Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » English Riding » Martingale or Draw Reins?

Martingale or Draw Reins? Expand / Collapse
Author

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 7/12/2015 7:45:56 AM
ok,so whenever i wanna bring lucy down to a different gait(like the halt) she throws her head up to avoid bit contact...? One of my friends suggested a standing martingale.
She also has her head very high,in like a unnatural position during our rides? idk,should i use a martingale or draw reins? also,standing or running martingale?

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2011399
Posted 6/4/2014 12:45:11 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 8/11/2015 12:24:34 PM
It depends on your experience as a rider, I would suggest a martingale but idk which kind. It just depends on your riding skill level

Our bond can never be broken, Catherine & J.T. forever <3

Post #2011412
Posted 6/4/2014 2:04:52 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 3/8/2016 9:02:37 PM
Draw reins should only be used if you are either very experienced or you have a very experienced trainer watching you while you ride with them every time. Otherwise, don't use them. They cause more harm than good if they aren't used properly.

I would put a standing martingale on her as a safety net while you work on fixing the problem. Both a martingale or draw reins are really just band-aids on the issue, but a standing martingale will keep you from getting whacked in the face in the meantime.

Sam and Albert

12-31-10 . 3-23-12 . Banner by Abra

Personal Photography Writing

Post #2011419
Posted 6/4/2014 3:36:59 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 11/25/2017 7:35:59 PM
A martingale won't hold her head down; it only prevents her from raising it so high that you lose control. That said, a properly fitted standing martingale is a good safety precaution anyway, but it won't do what you're looking for unless she's throwing her head so high that she's going to hit you in the face.

I would look into pain issues first. When was the last time she had her teeth floated? Does her saddle fit? Both of those are common causes of head tossing.

After that, try to figure out if it's a training issue before slapping draw reins on her. What bit does she go in? If her bit is too severe for her, that could be causing her to throw her head. Also, make sure you're using leg through the transition so she stays packaged together. Does she throw her head when you pick up contact normally? It may just be that she doesn't know how to accept contact.
I don't think you're experienced enough to use draw reins properly (I'm not trying to be rude, they require an experienced rider). Even if you did decide to use them, she'll still toss her head when you take the draw reins off if your goal is only to keep her from tossing her head during transitions. If you're also going to use them to try to force her head down, again, your problem will still be there when you take them off.

I would try to take a couple lessons with an experienced dressage trainer. :) They'll be able to help you better than anyone on the internet can.

-Hannah

juliette

Post #2011427
Posted 6/5/2014 7:41:31 PM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 4/7/2016 7:21:45 PM
Wooow wrong thread

Shelby & Callie

Post #2011591
Posted 6/6/2014 3:03:40 PM

Average Member

Last Login: 7/12/2015 7:45:56 AM
ok thanks guys. I begin lessons next week so i'll see what my trainer thinks

They

Are

Not

You.
Post #2011653
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 7:36am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation