Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » English Riding » HALP

HALP Expand / Collapse
Author

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 9/12/2014 11:26:37 PM
Okay so I don't have any pictures, but I think it's rather a confidence/procedure thing that could be answered in words.

Willy is a passive/aggressive warmblood with a huuugeee stride! His canter is SUPER BIG and fast, and since he's stubborn its hard to bring him back down to a trot. So, since I'm still not used to the explosive nature of his canter, I feel very nervous and out-of-control while cantering him, and bringing him back down I begin to panic; sometimes even throwing myself forward. Obviously that's not good; I already fell off because of it xD but does anyone have any advice on how to stay balanced during a powerful, fast canter and the downward transition? I'm going to also look into a lunge line lesson.

Kathy | Star

arte non vi: through skill, not force

Personal Tumblr | Indie Tumblr | Youtube

Post #1977901
Posted 10/4/2013 4:41:31 AM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 2/6/2017 8:27:03 PM
I've never been a huge fan of lunge line lessons, just because I think it's actually harder to balance when you're on a tight circle. I had a similar problem cantering, I was nervous and leaned forward, which naturally made the ponies go faster. While it IS about being nervous, it's also about strength. If you don't have enough core strength to hold yourself up and back, you're not going to be able to feel confident. So when I ride I have to think really hard about making my muscles to the right thing, and I've been doing some planks and stuff outside of riding, which has helped a lot

Post #1977906
Posted 10/4/2013 5:33:00 AM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 7/25/2016 11:35:43 AM
Lunge line lessons help a LOT!

-Lilyanna-
~Jackie & Medallion~
Banner by Abra
Was mistydixie
Post #1977915
Posted 10/5/2013 5:09:32 AM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 12/3/2013 5:46:51 PM
xTinyDancerx (10/4/2013)
I've never been a huge fan of lunge line lessons, just because I think it's actually harder to balance when you're on a tight circle. I had a similar problem cantering, I was nervous and leaned forward, which naturally made the ponies go faster. While it IS about being nervous, it's also about strength. If you don't have enough core strength to hold yourself up and back, you're not going to be able to feel confident. So when I ride I have to think really hard about making my muscles to the right thing, and I've been doing some planks and stuff outside of riding, which has helped a lot

Your core strength has a lot to do with it and I know because I have the same problem
and if your horse has a fast canter and you want to slow him down I usually just dig
my heels in and give a few half halts.
Hope this helps.

[/img]
Post #1978075
Posted 10/5/2013 7:09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 11/25/2017 7:35:59 PM
I'll bet you $10 if you just let go of his face and focus on riding the rhythm of the canter instead of AHHH I'M GOING TO FALL, he'll slow down.

-Hannah

juliette

Post #1978090
Posted 2/28/2014 7:25:37 AM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 3/27/2014 6:56:45 AM

Hello . I have always loved Warmblood horses and the way they move is amazing . It can take some time to get used to if your not ready for such a huge gaited horse. Here are a few things you could try if you haven’t already .

Before getting on him take him out for a bit on the lunge line .See what type of mood has in or how he’s feeling towards the different gaits you want him to do. Make him work for a while before getting on him .This way he will know what’s coming and will be already focused on what he is being asked to do.

You could also have a more experienced rider get on him . Have them try settling him down and try to collect his gait more and possibly make smaller . A more experienced rider could give you great advice after riding and knowing how he moves . This could help you understand how to keep your seat and see what he’s doing from another perspective .

Maintaining a good seat may also help. I have had experience doing stair exercises that really help strengthen your thighs and legs . This will help you to be able to give him legs cues and keep your seat . Exercise ball works great as well helps develop your core strength and you’ll be less likely to flop forward .

There are so many different things you can try . Another option would be just before you feel like he’s getting too fast or your getting nervous slow him back down. Go into a gait or pace you feel comfortable with . This way he is not focused on going fast or you getting thrown forward . You are in charge . You and your horse need to be on the same page so you both can enjoy each other.

Remember, you are riding a big breed of horse and he’s used to being big gaited .

It’s your job to collect him and show him your not riding me I’m riding you and really use your seat more then anything to make that clear .

Here are some videos that I hope are helpful .

The lady in these videos is amazing at what she does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgm6cRZxi90

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6WDvyVqWp8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2h-LArROZM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2h-LArROZM

If this is helpful, please let me know using this forum. I hope you become more comfortable with your horse so you can enjoy him more.

All the best,

Shawney

Post #1999495
Posted 3/1/2014 7:46:46 AM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 5/27/2016 7:19:55 PM
^ the girl who posted this thread hasn't been on since before christmas lulz.

-----------

the night hath been to me a more familiar face than that of man; and in her starry shade of dim and solitary loveliness i learned the language of another world.
I'm happy in summertime beneath the dark blue sky, nae thinkin in the mornin at nicht where i'm gang to lie
bothies or byres or barns, or oot amangst the hay,and if the weather does permit, I'm happy a' the day.

.holding my rebel banner up with pride.
Post #1999553
Posted 5/29/2014 12:52:42 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 9/12/2014 11:26:37 PM
mephistopheles (3/1/2014)
^ the girl who posted this thread hasn't been on since before christmas lulz.

Kathy | Star

arte non vi: through skill, not force

Personal Tumblr | Indie Tumblr | Youtube

Post #2010769
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 7:36am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation