Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Forum Assistance & Announcements » Forum Questions & Suggestions » Riding and driving question

Riding and driving question Expand / Collapse
Author

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 10/15/2014 2:42:42 PM
So I got a Haflinger. He rides and drives. His owner said he is the one out of the team (which is now nonexistent) that he likes to drive, the other one was a nicer ride. I've not ridden alot so I don't know what a smooth ride is and don't care if I don't have a smooth ride. Well, I got a trainer and he says you either ride OR drive, not both. I understand that the horse cannot be excellent in riding AND in driving but he's good at both. I guess what I'm getting at is; Do you think it's possible to ride and drive him?

Another thing; The trainer I'm beginning to work with says you should ride without a bit. What do you think?

Basically the trainer's logic is this; for driving you have to keep a little bit of tension on the reins where for riding you aren't supposed to. (the gentleman that had the Haflinger first said to have a little tension on the reins while riding. Do you know why?) So the trainer says by having tension in one place and not in another it confuses the horse. Is this true? Like I said; My horse seems to be fine riding and driving and does not seem confused. Please help!

I'm sorry for all the reading material and questions but I NEED HELP!

My name is Hannah but to keep from being confused with the other Hannah, call me 'Joy'. My horse is N Vee. 

Never aproach a horse from the back,

a goat from the front, or a fool from any side.

My name is Jenna and I am in joint account with my sister, Hannah. My horse is Star. I made my banner.

Post #1949963
Posted 5/30/2013 12:37:40 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 6/26/2016 9:16:11 PM
I'm not trying to be rude here, but your trainer sounds... interesting. Are you riding English or western? If you're riding English, you definitely ARE supposed have tension in the reins, and whether to ride in a bit or not is a choice, not a thing that you either should or should not do. Some horses like being ridden without a bit, and some don't, it all depends on the horse's needs and what you're comfortable with. However, last I checked (and I could be wrong), in English I don't think you can show without a bit, so that's something to consider.

With that being said, your horse shouldn't get confused by difference in "tension in the reins," because there really shouldn't be a difference in the tension in the reins. Honestly, I think your horse would be fine doing both, I've heard of several horses that do; in fact, I've heard of a lot of top driving horses that get dressage training under saddle to help them in the dressage phase of competitive driving.   

Also, just for future reference, you'll get more responses if you move this to either the English riding, western riding, or horse training board. :)

Used to be Princeshelby

equine blogfandom/personal blogmusic blog

My horse is Max. You can call me Shelby.

Post #1950681
Posted 5/31/2013 6:01:26 AM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 10/15/2014 2:42:42 PM
Thank you! I realized this was in the wrong category after I posted it. Oops!
I ride western.
This trainer is different than others. He seems to be going with what a horse would do to a horse. Something like that anyway.
Could I move my question without having to type it all up again?

My name is Hannah but to keep from being confused with the other Hannah, call me 'Joy'. My horse is N Vee. 

Never aproach a horse from the back,

a goat from the front, or a fool from any side.

My name is Jenna and I am in joint account with my sister, Hannah. My horse is Star. I made my banner.

Post #1950975
Posted 5/31/2013 7:31:55 AM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 6/26/2016 9:16:11 PM
You could copy and paste. :)

Used to be Princeshelby

equine blogfandom/personal blogmusic blog

My horse is Max. You can call me Shelby.

Post #1950986
Posted 11/16/2013 5:01:50 PM

Last Login: 11/26/2015 9:55:59 AM
If you ride western, you're not supposed to have tension on the leins a lot, and if your horse has a smooth ride or gait, it means that it is comfortable to ride, and not bouncy or uncomfortable. I don't know that much about driving, so I'm afraid I can't help you there, but good luck and I hope this helps!

_ horselover11

Only those who risk going too far, can possibly find, how far they can go.

Post #1985055
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 5:13pm

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation