Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » English Riding » Tips for sitting the canter.

12»»

Tips for sitting the canter. Expand / Collapse
Author

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 9/12/2014 11:26:37 PM
um hi
yeah if anyone has a "technique" for sitting the canter please tell me :3
if there is such a thing... lol

Kathy | Star

arte non vi: through skill, not force

Personal Tumblr | Indie Tumblr | Youtube

Post #1821449
Posted 7/3/2012 11:33:32 AM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 9/21/2014 7:09:42 PM
this may not be helpful to you, but what i focus on is putting ALL my weight in my heels, and feel like im sinking into the saddle. If you've ever gone scubadiving before, then you will know that feeling where youre deflating the BC and you sink into the water heavily. I think of that. I also do stirrupless and bareback work once to twice a week, which helps with your seat in all three gaits a lot.
=)

Shy ♥ Rahel ♥ Wameka

michaela made this perf banner | rock and roll has been saved.

Post #1821466
Posted 7/3/2012 12:37:48 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 9/9/2012 6:40:41 PM
Practice and time can cure all. x)

---
death leaves a heartache nothing can heal,
love leaves a memory nobody can steal.
September 1989 - May 20, 2011.
R.I.P. Opie

Post #1821478
Posted 7/3/2012 2:01:38 PM

Theorem (7/3/2012)
I somehow knew someone would say that :P

Kathy | Star

Post #1821507
Posted 7/3/2012 2:34:16 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 11/9/2012 12:44:41 PM
Drop your stirrups. Fastest way to learn to sit anything.
Also do a lot of work on your core (very important) and it can't hurt to stretch every day to loosen up your muscles, which will make it easier to sit.

- - -
Hannah

Coquette - "Mercedes"
Cloud 9 - "Cloud"
Caught In The Act - "Dallas"
Post #1821525
Posted 7/3/2012 4:33:29 PM

Last Login: 8/18/2014 9:44:28 PM
Just try and keep a relaxed lower back, but a deep seat. I know that sounds like you can't do one while doing the other, but you can.
Also think of moving your hips 'forward, up, down, forward, up, down' with the horse.

You've had enough, but just don't give up. Stick to your guns, you are worth fighting for. You know we've all got battle scars, keep marching on.

Post #1821563
Posted 7/3/2012 5:35:09 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 11/21/2013 2:41:43 PM
This girl on tumblr told someone to make the motion of your hips like an ice cream scooper.
That helped me.

♥ Don't you dare look out your w i n d o w, darling everything's on fire

Post #1821608
Posted 7/3/2012 6:55:35 PM

BarebackIsBest (7/3/2012)
This girl on tumblr told someone to make the motion of your hips like an ice cream scooper. That helped me.

That sounds like it could help!

And pfft no I am not dropping my stirrups. :P I've only cantered like... 10 times in my entire life... xD

Kathy | Star

Post #1821628
Posted 7/3/2012 11:41:35 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 5/3/2013 9:20:18 PM
Just try to focus on wrapping your legs around the horse. itll make your legs stronger and then help with sitting the canter. I LOVE the icecream scoop one

<3 Melissa <3

This beautiful banner was made by Abra :)

Post #1821665
Posted 7/4/2012 6:10:43 AM
Advanced Member

equinestar12 (7/3/2012)
Theorem (7/3/2012)
I somehow knew someone would say that :P

Lol, well it's true. It's like .. someone can give you tips on how to shoot free throws, but until you get your own rhythm and become used to it, you won't be good.
And omg no please don't drop your stirrups. That'll only make you tense up, dropping your stirrups is not the solution to every eq-related problem. :3

---
R.I.P. Opie

Post #1821684
Posted 7/4/2012 6:16:26 AM

Advanced Member

Last Login: Today @ 6:16:05 AM
Just drop your stirrups, it will help you really feel the motion of the horse in get into it, if you are nervous to do that, have your trainer put you on a lunge line. It will help a lot.

"Life is suffering. It is hard. The world is cursed but still you find reasons to keep living."

Post #1821689
Posted 7/4/2012 6:34:38 AM

Advanced Member

Theorem (7/4/2012)
And omg no please don't drop your stirrups. That'll only make you tense up, dropping your stirrups is not the solution to every eq-related problem. :3

I didn't know before I said that that she was new to cantering.
And no, actually, riding without stirrups strengthens you and teaches you to relax. It's much easier for most people to learn to sit and wrap their legs around the horse, balance, and keep their knee soft without having to worry about what to do with their stirrups (bracing, etc.).
IMO if you're just learning to canter, you shouldn't even be beginning to think about how to sit it. Canter in two-point instead until you begin to strengthen yourself, learn the rhythm of the gait, and just get used to it in general. It also saves your horse's back and mouth.

- - -
Hannah

Coquette - "Mercedes"
Cloud 9 - "Cloud"
Post #1821694
Posted 7/4/2012 6:55:45 AM
Advanced Member

defenestrated (7/4/2012)
Theorem (7/4/2012)

I didn't know before I said that that she was new to cantering.
And no, actually, riding without stirrups strengthens you and teaches you to relax. It's much easier for most people to learn to sit and wrap their legs around the horse, balance, and keep their knee soft without having to worry about what to do with their stirrups (bracing, etc.).
IMO if you're just learning to canter, you shouldn't even be beginning to think about how to sit it. Canter in two-point instead until you begin to strengthen yourself, learn the rhythm of the gait, and just get used to it in general. It also saves your horse's back and mouth.

For a beginner, I don't believe that dropping their stirrups would be easier. She needs to have a security blanket, which are stirrups. She probably doesn't have the upper body and leg strength yet to two-point the canter.

Plus, I think she's in a group lesson program? So she probably has no say over what exercises they do. If her trainer wanted her to two-point or drop her stirrups, I'm sure she'd have them doing that. Unfortunately, it's not practical with beginners.

---
R.I.P. Opie

Post #1821713
Posted 7/4/2012 7:12:02 AM

Advanced Member

Theorem (7/4/2012)
defenestrated (7/4/2012)
Theorem (7/4/2012)
I didn't know before I said that that she was new to cantering.And no, actually, riding without stirrups strengthens you and teaches you to relax. It's much easier for most people to learn to sit and wrap their legs around the horse, balance, and keep their knee soft without having to worry about what to do with their stirrups (bracing, etc.).IMO if you're just learning to canter, you shouldn't even be beginning to think about how to sit it. Canter in two-point instead until you begin to strengthen yourself, learn the rhythm of the gait, and just get used to it in general. It also saves your horse's back and mouth.
For a beginner, I don't believe that dropping their stirrups would be easier. She needs to have a security blanket, which are stirrups. She probably doesn't have the upper body and leg strength yet to two-point the canter.Plus, I think she's in a group lesson program? So she probably has no say over what exercises they do. If her trainer wanted her to two-point or drop her stirrups, I'm sure she'd have them doing that. Unfortunately, it's not practical with beginners.

Yes, I agree.
People who are riding a horse for the first time can two-point. I doubt she's cantering for fifteen minutes; probably just once or twice around the ring.
I didn't know she only rides in lessons; then yeah, obviously she has to do what her trainer tells her to.

edit: quotes

- - -
Hannah

Coquette - "Mercedes"
Cloud 9 - "Cloud"
Post #1821718
Posted 7/4/2012 12:39:38 PM

Theorem (7/4/2012)
defenestrated (7/4/2012)
Theorem (7/4/2012)
I didn't know before I said that that she was new to cantering.And no, actually, riding without stirrups strengthens you and teaches you to relax. It's much easier for most people to learn to sit and wrap their legs around the horse, balance, and keep their knee soft without having to worry about what to do with their stirrups (bracing, etc.).IMO if you're just learning to canter, you shouldn't even be beginning to think about how to sit it. Canter in two-point instead until you begin to strengthen yourself, learn the rhythm of the gait, and just get used to it in general. It also saves your horse's back and mouth.
For a beginner, I don't believe that dropping their stirrupswould beeasier. She needs to have a security blanket, which are stirrups. She probably doesn't have the upper body and leg strength yet to two-point the canter. Plus, I think she's in a group lesson program? So she probably has no say over what exercises they do. If her trainer wanted her to two-point or drop her stirrups, I'm sure she'd have them doing that. Unfortunately, it's not practical with beginners.

Yup yup. :/ It's just that we have a student teacher who is coaching us (ugh) and she's VERY picky about sitting the canter...

Edit: No I'm not cantering for like 15 minutes xD I don't think I have enough balance yet... I can two point the trot no problem /pointless but still don't think I have a "feel" enough for the canter yet if you get what I'm saying. /randomramble

Kathy | Star

Post #1821793
Posted 7/4/2012 8:29:56 PM
Advanced Member

equinestar12 (7/4/2012)
Theorem (7/4/2012)
defenestrated (7/4/2012)
Theorem (7/4/2012)
For a beginner, I don't believe that dropping their stirrupswould beeasier. She needs to have a security blanket, which are stirrups. She probably doesn't have the upper body and leg strength yet to two-point the canter. Plus, I think she's in a group lesson program? So she probably has no say over what exercises they do. If her trainer wanted her to two-point or drop her stirrups, I'm sure she'd have them doing that. Unfortunately, it's not practical with beginners.

Yup yup. :/ It's just that we have a student teacher who is coaching us (ugh) and she's VERY picky about sitting the canter...

Edit: No I'm not cantering for like 15 minutes xD I don't think I have enough balance yet... I can two point the trot no problem /pointless but still don't think I have a "feel" enough for the canter yet if you get what I'm saying. /randomramble

It's almost like riding a bike, like you can't stand up to pedal until you get a good feel for what it's like to sit it.

---
R.I.P. Opie

Post #1822108
Posted 7/5/2012 1:04:42 AM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 7/20/2014 9:58:39 PM
Since you are limited on what you can do the thing thats going to help the most is stretching into your heels, lengthening your leg, and holding your core.

Youtube

Post #1822151
Posted 7/5/2012 6:34:44 AM

Last Login: 2/8/2014 3:46:21 PM
Make sure your breathing. Holding your breath will cause you to tense up, meaning that you cant let yourself go with the motion. Also, what another person said to think of your hips as an ice cream scooper. And, time will help you too. Im pretty sure no one's perfect at the canter the first couple times doing it :)

★Scream until there's nothing left★
Just imagine how someday we'll all be in the olympics
together and be like "hey I know you!"
http://pretty-little-ponies.tumblr.com/ <my tumblr :]

Post #1822186
Posted 7/6/2012 10:40:11 PM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 9/23/2014 1:49:58 PM
The way I learned to sit the canter was from a post on tumblr too! Unfortunately, via the nature of sitting the canter combined with the nature of tumblr, I don't think I should repeat that post on here. At first it's easier to sit a slower canter, I wouldn't drop your stirrups, but don't think you have to brace against them, just think about using your thighs to suck yourself into the saddle, and only sit it for a few strides at a time at first.
I don't know if that was coherent at all because it is 2 AM wheeeeeee

Post #1822796
Posted 7/7/2012 11:07:34 AM

xTinyDancerx (7/6/2012)
The way I learned to sit the canter was from a post on tumblr too! Unfortunately, via the nature of sitting the canter combined with the nature of tumblr, I don't think I should repeat that post on here. At first it's easier to sit a slower canter, I wouldn't drop your stirrups, but don't think you have to brace against them, just think about using your thighs to suck yourself into the saddle, and only sit it for a few strides at a time at first. I don't know if that was coherent at all because it is 2 AM wheeeeeee

Spud's canter is the absolute slowest ever x] that's why I'm using him atm

Kathy | Star

Post #1822899
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 9:29am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation