Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Horse Talk » PMU Foals?

PMU Foals? Expand / Collapse
Author
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 5:51:25 AM
So, a stable that we visited has some PMU foals that they need to adopt out, or find fosters for them. I don't know if I'm ready for a young-er horse, I belive he's almost ...2? In fact my dad said, "Oh, he's probably green"xDD Has anyone adopted or fostered a PMU foal? Like, a minute down my street is a new farm that has plenty of paddocks and large stalls and it's plan is to begin opperation in late July, so there's a place to keep him.

So the story behind the PMU Foal. My dad got out of the car at a farm because I had to go see inside the tack shop. He went over to one of the paddocks and saw a pretty boy by the name of Spitfire. He was petting it and loving on it. My dad said he was "Doscle", "Friendly", and "Behaved". :) I went on their website and found him. It said that he needed a home or to be fostered. They have a program to see if it's the match, that works with riding, horsemanship, grooming, and interaction, that's offered. Do the PMU's need more care than a normal horse?

I don't believe in looks and love in a minute... but, I'm doubting my skill that I would have handling him. Dixie's trainer has a youngster of her own and might be able to help if we do foster him. I've been around horses for 8+ years, but has handled younger horses (plenty of greenies) very unoften. My mother rides and loved horses, and it might be good for the two of us.

Okay. Cookies to who reads this and can give me answers. Thanksss!

Post #1813110
Posted 6/3/2012 4:52:39 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: Today @ 6:00:25 AM
I think as long as you have an expericenced horse person guiding you it would be a great expericence for you and your mum. Rescuing a PMU foal is a great cause. Look into it, talk to your trainer or someone else who is very expericenced with horses. The program sounds like a great oppertunity, to learn along side someone expericenced while also training and caring for your own horse.

"The hardest thing in this world is to live in it."

Post #1813133
Posted 6/3/2012 5:24:10 PM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 3/14/2013 4:52:41 AM
paladin (6/3/2012)
I think as long as you have an expericenced horse person guiding you it would be a great expericence for you and your mum. Rescuing a PMU foal is a great cause. Look into it, talk to your trainer or someone else who is very expericenced with horses. The program sounds like a great oppertunity, to learn along side someone expericenced while also training and caring for your own horse.

+1

Made by Effervescence
Post #1813145
Posted 6/4/2012 8:16:08 AM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 3/7/2014 7:07:11 PM
PeaceofTheMorn (6/3/2012)
[quote]paladin (6/3/2012)

^ that.

Shy ♥ Rahel ♥ Wameka

michaela made this perf banner | rock and roll has been saved.

Post #1813277
Posted 6/4/2012 10:43:26 AM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 4/21/2014 7:18:05 PM
I'm having a stupid moment. What's a PMU foal?

Used to be Princeshelby

Now he understood about animals; and in the moment that the horse turned from the stream and nudged Jonas's shoulder affectionately with its head, he understood the bonds between animal and human.

--The Giver

My horse is Max. You can call me Shelby.

Post #1813304
Posted 6/4/2012 11:19:27 AM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 6/11/2012 3:26:21 PM
JukeboxHero (6/4/2012)
I'm having a stupid moment. What's a PMU foal?

Premarin is a menopause drug, and the active hormone in it is gathered from the urine of pregnant mares, which is where you get the term PMU from, for pregnant mare urine. It's a hormone that's only in their urine when they're pregnant, so the farmers of the mares keep them pregnant year-round. As soon as they foal, they're bred again almost immediately. But the foals have no real purpose, so the farmers sent them to auction or slaughter, or they end up at rescues.

------------------------------------------------------
We Are More

"Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it's the voice at the end of the day that says 'I will try again tomorrow.'"

i love juliette so muchi cant even begin to explain it.
juliette loves me a lot too.
and my pony is named bustarhymes and he's really adorable

Post #1813311
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 9:39am

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation