Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Horse Problems/Training Questions » Jumping???

Jumping??? Expand / Collapse
Author

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 7/14/2015 11:05:51 AM
I been just play jumping with my horse. He is able to jump 2 feet which is surprising for my family. My questions are is he too old to jump? he is 13. How do you keep pace like stride length? and how do you know what lead to be on?

Thanks, Hallie Horsman

Hallie Horsman

Post #1986706
Posted 11/29/2013 9:34:31 AM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 5/17/2016 12:27:12 PM
He's definetely not too old to jump! My horse is currently 13 and I've jumped him up to 3', honestly he's in his "prime" for competing and riding. Jumping and learning strides and all of that takes experience. I would recommend a trainer to teach you stuff like that.

Leads: You want your horse on the "inside lead." Your horse's inside leg should be leading, if your turning left, your horses left leg should be leading; going right, his right leg should lead. If your horse is opposite, say your going right and he's leading with his left leg, it will feel very uncomforatable and will be hard for your horse to turn effectively. You'll feel how awkward it is and just pull him back to a trot and switch to the correct lead. Eventually with experience you'll be able to do a flying lead change, not breaking gaits to switch leads.

Buddy l Marie l Rosie l Apollo

photo BuddysigMichaela.jpg

Banner by Michaela

Post #1986714
Posted 11/29/2013 9:57:33 AM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 3/8/2016 9:02:37 PM
Have your vet check your horse to see if he's okay to be jumped of you're going to be jumping fairly regularly and/or decent heights. He should be just fine though! My horse is almost 20 and he was jumping last year (currently retraining so that's why he's not jumping now).

Leads are just like Marie said. Usually you can feel when a horse is on the wrong lead, but some horses are hard to tell on. You can normally see their shoulder leading - not too many horses are difficult to see the lead on.

To keep your pace even and consistent, count out loud to yourself. "one and two and three and four and one and two and three and four..." Pick up the canter and get a good pace going, and then say the numbers each time the leading leg lands and keep the pace consistent with your chanting.

Sam and Albert

12-31-10 . 3-23-12 . Banner by Abra

Personal Photography Writing

Post #1986716
Posted 11/29/2013 10:33:08 AM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Thank you for the information. I don't think I will be able to ask any trainers because they do gaited and western training, so I wil have to train by myself.

Hallie Horsman

Post #1986718
Posted 11/29/2013 10:43:01 AM

One more is my horse allowed to wear boots in show jumping?

Hallie Horsman

Post #1986719
Posted 11/29/2013 11:14:25 AM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 5/17/2016 12:27:12 PM
In stadium jumping and jumper classes, yes. If you enter in hunter classes, no boots are allowed.

Buddy l Marie l Rosie l Apollo

photo BuddysigMichaela.jpg

Banner by Michaela

Post #1986720
Posted 11/29/2013 3:23:14 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 7/14/2015 4:47:08 PM
My pony is 24 and she's still jumping.
(just putting that out there)

.Show Season 2015.
more fabu than you
Here I am, This Is Me, I came into this world
Wild & Free
tumblr

Post #1986737
Posted 12/1/2013 3:26:32 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 2/20/2015 7:58:02 PM
Yes, I knew a pony who was 28 and still doing cross rails(granted it was once or twice a month). My ponies are both turning 14 this year and one can jump 3'6"(Valentino 14.0 1/4hh) and we aren't sure with cece(14.2) but she can at least do 3' regularly. Cece could be doing 3'6"/3'9" if it wasn't for old injuries and she has been doing this hight consistently since like 5.

As for boots, if you do use boots they need to be well fitted to prevent injury. If the boot slips to far it can restrict movement. If the boot falls to its ankle then the horse can break it's leg. Also if the boot is put on improperly it can restrict blood flow.
Here are some I see a lot around my barn:
For the Jumper Ring: Here
Hunter Schooling: Here
EDIT: Also some horse HATE jumping in boots, I have heard stories of ponies that jump 3'9" consistently clean crash or pull rails more with boots on. Also I personally don't use hind boots unless necessary.

Banner By Abra

|~|•Reilly•|~|•Sonador•|~|•The Crowne Prince•|~|•Hip-Hop•|~|

Post #1986880
Posted 12/3/2013 1:21:11 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 11/26/2015 9:55:59 AM
Your horse is definitely not too old to jump! You will feel the correct lead when your horse's movement isn't crooked and awkward. Good luck!

_ horselover11

Only those who risk going too far, can possibly find, how far they can go.
Post #1987269
Posted 11/23/2014 12:48:28 PM

Thank you for the help. Competed in my first hunter hack(only one sadly/mid june) and cross rails at youth charity horse show earlier october. Got 5th out of about 20. Thank you for the people who also helped me there.

Hallie Horsman

Post #2030873
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 5:04pm

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation