Young Rider.com
Rules-Read First     Home          Members     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

The Young Rider Forums are open to subscribers of Young Rider magazine ONLY. In order to register, you must have your Account Number. Please note that it takes 1-2 weeks for your subscription to be processed and your account to be activated.

Home » Young Rider Forum » Horse Problems/Training Questions » Horse throws temper tantrums.:(

Horse throws temper tantrums.:( Expand / Collapse
Author
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 9/5/2013 2:04:00 PM
My horse will buck, crow hop, rear, and throw a big temper tantrum when I ask her to canter. When I get her to a nice smooth canter, she grabs the bit and takes off. My mom thinks she is too unpredictable and I might have to sell her.:(

NOTE: She has been looked over by my vet and dentist. And her saddle fits her good so I don't think this is a physical issue.
Post #1725912
Posted 12/8/2011 7:24:13 AM
Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 3/27/2014 8:04:11 AM
Is she rushing into the canter? Sometimes my gelding will crow hop when he does a fast trot to canter, because he is unbalanced. Remember a slow, energetic trot to canter.

Edit: It may be an excess energy problem: try to lunge her before you ride to get some bucks out. How often do you ride her? How old is she? Is she kept in a stall? Does she get a fair amount of turnout?

chloe.baylee.anna
--------------------

I've got troubled thoughts
and the self-esteem to match
what a catch, what a catch

Post #1725916
Posted 12/8/2011 7:41:02 AM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

I have tried lunging her, I have tried everything I can think of. I ride her 5-6 days a week and she gets turned out 8+ hours a day and when she isn't outside, she is in a 10' x 12' stall. She is seven years old
Post #1725919
Posted 12/8/2011 7:57:14 AM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 6/11/2012 3:26:21 PM
Does she have the same behavior if you canter her bareback, or when you ask her to canter on the lunge? Does she canter by herself out in the pasture? Has she always had this behavior or is it something that developed recently? I know you said you've had a vet out, but what about a chiropractor? Do you just think that her saddle fits from what you can tell, or have you had an actual saddle fitter out?
What kind of bit do you have her in?

------------------------------------------------------
We Are More

"Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it's the voice at the end of the day that says 'I will try again tomorrow.'"

i love juliette so muchi cant even begin to explain it.
juliette loves me a lot too.
and my pony is named bustarhymes and he's really adorable

Post #1725924
Posted 12/8/2011 8:16:58 AM
Starting Member

I have had the chiropractor out and a saddle fitter. I haven't seen her canter in the pasture. But she does the same thing bareback but not when I lunge her. Another thing to point out is she has a long back; she has a size 80"-82" blanket, she is 15.2 hands and she has a small head. So do you think that maybe conformationally, she is unable to? The other thing to note is she didn't do this when I first got her.

EDIT: I ride her in a curb bit with loose shanks and the mouthpiece has a little dogbone in it.
Post #1725926
Posted 12/8/2011 5:30:20 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 8/3/2012 8:31:03 AM
Is it when you use leg on her that she cops an attitude? Maybe she is disrespectful to you leg and could benefit from some lateral work and desensitizing to the leg. We also have had problems with my mare cantering-so bad we had a "cowboy" come out to work with her because she would throw a fit when we cantered ( same issues you had and perfectly healthy) . I would reccomend asking the canter from the walk. If she is rushing into the canter with a very fast trot, then the canter is going to be all the faster and unbalanced. try cantering only short bursts, and bring her down before she gets bad, and reward her. I would also focus on cantering more than trotting, trot a little, but honestly a young horse with adequate turn out and who is ridden a lot is fit enough to start cantering. When she gets frustrated, and if you get frustrated, deep breath and go back to what she knows, even if it is just going forward. Hope I helped a little... :)

Thanks Casey!

Post #1726089
Posted 12/8/2011 5:47:41 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: Today @ 8:03:26 PM
Get a more experienced rider on her such as your trainer, and see if she does the same thing.

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit.

Thanks Abra!

Post #1726093
Posted 12/12/2011 4:21:08 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 2/18/2014 4:40:16 PM
velvetn (12/8/2011)
Get a more experienced rider on her such as your trainer, and see if she does the same thing.

That's a good Idea! I was gonna say have a more experienced friend get on her.

.::Sara&Guppy::.
-i have a name for a reason. it's sarause it. please-

It's Kinda Fun To Do The Impossible-Walt Disney

Post #1727629
Posted 12/14/2011 9:01:23 AM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 11/9/2012 12:44:41 PM
snaprocks (12/12/2011)
velvetn (12/8/2011)
That's a good idea! I was gonna say have a more experienced friend get on her.

Yeah, if it's not a medical issue and if she doesn't act up when you canter her on the lunge line, and didn't do this when you got her, you are probably the cause.

- - -
Hannah

Coquette - "Mercedes"
Cloud 9 - "Cloud"
Caught In The Act - "Dallas"
Post #1728064
Posted 12/14/2011 10:27:23 AM
Starting Member

That's what I thought, but shedoes it for anybody who rides her. She even does it to my trainer!
Post #1728078
Posted 12/14/2011 1:24:33 PM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 6/14/2012 1:02:41 PM
well if it isn't her back thats not hurting and nothing "phisically" is hurting her,and she tries it on experienced riders.It just might be Desrespect for you or others? does she do it after you lunge her/him?

v KimkScout foreverv

Banner by me,PM me for one

"Baby you light up my world like no body else."-One Direction <3

Post #1728116
Posted 12/15/2011 5:57:13 AM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 3/14/2013 4:52:41 AM
iluvmypintohorse (12/14/2011)
well if it isn't her back thats not hurting and nothing "phisically" is hurting her,and she tries it on experienced riders.It just might be Desrespect for you or others? does she do it after you lunge her/him?

What she said and I will add:  Do you wear srurs when you ride? I have known riders who always let their srurs brush against the horses belly when they rode and the horse was so sick and tired of it when they went to canter it turned out exactly like you are describing.

Made by Effervescence

Post #1728368
Posted 12/15/2011 7:20:15 AM
Starting Member

No, I don't ride with spurs. Yes, she does it after I lunge her.
Post #1728386
Posted 12/16/2011 2:25:02 PM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 11/9/2012 12:44:41 PM
Fillyfrenzy (12/14/2011)
That's what I thought, but shedoes it for anybody who rides her. She even does it to my trainer!

then you've got a ****ty trainer.

- - -
Hannah

Coquette - "Mercedes"
Cloud 9 - "Cloud"
Caught In The Act - "Dallas"
Post #1728782
Posted 12/16/2011 3:51:06 PM
Starting Member

{defenestrated} (12/16/2011)
[quote]Fillyfrenzy (12/14/2011)

then you've got a ****ty trainer.[/quote]

Lol my trainer thinks I have a ****y horse!
Post #1728827
Posted 12/16/2011 4:04:33 PM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 3/14/2013 4:52:41 AM
Fillyfrenzy (12/15/2011)
No, I don't ride with spurs.

Ok, we can scratch that off the list then.  I thought of one more possiblity, if you are feeding a high energy feed then your mare could have excess energy she wants to burn off, and acting up is her way of expending pent up energy. Next time you turn her out in a paddock, watch her and see how she acts on her own.  If she's calm and normal, or canters without doing anything crazy then we can assume it's a behavior problem(wich probably wouldn't be too hard to fix), if not it probably has to do with what she's eating.

Made by Effervescence

Post #1728835
Posted 12/21/2011 6:01:55 PM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 2/22/2012 12:52:57 PM
Was your horse previously a driving horse?

Libby & Majic

Post #1731291
Posted 12/22/2011 4:38:32 AM
Starting Member

No, I don't think she was ever driven.
Post #1731425
Posted 12/22/2011 4:34:52 PM

Average Member

Last Login: 2/22/2012 12:52:57 PM
Majic used to be driven and I couldn't get him to canter for two years other than on a lunge, he was taught not to, like most driving horses. Slow down to a slow sitting trot, outside leg waaaay back, heel up digging into side (exaggerate aids) keep contact, don't let his head down to buck. After that it just takes time and a lot of patience.

Libby & Majic

Post #1731683
Posted 12/23/2011 11:20:32 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 12/1/2012 5:40:30 PM
how long have you had her?  

What type of saddle do you use? English saddles put a lot of weight in just one area, so her back might be sore or the saddle's tree could be pinching her back because the tree is broken. 

You might just have to have to use a different saddle or bit. My horse's saddle and bit have to be the right ones or she'll throw you.

Those are just some ideas.  Hope i helped.  

Call me Arya

Pronounced Are-ee-uh

RIP Waldow September 19, 2012

Made By HeartSoul&Horses

We are horse people- you don't have to understand us! We know that all external medicine is either waterproof, blue or yellow. We have no problem eating a sandwich directly after mucking stalls. We know, why a thermometer has to have a string attached to the end. We are not welcome in laundromats. We don't think anything sexual if someone talks about chains, whips or leather. We can lower our voic...e instantly by 5 octaves to shout at a horse pawing at the floor. We would sooner quit a relationship than our hobby. We talk to our car to make it up the hill. We have better insurance for our horse than our car. We know more about our horses diet than our own. We buy grain and hay before buying our own food. We have less to wear than our horse. Its common to see us wearing barn clothes in public. And we know that mucking a stable is the best cure for depression

Post #1731933
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, yrboss, YRmod, Community Moderator

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 10:06pm

HOME | MAGAZINE | FIND A HORSE | SHOPPING | RESOURCES | CONTACT US | ADVERTISE

shopanimalnetwork.com | Dog Fancy | Cat Fancy | Horse Illustrated | Reptiles | Remember Our Pets
Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc. Animal Network
nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+
Copyright ©  BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use * Guidelines for Participation