Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Horse Breeds » Miniature Horses

Miniature Horses Expand / Collapse
Author

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 1/16/2015 9:52:24 AM
Hi everyone! I might be getting a Miniature Horse soon(YAY!), but I've never had one before. What should I know before I get one?
THANKS!
LittlePaintEventer

Please visit my website, http://kyhorse.us , and my face book page, https://www.facebook.com/BobbieJonesEventing
Always wear a helmet when you ride or drive!
Be Smart, and Strap One On!
http://www.riders4helmests.com
Post #1989399
Posted 12/18/2013 5:26:32 AM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 11/10/2015 5:32:48 PM
That is so cool that you get to have a mini! I dont know a lot about them so i can give you some links to check out. You might already know some of this stuff.

http://www.ballerhouse.com/2008/02/19/everything-you-need-to-know-to-buy-a-mini-horse/

http://www.petplace.com/horses/owning-a-miniature-horse/page1.aspx

P.S. the date (march 2nd 2013) in your banner is my birthday :)

Though she be but little, she is fierce

banner by Susan

Post #1989401
Posted 12/19/2013 8:39:23 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 11/26/2015 9:55:59 AM
My sister just got a pony named Oreo and I'm helping her with him. They are very fun and cute and have different personalities, but keep in mind the classic pony attitude. You can never have a pony's full respect, but I want you to have a lot of fun with your mini! They are very fun!

- horselover11

Only those who risk going too far, can possibly find, how far they can go.
Post #1989701
Posted 12/20/2013 9:21:03 AM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 5/17/2016 12:27:12 PM
They are fluffy little creatures :) My mini starts growing her winter coat right as the weather changes in fall and didn't completely lose it until June. It's two times the length of my big horses. My advice, have a winter blanket to cut down on winter fur or have clippers ready if you'd like to show in the spring. They are adorable and fun and I love mine to death.

Oh, they are tiny as you already know, so check your fences for holes or places they can get out...they are mischievous little things as well!

Buddy l Marie l Rosie l Apollo

photo BuddysigMichaela.jpg

Banner by Michaela

Post #1989749
Posted 12/20/2013 11:46:57 AM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 7/5/2016 6:22:24 PM
Some fencing won't work for miniatures 'cause they can get out.  

Taylor & Shadow

banner by Annie

Post #1989767
Posted 12/23/2013 1:27:57 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 5/27/2016 7:19:55 PM
Treat it exactly like you would a big horse. Letting them get away with stuff because they're cute and fuzzy gets old really fast :|

-----------

the night hath been to me a more familiar face than that of man; and in her starry shade of dim and solitary loveliness i learned the language of another world.
I'm happy in summertime beneath the dark blue sky, nae thinkin in the mornin at nicht where i'm gang to lie
bothies or byres or barns, or oot amangst the hay,and if the weather does permit, I'm happy a' the day.

.holding my rebel banner up with pride.
Post #1990332
Posted 12/23/2013 2:01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Last Login: 9/11/2016 12:40:40 PM
I think one of the paramount things to worry about with them is to have proper fencing and not to overfeed them. Since they are smaller, many people tend to overfeed them so make sure you have them on a proper diet.
Also treat them like a big horse. They can get really pushy if you don't ask for respect.

sara and jetson

Post #1990339
Posted 12/23/2013 4:40:36 PM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 5/27/2016 7:19:55 PM
BackToBedlam (12/23/2013)
I think one of the paramount things to worry about with them is to have proper fencing and not to overfeed them. Since they are smaller, many people tend to overfeed them so make sure you have them on a proper diet.Also treat them like a big horse. They can get really pushy if you don't ask for respect.
we have your typical bog standard 4 board fence and they only time they've ever gotten out is running out teh gate when the latch malfunctioned due to a huge snow overlaod on it xD

-----------

the night hath been to me a more familiar face than that of man; and in her starry shade of dim and solitary loveliness i learned the language of another world.
I'm happy in summertime beneath the dark blue sky, nae thinkin in the mornin at nicht where i'm gang to lie
bothies or byres or barns, or oot amangst the hay,and if the weather does permit, I'm happy a' the day.

.holding my rebel banner up with pride.
Post #1990379
Posted 12/23/2013 5:18:04 PM
Advanced Member

Last Login: 9/11/2016 12:40:40 PM
mephistopheles (12/23/2013)
BackToBedlam (12/23/2013)
I think one of the paramount things to worry about with them is to have proper fencing and not to overfeed them. Since they are smaller, many people tend to overfeed them so make sure you have them on a proper diet.Also treat them like a big horse. They can get really pushy if you don't ask for respect.
we have your typical bog standard 4 board fence and they only time they've ever gotten out is running out teh gate when the latch malfunctioned due to a huge snow overlaod on it xD

Idk man, they can act like goats sometimes. I've seen them slip under a four-board pretty easily x]

sara and jetson

Post #1990391
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 7:31am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation