Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Horse Breeds » Mustangs

Mustangs Expand / Collapse
Author

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 11/10/2015 5:32:48 PM
Does anybody ride a mustang? Was it wild or was it already trained when you got it? Has anyone trained a mustang before? What about the mustang makeover youth and yearling challenge? I really want to enter the youth and yearling challenge next year but i have quite a few questions. Could i still do it even though i would have to board my mustang? How would i transport the mustang to the final competition? I have a friend who said i could use her trailer but it isnt a stock trailer. Could i rent a trailer or hire transportation? Any tips on training a mustang? I know i would have to work with it everyday but would it be ok to miss one day a week? Like on the weekend? Thanks for any help.

Though she be but little, she is fierce

banner by Susan

Post #1976981
Posted 10/1/2013 8:36:10 AM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 12/29/2015 7:03:28 PM
Have you ever trained a domesticated horse before? If you haven't, then don't even think about trying it with a mustang. They're great horses once they're trained, but they have a lot different on a mindset in the beginning than a domesticated horse does, and they require someone very experienced.

You've had enough, but just don't give up. Stick to your guns, you are worth fighting for. You know we've all got battle scars, keep marching on.

Post #1977189
Posted 10/1/2013 11:09:57 AM

I have never trained a horse of my own but i have trained other people's horses and i have watched a couple people from my old barn work with their mustangs. The youth mustang makeover allows me to get help from a parent, friend, riding instructor, etc. so my barn's trainer agreed to help me if i needed it. I completely understand your doubts and i have been studying horse behavior and training for a couple of years. I feel like i am ready. For the youth edition all i have to do is halter break them and desensitizing and such. No riding because they are just yearlings. And supposedly, the yearling mustangs are usually calmer than the adult ones. Thank you though. :)

banner by Susan

Post #1977220
Posted 11/12/2013 12:25:38 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 2/2/2016 8:44:11 AM
Oh my word that's what I want to do!!

Post #1984285
Posted 11/12/2013 3:47:50 PM

It is my new goal. Since i dont have a horse i could buy the mustang i trained.

banner by Susan

Post #1984367
Posted 11/13/2013 6:52:32 AM

Last Login: 9/6/2015 12:17:46 PM
Training a mustang is one of my latest goals. I need more experience yet training other horses first, but its on my bucket list!

Think of Riding as a Science, but Love it as an Art-George Morris

Post #1984470
Posted 11/16/2013 9:30:12 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 11/25/2017 7:35:59 PM
Can we please recognize that there are experienced horsemen who have been around horses their whole lives who would struggle with this?
A 12 year old kid who's read about horse behavior for a couple years is extremely likely to get hurt. Not a good idea.

-Hannah

juliette

Post #1985109
Posted 11/17/2013 4:22:11 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 2/20/2015 7:58:02 PM
#HereWeGo (11/16/2013)
Can we please recognize that there are experienced horsemen who have been around horses their whole lives who would struggle with this? A 12 year old kid who's read about horse behavior for a couple years is extremely likely to get hurt. Not a good idea. -Hannah

This.

Banner By Abra

|~|•Reilly•|~|•Sonador•|~|•The Crowne Prince•|~|•Hip-Hop•|~|

Post #1985135
Posted 11/17/2013 7:03:23 AM

That is a rude thing to say. I am pretty sure that none of us who said we want to it do are 12. And i said it is a goal. I do not mean it as "im going to go out a train a mustang" i want to get more experience and do it when i am older. I did not like what you said about me and the others and now you just made me want to prove you wrong.

banner by Susan

Post #1985153
Posted 11/17/2013 4:53:11 PM

Last Login: 9/6/2015 12:17:46 PM
Everyone's level of experience is different. And its okay to have goals. I sure do.
That was my two cents....

Think of Riding as a Science, but Love it as an Art-George Morris

Post #1985268
Posted 11/17/2013 6:42:24 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 11/25/2017 7:35:59 PM
appys4ever (11/17/2013)
That is a rude thing to say. I am pretty sure that none of us who said we want to it do are 12. And i said it is a goal. I do not mean it as "im going to go out a train a mustang" i want to get more experience and do it when i am older. I did not like what you said about me and the others and now you just made me want to prove you wrong.

Actually no, that was a realistic thing to say.
You said you want to do it next year.
I never said anything about anyone else...?
Believe it or not I don't get a kick out of being rude to people for no reason. I'm genuinely concerned for your safety.

-Hannah

juliette

Post #1985295
Posted 11/17/2013 7:49:56 PM

#HereWeGo (11/17/2013)
[quote]appys4ever (11/17/2013)

Actually no, that was a realistic thing to say.
You said you want to do it next year.
I never said anything about anyone else...?
Believe it or not I don't get a kick out of being rude to people for no reason. I'm genuinely concerned for your safety.

-Hannah[/quote]

This is an older thread and since i have started it, i have decided to wait a few years. And i thought since you never specifically said who you were talking to, that it was meant towards me and dressage4fun because we both said it is one of our goals. Thank you for being concerned but you dont even know me so you have nothing to worry about. And i did not like what you said about me being a 12 year old who has only read books. I apologize and i hope you will too.

banner by Susan

Post #1985308
Posted 11/18/2013 2:04:45 PM

Last Login: 6/6/2016 4:27:07 PM
That is an awesome goal, that would be soooo fun to do :D

Post #1985367
Posted 11/21/2013 7:23:58 AM

Last Login: 11/26/2015 9:55:59 AM
I have the same dream that you do! I have never really done any serious training with horses, but I have done some training. To be an expert trainer, you have to have patience, experience, and you have to take everything slow and in stride. ( A bit of wisdom I've learned from past experience.) See you later!

_ horselover11

Only those who risk going too far, can possibly find, how far they can go.

Post #1985673
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 7:38am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation