018069
Posted 8/15/2014 7:25:40 PM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 11/22/2016 5:04:23 AM
fly high young blood

abrakadabra
I am the Lizard King, I can do anything.
Post #2018100
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 7:18am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation