Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Horse Breeds » Icelandic Horses

Icelandic Horses Expand / Collapse
Author

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 9/18/2013 1:39:50 PM
I have an Icelandic Horse named Stjarna and was wondering if anyone else owns, rides or likes them. I LOVE MINE<3

I AM EMMA

http://www.icelandichorses.com/horses.php

This This amazing banner was made by Bree (Babidollroxs591).

Love you Stjarna!

Post #1834893
Posted 8/15/2012 8:37:23 PM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

The Icelandic horse is a breed of horse developed in Iceland. Although the horses are small, at times pony-sized, most registries for the Icelandic refer to it as a horse. Icelandic horses are long-lived and hardy. In their native country they have few diseases; Icelandic law prevents horses from being imported into the country and exported animals are not allowed to return.
The Icelandic displays two gaits in addition to the typical walk, trot, and canter/gallop. The first additional gait is a four-beat lateral ambling gait known as the tölt. This is known for its explosive acceleration and speed; it is also comfortable and ground-covering. [It ranges] from the speed of a typical fast walk up to the speed of a normal canter. Some Icelandic horses prefer to tölt, while others prefer to trot; correct training can improve weak gaits, but the tölt is a natural gait present from birth. The tölt is variously compared to similar lateral gaits such as the rack of the Saddlebred, the largo of the Paso Fino, or the running walk of the Tennessee Walking Horse.The breed also performs a pace called a skeið, flugskeið or "flying pace". It is used in pacing races, and is fast and smooth, with some horses able to reach up to 30 miles per hour (48 km/h).[10] Not all Icelandic horses can perform this gait; animals that perform both the tölt and the flying pace in addition to the traditional gaits are considered the best of the breed. The flying pace is a two-beat lateral gait with a moment of suspension between footfalls; each side has both feet land almost simultaneously
The breed is known for its sure-footedness and ability to cross rough terrain The only breed of horse in Iceland, they are also popular internationally, and sizable populations exist in Europe and North America. The breed is still used for traditional farm work in its native country, as well as for leisure, showing, and racing.

^cut and pasted from wiki.

I AM EMMA

Love you Stjarna!

Post #1835259
Posted 8/16/2012 8:29:35 AM

anyone...?

I AM EMMA

Love you Stjarna!

Post #1835333
Posted 8/16/2012 4:12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 5/23/2015 4:30:48 PM
they're adorable, i love them <3
how do you pronounce your horse's name?

Kira & Punk'n

Post #1835516
Posted 8/16/2012 5:12:25 PM

Honestly, we'er not exactly sure how to pronounce her name since different people have told us different things but I think the j is silent- Star-na.

I AM EMMA

Love you Stjarna!

Post #1835543
Posted 8/18/2012 5:58:11 AM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 9/11/2016 12:40:40 PM
I'm too tall.
;(
but, I've seen them at NEEA and they tried to bang out of their stalls and eat
me. ;(

sara and jetson

Post #1835915
Posted 8/18/2012 12:12:25 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 10/24/2012 3:30:21 PM
They are adorable<3 I don't know anything about them, but they are so cool!

Please, call me Trinity

One horse, one love. RIP, Charles(the first horse i ever rode)

Thanks Lisa!

http://lmbtfy.com/?q=how+to+become+a+ninja

Post #1836036
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 11:18am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation