Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » English Riding » Show clothes

Show clothes Expand / Collapse
Author

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 11/10/2015 5:32:48 PM
As some of you may already know, I am hopefully joining my local saddle club. They hold monthly shows and I want to start showing English. I have some questions concerning what I should wear and how I should dress
-Are brown paddock boots and half chaps acceptable? I recently bought paddock boots and I didn't even realize until I had already worn them that I might have a problem because they are brown. I can't return them so would brown work or do I have to go buy tall boots?
-I need tan colored breeches right?
- does it matter what color shirt I wear?
- should I buy a navy or black coat?
- do I really need gloves?
- how should I wear my hair? I normally ride with it in a low ponytail. It is pretty long. I am having trouble finding a way to put it up in my helmet. Could I get away with a braid or something?
Thanks everybody. My first show isn't until April 5th so I have some time to prepare

Though she be but little, she is fierce

banner by Susan

Post #1998496
Posted 2/16/2014 5:14:41 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 6/16/2015 3:10:40 PM
Is this a 4H type club? Depending on where you live what you wear will vary. Where I live (Indiana) the clothes for english in 4H are pretty laid back.

For 4H I would tend to say yes. If you decide you want to go to more shows later on then you should get tall boots. Tan breeches. For shirt and jacket colors its up to you, typically in 4H it doesn't really matter. Imo you should definitely get gloves. For your hair: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vncQIgeEAhQ

If you can, it would be a good idea to go and see what everyone else is wearing before you decide what to buy. It might be fine for you to wear a polo tucked in with a belt to your first show until you decide what you need. Also, it is a good idea to buy nice used things rather than buying something new that is cheap.

-Ashley-

Post #1998512
Posted 2/16/2014 5:20:36 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Thank you so much. It isn't 4-H. Here is a link to the club so you can take a look and see for yourself: http://midriverssaddleclub.com/core/

So I will need a belt? I completely forgot about that
And yes I definitely plan on buying used. I have to pay for my shows all on my own and I am not old enough to have a job so I have to spend as little as possible

banner by Susan

Post #1998514
Posted 2/16/2014 5:35:24 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 11/25/2017 7:35:59 PM
The series to me (from briefly browsing the pictures) looks more western-oriented with not as many nice English type horses/riders, so you can probably get away with a lot.

It looks like all the riders are wearing field boots, so I'd try to borrow some or find some cheap on eBay (there are some really great deals out there). I would avoid wearing the paddock boots and half chaps if at all possible, even if they were black. Brown in general I would normally say don't worry about, but it looks like it's only huntseat there so I would definitely not try wearing brown.

Yes, tan or beige (puke green) breeches.

White is the most traditional for shirts and often the easiest to find, but you'd be okay with any pastel colors.

I'm not up to date with huntseat fashion trends but regardless, navy is a safer choice than black.

You don't really need gloves, but IMO most of the time it looks really sloppy not to wear them. Especially since you're just starting to show English, this is the time when you especially want to look like you know what you're doing.

You can get away with a show bow for this kind of show if you can't get it in your helmet.

-Hannah

juliette

Post #1998518
Posted 2/16/2014 6:13:32 PM

Yeah it is for stock type horses only so most people only do western.
Do you think I could get away with my paddock boots and half chaps for the first couple of shows until I can save up for field boots?
After hearing from you guys, here is a list of the stuff that I will need to start showing English. Please tell me if there is something I am leaving out or isn neccasary
-tall boots
-tan or beige breeches
-white or pastel colored shirt
-navy coat
-black gloves

banner by Susan

Post #1998522
Posted 2/16/2014 6:32:06 PM
Advanced Member

Is it run under AQHA rules? I'm 90% sure showing in half chaps is illegal (going to go check now)

-Hannah

juliette

Post #1998525
Posted 2/16/2014 6:34:03 PM

No I'm not sure what rules it's run under. Their rules just says proper show attire is necessary.

banner by Susan

Post #1998526
Posted 2/16/2014 6:48:14 PM
Advanced Member

MRSC:
"SECTION 6 - EXHIBITORS

Exhibitors must conform to rules of conduct and dress to ensure show standards are met.
Riding helmets are strongly encouraged for all riders.

Exhibitors may be subject to disqualification for infringing on the following rules:
1. Failure by exhibitor to wear correct number(s) in a visible manner
2. In all classes it is mandatory to wear appropriate attire, including shirt with collar, helmet/hat and boots. The helmet/hat must be on the riders head when the
exhibitor enters the arena. Spurs of the rowelled type are not allowed in English
classes but are optional for all other riding classes.
3. In any class the judge shall have the authority to disqualify or remove any exhibitor
with illegal equipment per applicable breed association rules"

This is really ambiguous but there could be a strong argument for half chaps. Call or email the management and ask just to make sure. AQHA is slightly ambiguous but you could be reasonably DQ'd for half chaps (see SHW320.3); I would assume ApHC is similar.

-Hannah

juliette

Post #1998531
Posted 2/16/2014 6:52:59 PM

Thanks so much! I guess I will just wait until I get tall boots. I have so much stuff to buy on such a little budget, that it might be a while until I can get some. Now, if I buy used ones, would I have to break them in?

banner by Susan

Post #1998534
Posted 2/17/2014 6:10:50 AM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 5/27/2016 7:19:55 PM
iCspots (2/16/2014)
Thanks so much! I guess I will just wait until I get tall boots. I have so much stuff to buy on such a little budget, that it might be a while until I can get some. Now, if I buy used ones, would I have to break them in?
nope. Honestly if you have a local craigslist, post an add in the farm and garden section listing your sizes and asking if anyone has anything htey're getting rid of they'd be willing to sell you. People do that by me all the time. Except don't ever, EVER buy a used helmet.

-----------

the night hath been to me a more familiar face than that of man; and in her starry shade of dim and solitary loveliness i learned the language of another world.
I'm happy in summertime beneath the dark blue sky, nae thinkin in the mornin at nicht where i'm gang to lie
bothies or byres or barns, or oot amangst the hay,and if the weather does permit, I'm happy a' the day.

.holding my rebel banner up with pride.
Post #1998561
Posted 2/17/2014 6:46:05 AM

mephistopheles (2/17/2014)
iCspots (2/16/2014)
nope. Honestly if you have a local craigslist, post an add in the farm and garden section listing your sizes and asking if anyone has anything htey're getting rid of they'd be willing to sell you. People do that by me all the time. Except don't ever, EVER buy a used helmet.

Yeah we have a craigslist. My dad is practically addicted to it haha. He buys stuff on there all the time so he should be able to post an ad for me. Don't worry, I won't ever buy a used helmet :)

banner by Susan

Post #1998563
Posted 2/17/2014 9:49:16 AM
Advanced Member

Try going out to watch a show and see what everyone is wearing, or just calling up one of the leaders and getting their opinion.

Here's the thing - even if you can technically get away with clothes that aren't necessarily proper, looking formal will get you noticed by the judge.

-s

juliette

Post #1998577
Posted 2/17/2014 10:29:50 AM

Ok. The first show is this Saturday but it is a non point show and kinda just a way to get the horses prepared and everything so I will see what everybody else is wearing. I think I will just wait and start doing English classes until I have everything I need for sure. Thanks for all your help guys

banner by Susan

Post #1998585
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 7:32am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation