Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Horse Breeds » Breeds

12»»

Breeds Expand / Collapse
Author

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 1/7/2016 1:14:29 PM
So what are your favorite breeds or least favorite? Do you think a certain breed is best in a certain ring and that a certain breed will almost always win or that it just depends on the horse?

I'll post mine later lol.

"No more counting dollars we'll be counting stars"

Chloe-Pippi Longstocking-Deja Vou

Post #1967721
Posted 8/9/2013 10:43:52 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 1/7/2017 2:52:56 PM
Posting my favorites in a few catagories
Favorite for looks- Gypsy Vanners
Favorite for versatility- QH
Favorite for anythingelseness- Mostly TB right now

close my eyes and cross my arms,
put me in the dirt, let me dream with the stars

Post #1967725
Posted 8/10/2013 5:48:04 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 2/20/2015 7:58:02 PM
For lower level jumper stuff(3'6" and down) I would say Quarter horses, but I am biased as h*ll. For hunters I prefer warmbloods and same for upper level jumpers. I dislike draft crosses for jumping and Thoroughbreds are eh.

Banner By Abra

|~|•Reilly•|~|•Sonador•|~|•The Crowne Prince•|~|•Hip-Hop•|~|

Post #1967732
Posted 8/10/2013 6:44:14 AM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 7/5/2016 6:22:24 PM
My favorite breed is an Arabian of course. I don't really have a least favorite. But, I think it all depends on what the horse is doing. Such as hunters. Pretty much any horse can do that. If it's Arabian halter, a Arabian would be best for that.

Taylor & Shadow

banner by Annie

Post #1967738
Posted 8/10/2013 1:07:43 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 7/14/2015 4:47:08 PM
Favorite Breed(s): Any pony <3
Least Favorite Breed: Arabians
Versatility: QH, QP
Western: Stock breeds duh
English: Sport horse breeds derp

Okay so about the Arab thing, I have met and rode a few and they just aren't for me. I had to walk one and oh my god that Arab was all over me and wasn't listening at all. I have only met one Arab that was fine, but he was old (like 30). I never plan to get an Arab or a cross of one.

.Show Season 2015.
more fabu than you
Here I am, This Is Me, I came into this world
Wild & Free
tumblr

Post #1967775
Posted 8/10/2013 2:54:03 PM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 11/25/2017 7:23:50 PM
Favorite for Hunters would be Holsteiner but anything Warmblood, not just saying that because Henry lulz or some lighter draft crosses that come out warmbloody. Jumpers and Eventing would be Thoroughbreds, anything western or pleasure stuff a QH with a lot of chrome or a paint. Saddleseat I adore Saddlebreds and idek what else there is.. favorite draft is Percheron and favorite all around has got to be any type of Warmblood.

Least favorite are definitely the breeds that really aren't used for anything but looks anymore, like Gypsies and newer type Arabians, halter bred QHs. I also don't like Friesians that much.

edit: oh and I like ISHs for eventing tooooo

abrakadabra
I am the Lizard King, I can do anything.
Post #1967789
Posted 8/10/2013 3:11:06 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 9/12/2014 11:26:37 PM
Draft crosses for everything, hands down.

Kathy | Star

arte non vi: through skill, not force

Personal Tumblr | Indie Tumblr | Youtube

Post #1967795
Posted 8/10/2013 5:01:30 PM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

I think QH (I prefer QH crosses lol) can be be used in jumpers (like children's jumpers and below unless its a super nice cross) and should be in the hunter ring; because it really depends on the horses. I like warmbloods but they are everywhere these days lol.

I think TBs can do the high level jumpers and if the horse is right, can win in the hunters.

It really depends on the horse though. I know a few TBs that look a lot like warmbloods lol. Personally I think TBs can do everything xD

Post #1967804
Posted 8/11/2013 5:05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Last Login: 9/11/2016 12:40:40 PM
I absolutly despise Arabians. No matfer what, they'll never be attractive/worth my time.
I think paints and QH's are often shunned from hunters by the judges, from what I've experienced. It's not just warmbloods/ TB's that can jump.

I think judges that I've gone through see warmbloods as the higher placers, unfortunatly. I wish they wouldn't be so breed biased.

sara and jetson

Post #1967825
Posted 8/18/2013 4:23:53 PM
Advanced Member

Last Login: 11/25/2017 7:35:59 PM
BackToBedlam (8/11/2013)
I think paints and QH's are often shunned from hunters by the judges, from what I've experienced. It's not just warmbloods/ TB's that can jump. I think judges that I've gone through see warmbloods as the higher placers, unfortunatly. I wish they wouldn't be so breed biased.

I'm sorry but this is one of my biggest pet peeves.
Stock type horses generally do not place well in good competition because they are almost never bred to be USEF hunters and therefore often do not go like the ideal USEF hunter. It's a given that when judging hunters, you want the horse that best represents the ideal hunter. That said, there are QHs who can and do win on both the QH circuit and the A circuit. But the reason a Paint might not place well at a hunter show is a) stock breeds typically have shorter strides, b) stock breeds are typically not bred to move like a USEF hunter; the ideal HUS horse moves differently than the ideal hunter, and c) stock breeds are generally not bred to jump whereas pony and warmblood breeders value the quality of the jump very highly and thus breed for that.

If you think that TBs as a whole are considered by most people as high-quality horses in the hunter world, you need to get out more.

There is a "classic hunter look" and because we are judging hunters, we want the horse to look like a hunter. Just like when you are judging a QH or Arab or driving or reining horse, the nicest horse (and the nicest horse wins) is the horse that best represents the breed or discipline ideal. A horse that looks like a hunter will walk into the ring with a higher score than a horse that does not. For example, Garfield might walk in with a 95 and go from there depending on his trip. If I walk into the ring on a backyard-bred Saddlebred/QH cross, I might well start out with a 65 and go from there. Therefore Garfield can make a considerable amount of mistakes before I could beat him with as perfect of a trip as my horse can put down because he overall is the nicer hunter.
That, however, does not mean that the judge looks at Garfield and thinks "Oh, he's a warmblood. I'm not even going to bother watching him go because I'm going to automatically pin him first simply because he's a warmblood." It shows so much ignorance when you try to dumb it all down to "The judge hates my horse and the only reason is that he is x breed or x color."

And honestly, at the schooling show to C show level (maybe even B shows from what I've heard), where there are a lot of people making a lot of mistakes, you can do well with a horse that's not very nice. Hell, I've won a pretty good number of classes on my backyard-shit-bred Paint/Tennessee Walking Horse/god-knows-what-else cross pony against warmbloods (albeit green ones ;]) on the C circuit. That is NOT because he is a poorly put together paint pony that moves like a sewing machine; it's because he is extremely consistent, has a canter like a metronome, doesn't jump dangerously, and has a good lead change. I had much more success on him than on my Dutch Warmblood. When I did do well on her, it was NOT because she's a warmblood, it was because she jumped well, could walk the lines, and got her changes.

-Hannah

juliette

Post #1969064
Posted 8/18/2013 4:37:45 PM

Advanced Member

thattttt ^^^^
It's not bias, most stock horses aren't what's considered an ideal hunter, that's not what they're bred for. I mean look at the AQHA hunter rounds lulz.

abrakadabra
Post #1969070
Posted 8/19/2013 5:42:26 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 2/20/2015 7:58:02 PM
UrsaMinor (8/18/2013)
BackToBedlam (8/11/2013)
I think paints and QH's are often shunned from hunters by the judges, from what I've experienced. It's not just warmbloods/ TB's that can jump. I think judges that I've gone through see warmbloods as the higher placers, unfortunatly. I wish they wouldn't be so breed biased.
I'm sorry but this is one of my biggest pet peeves. Stock type horses generally do not place well in good competition because they are almost never bred to be USEF hunters and therefore often do not go like the ideal USEF hunter. It's a given that when judging hunters, you want the horse that best represents the ideal hunter. That said, there are QHs who can and do win on both the QH circuit and the A circuit. But the reason a Paint might not place well at a hunter show is a) stock breeds typically have shorter strides, b) stock breeds are typically not bred to move like a USEF hunter; the ideal HUS horse moves differently than the ideal hunter, and c) stock breeds are generally not bred to jump whereas pony and warmblood breeders value the quality of the jump very highly and thus breed for that. If you think that TBs as a whole are considered by most people as high-quality horses in the hunter world, you need to get out more. There is a "classic hunter look" and because we are judging hunters, we want the horse to look like a hunter. Just like when you are judging a QH or Arab or driving or reining horse, the nicest horse (and the nicest horse wins) is the horse that best represents the breed or discipline ideal. A horse that looks like a hunter will walk into the ring with a higher score than a horse that does not. For example, Garfield might walk in with a 95 and go from there depending on his trip. If I walk into the ring on a backyard-bred Saddlebred/QH cross, I might well start out with a 65 and go from there. Therefore Garfield can make a considerable amount of mistakes before I could beat him with as perfect of a trip as my horse can put down because he overall is the nicer hunter. That, however, does not mean that the judge looks at Garfield and thinks "Oh, he's a warmblood. I'm not even going to bother watching him go because I'm going to automatically pin him first simply because he's a warmblood." It shows so much ignorance when you try to dumb it all down to "The judge hates my horse and the only reason is that he is x breed or x color." And honestly, at the schooling show to C show level (maybe even B shows from what I've heard), where there are a lot of people making a lot of mistakes, you can do well with a horse that's not very nice. Hell, I've won a pretty good number of classes on my backyard-shit-bred Paint/Tennessee Walking Horse/god-knows-what-else cross pony against warmbloods (albeit green ones ;]) on the C circuit. That is NOT because he is a poorly put together paint pony that moves like a sewing machine; it's because he is extremely consistent, has a canter like a metronome, doesn't jump dangerously, and has a good lead change. I had much more success on him than on my Dutch Warmblood. When I did do well on her, it was NOT because she's a warmblood, it was because she jumped well, could walk the lines, and got her changes. -Hannah

THANK YOU.

Also I would like to add that Hunters is so political, besides judging if your horse has the USEF hunter look they judge other things. They are judging you for who your trainer is. If your pony has a farm name like Clovermeade or Rabbit Hill's they look at who bred it. They are judging what type of rider you are, Are you Daisy Farish or some random rider they have never heard of. How is the rider and pony turned out, are the pony socks stained and the riders boots a mess? All of that can put you at a 100-60 just to start off the course.

Banner By Abra

|~|•Reilly•|~|•Sonador•|~|•The Crowne Prince•|~|•Hip-Hop•|~|

Post #1969113
Posted 8/19/2013 6:06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Last Login: 9/11/2016 12:40:40 PM
UrsaMinor (8/18/2013)
[quote]BackToBedlam (8/11/2013)

I'm sorry but this is one of my biggest pet peeves.
Stock type horses generally do not place well in good competition because they are almost never bred to be USEF hunters and therefore often do not go like the ideal USEF hunter. It's a given that when judging hunters, you want the horse that best represents the ideal hunter. That said, there are QHs who can and do win on both the QH circuit and the A circuit. But the reason a Paint might not place well at a hunter show is a) stock breeds typically have shorter strides, b) stock breeds are typically not bred to move like a USEF hunter; the ideal HUS horse moves differently than the ideal hunter, and c) stock breeds are generally not bred to jump whereas pony and warmblood breeders value the quality of the jump very highly and thus breed for that.

If you think that TBs as a whole are considered by most people as high-quality horses in the hunter world, you need to get out more.

There is a "classic hunter look" and because we are judging hunters, we want the horse to look like a hunter. Just like when you are judging a QH or Arab or driving or reining horse, the nicest horse (and the nicest horse wins) is the horse that best represents the breed or discipline ideal. A horse that looks like a hunter will walk into the ring with a higher score than a horse that does not. For example, Garfield might walk in with a 95 and go from there depending on his trip. If I walk into the ring on a backyard-bred Saddlebred/QH cross, I might well start out with a 65 and go from there. Therefore Garfield can make a considerable amount of mistakes before I could beat him with as perfect of a trip as my horse can put down because he overall is the nicer hunter.
That, however, does not mean that the judge looks at Garfield and thinks "Oh, he's a warmblood. I'm not even going to bother watching him go because I'm going to automatically pin him first simply because he's a warmblood." It shows so much ignorance when you try to dumb it all down to "The judge hates my horse and the only reason is that he is x breed or x color."

And honestly, at the schooling show to C show level (maybe even B shows from what I've heard), where there are a lot of people making a lot of mistakes, you can do well with a horse that's not very nice. Hell, I've won a pretty good number of classes on my backyard-shit-bred Paint/Tennessee Walking Horse/god-knows-what-else cross pony against warmbloods (albeit green ones ;]) on the C circuit. That is NOT because he is a poorly put together paint pony that moves like a sewing machine; it's because he is extremely consistent, has a canter like a metronome, doesn't jump dangerously, and has a good lead change. I had much more success on him than on my Dutch Warmblood. When I did do well on her, it was NOT because she's a warmblood, it was because she jumped well, could walk the lines, and got her changes.

-Hannah[/quote]

I completly got what you just said. But, I never said that they just pin warmbloods because they're pretty. I've experienced on my show circuts that judges are incredibly biased on breeds and colors. I've seen paints bred specifically for hunters that have pinned lower, if they have a better rider than the warmblood that's in the ring, because that horse is a paint. Generally, it doesn't happen, but when it does, it really ticks everyone off.

And I don't think TB's are the nicest horses at all. How sheltered do you think I am?

sara and jetson

Post #1969116
Posted 8/19/2013 9:45:22 AM

Last Login: 8/7/2016 1:02:38 PM
I love ALL horses,but my 2 easy favorites are Morgans and pintos. Since Robin is a pinto and almost every horse at my barn is a Morgan. And i also ride one. :) for showing i think Morgans are really good because their gait is SO smooth. or i think so. :D

Ellie & Magic

Loyal Warrior

1/7/15 <3

Post #1969149
Posted 8/19/2013 10:01:18 AM

Last Login: 2/2/2016 8:44:11 AM
im sorta annoyed at minitures because theres so many topics about them ugh.
i love big horses
there is a welsh pony that is a racer and he goes fast really fast hes my bros

Post #1969152
Posted 8/19/2013 5:14:21 PM
Advanced Member

Last Login: 11/25/2017 7:35:59 PM
BackToBedlam (8/19/2013)
UrsaMinor (8/18/2013)
[quote]BackToBedlam (8/11/2013)
I completly got what you just said. But, I never said that they just pin warmbloods because they're pretty. I've experienced on my show circuts that judges are incredibly biased on breeds and colors. I've seen paints bred specifically for hunters that have pinned lower, if they have a better rider than the warmblood that's in the ring, because that horse is a paint. Generally, it doesn't happen, but when it does, it really ticks everyone off.And I don't think TB's are the nicest horses at all. How sheltered do you think I am?

Judges DO pin warmbloods because they're pretty. A to win, a hunter has to be attractive; that's the entire point of the discipline. An attractive warmblood will pin above an ugly Paint. An attractive Paint will pin above an ugly warmblood.
Literally nobody breeds Paints for the purpose of being hunters. Yes huntseat horses, not hunters. There are warmbloods bred for color but the majority of them have Art Deco in them and IME he doesn't throw terribly nice hunters and they often are not the top horses in the hunters because of that.
Hunters are not judged on the rider at all. If you put a chimpanzee on a nice horse and they find eight jumps/get through the a hack without incident, that ride will be rewarded. The level of the rider has absolutely no bearin

Yeah, you'll get the local-yokel type judges at local-yokel type shows that don't know how to judge hunters, but no licensed hunter judge will judge a class on breed or color. All the better reason to do your homework and know your judges. If you know you'll likely be showing under an unlicensed judge, either save your money and don't enter the show or accept that it is what it is and treat the show as a schooling experience. Or switch to jumpers.
Honestly, the vast majority of the time the reason behind poor hunter judging is because the judge is a stock type breed show judge, and those will almost always pin the even semi-typey QH/Paint/App above a nicer TB or warmblood type. I can honestly say I'm more than 99% sure I've won classes because I was riding a Paint (4- H shows lulz). I can also honestly say that I have never once been pinned unfairly low because I was riding a Paint (rated hunter shows and 4-H shows).

"It's not just warmbloods/TBs that can jump."

-Hannah

juliette

Post #1969216
Posted 8/24/2013 6:47:07 AM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 5/27/2016 7:19:55 PM
THE-Pony-Kid (8/10/2013)
I dislike draft crosses for jumping and Thoroughbreds are eh.
xDD tell that to the numerous awesome jumping draft crosses I know? Granted a lot of them aren't obviously half draft xD. NO KNOCKING TB'S EITHER D:

-----------

the night hath been to me a more familiar face than that of man; and in her starry shade of dim and solitary loveliness i learned the language of another world.
I'm happy in summertime beneath the dark blue sky, nae thinkin in the mornin at nicht where i'm gang to lie
bothies or byres or barns, or oot amangst the hay,and if the weather does permit, I'm happy a' the day.

.holding my rebel banner up with pride.
Post #1970054
Posted 8/25/2013 8:33:53 AM

Last Login: 9/12/2014 11:26:37 PM
THE-Pony-Kid (8/10/2013)
I dislike draft crosses for jumping and Thoroughbreds are eh.
tell that to Dandy, who was the best jumper at my old barn and was half Percheron. xD

Kathy | Star

arte non vi: through skill, not force

Personal Tumblr | Indie Tumblr | Youtube

Post #1970187
Posted 8/25/2013 8:35:53 AM

Advanced Member

draft crosses are the best and Dewey was one of the best jumpers I've ever known he loves it

abrakadabra
Post #1970188
Posted 8/25/2013 4:14:04 PM

Average Member

I think that a warmblood will 99% of the time win the model. The O/F and TB can win if it's the right horse. There are TB's that will be a winning hunter, then one that is not, then a warmblood that s*cks.
It really depends on the horse I think...because in pony hunters welsh's are at the top shows winning. In jumpers it really really really depends on the horse. There can be a paint, TB, or warmblood winning. not so much for QH but they can be out there.

You really can't say paints won't win, because paints can have one white mark not on the head and above the knee and they are considered a paint.

Post #1970256
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 7:27am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation